• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.5 Grinders

jeeppoor

I have burned 2 grinders up with in the last year. Not harbor freight.
Using then with a cut off wheel.
What is everyone else using?

I have a porter cable. On my second one. First one lasted 6-7 years. It's the only one I could find with a trigger that felt comfortable. I ran a wire wheel on it for 6 hours a couple weekends ago and she's still going. I'd replace this one with another...

I've got 3 and all 3 are different brands. First is a 10+ year old hitchai that just wont die. Second is a DeWalt ($60 unit) that is meh, actually burnt the first one up after a hot supper with a diamond cut off wheel. Third is a Milwaukee that I like so far, definitely a better unit than the DeWalt and costs about the same. Probably going to replace the DeWalt with another Milwaukee when it dies.

I have been running dewalt for years with no issue. I have three right now set up for different attachments. The one i use for grinding and cutoff wheels has a paddleswitch and gets alot of use. I have had no issues however i will say i have used dewalt for concrete work and they will burn out quick with concrete dust.

I will say Milwaukee seems to be the current leader in tools right now. I would not be afraid to buy one of theirs if I need one.

Well went a Milwaukee.
I have an old black and decker (about 30 years old) that is still usable. But it is a pain in the ass to change wheels on.
I had bought another blank and decker afew years ago but you tell the quality was not there.
The last one I bought (and it went up in flames LOL) was a Metabo. It lasted about 6 months. I could tall after about month of using it that it was not going to last. It would bong down when using a cut off wheel.
Hopefully the Milwaukee will last us a while.

I have good luck with the small Dewalt's with the side switch for cutoff wheels and flap disks. I have a beefy Milwaukee 4.5 that I use for the big wire brush or anything that needs a lot of pressure. I have a lot of hrs and years on them all and they have treated me well. I dont leave them in the rain or let dirt and grit in the motor though.

Every brand has different levels. Get the best one for running cut off wheels. Especially if you like to run 6" wheels on a 4.5" grinder.
Get an "ok" one for running sanding pads
And a cheap harbor freight for wire wheel.

or get all good ones if you want to spend the money

I've got a few and bought many. The $30ish ones from HF actually hold up pretty decent and they run smooth vs the cheap ones that vibrate you to death. And I have a Milwaukee that's been awesome and actually lasted the longest of any grinder I've had.

Side switch dewalts for me 80% of the time, I abuse them daily and only issue I've had was wearing out the brushes in them after a while. It's nothing to swap a new set in and they are only about 5 bucks a pair tho. Been using a paddle switch dewalt recently, bigger motor then the side switch, to early to know how long the brushes will last in it but it's already been through 2 orders from benchmark and aint missing a beat.

I got one of those fancy Milwaukee m18 brushless for Christmas. Didn't think I'd like dealing with batteries but they last so long I never take my corded grinder out of the toolbox anymore.

Bonus: if I'm working on a small project, I can take it with me to the steel warehouse and cut up what I need to fit in the back of the truck in the parking lot. I don't have to lug the trailer there just for a few sticks

i used a harbor freight grinder for over 10 years. Cutting grinding built 3 cages using it to notch tube thing would get hot as **** but would never die. The only reason it got retired is because the case split apart and the tape wasn't holding it any more.

I got one of the new dewalt brushless 6" grinders recently. It has loads of torque and will take 4.5 grinding wheels if needed. One thing I really like about it is the overload/brake setup. It senses rpm and will cut off if you hang it instead if it kicking back. It works well and doesn't trip during normal use. The electric brake is really nice not having to wait for it to spin down before setting it down.

Everyone I know around here said stay away from Harbor Freight ones. They will not even last a week. But I do not know what brand or model ones they were buying from them either.

Ive akways had good luck with a walmart black n decker.
Harbor freight been good too for 10 bucks
Big ass Milwaukee that wears your arm out for cleaning torch crap off of axles..
2 for flap wheels
1 for grinding wheel
1 for cut off wheel.
Scattered all over the place usually

We abuse the hell out of our grinders at work, we have Bosch and dewalt. For big cut off wheels, be sure to get the bigger 13Amp grinders. They hold up a lot better.

One Milwaukee that I have had forever and love. Then added a couple of Porter Cable when there was a screaming deal on Garage Journal. They are good. And a Ridgid which vibrates a lot. Not a fan of that one.

I've got one of the DeWalt 11 amp paddle switch models that I've had for every bit of 10 years and just this year I had to put some new brushes in it. She's back up and running and not missing a beat. About 2 years ago I got a Milwaukee 11 amp paddle switch model and it's strong as can be, but nowhere near as compact as the DeWalt so I typically reach for the DeWalt. Then this last year I picked up a Milwaukee M18 Fuel grinder which I reach for more often than either of the wired versions. Throw a 12 amp/hr battery in and let it eat...

Latest posts