• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

40 spline with stock Dana 60 inncers c's or solid inner C's?

collinmaune

What companies make a 40 spline axle shaft that fit in the stock size dana 60 inner C's. Wanting to start building a 14 bolt for the next build and trying to weigh my options on the front end which knuckle set to go with to accommodate the 40 spline shafts

Foote makes 1480 joint 40 spline shafts

Not sure if there is another source besides Branik, but that's who I've seen advertise them.

Branik says they are finishing up a set of 300m 40 spline. As for the u joints I think ouverson is the only way to go. I think they how them bacon boys get away with running yukons for the longest time. Ive heard the RCVS break at the joints just trying to weigh my options here.

This is another reason I didn't go with the 14 bolt front. I feel like if I was gonna go to a 14 bolt I woukd want to run 40 spline spool. Well if you are going to run that combo your shaft becomes your weak link. If I were going this route I would step up to the bigger outer and run the bigger shafts. I know that option starts getting real pricey which is why i didnt do it but if you "need" a 40 spline 14 seems you would need to go all out.

collinmaune said:
What companies make a 40 spline axle shaft that fit in the stock size dana 60 inner C's. Wanting to start building a 14 bolt for the next build and trying to weigh my options on the front end which knuckle set to go with to accommodate the 40 spline shafts

Personally I think this is a waste of money unless you step up to the big knuckles and rockwell size u-joint or CV. You're just transferring the weak link from the shaft to the joint. You're still going to spend a whole lot of money on 40 spline parts but you'll be stuck with a 1 ton u-joint.

I need to learn more out the unit bearing setup and look into the rock solid performance knuckles, it seems as fab knuckles and c's are not common as they were this time last year

Re:

When I was pricing shafts I remember RCV saying no point in going 40 spline unless you go bigger joint, or bell in their case. So then you add cost of c's and knuckles that will fit big joint or big RVC bell... IMO, if I'm going to go that $$$... you're back at the 14bolt gears being the weak link and probably should have D80 centers...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jordan7118 said:
I thought Rock Solid Performance closed their doors?

collinmaune said:
I need to learn more out the unit bearing setup and look into the rock solid performance knuckles, it seems as fab knuckles and c's are not common as they were this time last year

They did. And I don't think their "big knuckles" were ever their own knuckles. Its just a f-550 knuckle and c as far I could tell.

Re:

mrdrinksalil said:
When I was pricing shafts I remember RCV saying no point in going 40 spline unless you go bigger joint, or bell in their case. So then you add cost of c's and knuckles that will fit big joint or big RVC bell... IMO, if I'm going to go that $$$... you're back at the 14bolt gears being the weak link and probably should have D80 centers...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you're worried about the 14 bolt R&P being the weak link you got bigger problems. Unless you ride harder than Bobby Tanner or TC you'll be fine.

Latest posts