• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

40" treps

I've run 37" Treps, and 39" Reds on my buggy. The reds hands down work better for me. Maybe its the size difference? But I never put a hole in a Trep sidewall, and I think I qualify as a pro at doing it to reds.

Matt O. said:
Maxxis makes their **** way too damn hard to get. BFG is not easy, but it is possible. If Maxxis wants to be the name of choice they should think about doing more with their Grass roots program.

I just think it's shitty you gotta run big ass stickers and attend X amount of events to qualify to BUY sticky tires. I think that's a total load of bullshit.

and Maxxis will never be the name of choice until they give non competition CONSUMERS the CHOICE to BUY... I doubt they are making much if any $$ off selling a niche tire to the 100-200 maybe racers in their program. How about a several thousand average joe trail wheelers. Make the product attainable and the best tire will win popularity---and deem the best company most success... Why do you think Interco's are so popular? Because you CAN buy them.

Maxxis is a solid tire, just sucks they are so fawking rediculous price/unnatainable.

I was always under the impression a lot of it centered around the fact that the tires are not DOT compliant. They did not want the average Joe buying them and putting them on a DD/trail rig. Now that could be just a load of bull.

bigsilly said:
I was always under the impression a lot of it centered around the fact that the tires are not DOT compliant. They did not want the average Joe buying them and putting them on a DD/trail rig. Now that could be just a load of bull.

The Maxxis are DOT compiant, they will just not last long on the street

I would like to shoe up a set of 40" treps though. Same size'ish as the big Red's, and do it on my buggy. That would be the tell right there for me.
I really looked over Doug Bigelows new Treps in Mo., and they were SO SOFT! They felt like they should stick to the ceiling.

As for price. Sorry I dont know their comp pricing, but agree they are nearly unattainable. I tried to get setup with Maxxis when I decided to compete. I was running the 37" Treps, and wanted to stay Maxxis, but their salesmen never called me back. I did get one email back, and it was to tell me that he wasn't handling that segment anymore and referred me to the guy that I never heard from. Creighton on the other hand has been awesome, and super helpful. That would be one reason to switch in my mind, is the support.

BFG doesn't even handle their own program, it is another company that takes care of that, and support? Sorry haven't seen any except the big brown truck dropping off tires at the shop.

Matt O. said:
Ha, ha. He has had neither which makes him an expert on the topic! :flipoff1: I will go back and say for the 100th time that you cannot compare any two tires unless it is on the same vehicle. I have never done that, not many have. I did read that trail riders are having better luck airing the Maxxis down to 4-5 psi, instead of the 8-10 psi run in Krawlers. My Maxxis worked better than my IROK's on the TJ. Krawlers work really good on my buggy.

Greg can he has had both the Krawlers and the CC and if you ask him I bet he would tell you that the Krawlers hook up better but the CC has alot better side wall. From my understanding he used to cut down Krawlers like every other trip and the CC's have helpd up much better. I have the CC's and love them but I have never ran the Red Krawlers only the blue 37's.

Matt

bigsilly said:

That has a lot to do with it. I have asked several times at work why can't they just sell us the Reds. They told me they really only wanted the guys who run comps to have them.

bigsilly said:
Yeah, I know they are. I was referring to the BFG's.

The reds are much easier to get than the Maxxis. You see them on he trail all the damn time. Part of it is that they have been around much longer, but still their racer requirements are much easier to deal with.

Umm, the Maxxis are easier to get. They are available to the public on their website. Now price? Thats the problem, they are re-damn-diculous in price to buy them as John Q. Public off the street.

40" Creepy is $797.25 on their website
37" Trep is $643.95 on their website

The 40" Trep is listed in their products but not yet available in their store.

Why would you buy that tire, when a BFG is half that?

Matt O. said:
The reds are much easier to get than the Maxxis. You see them on he trail all the damn time. Part of it is that they have been around much longer, but still their racer requirements are much easier to deal with.
Understood. But it is a liability issue. If they sell the tires on the open market to non-competitors they open themselves up to all kinds of potential liability if there is an accident on the road.

InDaShop said:
Umm, the Maxxis are easier to get. They are available to the public on their website. Now price? Thats the problem, they are re-damn-diculous in price to buy them as John Q. Public off the street.

40" Creepy is $797.25 on their website
37" Trep is $643.95 on their website

The 40" Trep is listed in their products but not yet available in their store.

Why would you buy that tire, when a BFG is half that?

If you were John G. public off the street you can afford to buy them...

Matt O. said:
Ha, ha. He has had neither which makes him an expert on the topic! My Maxxis worked better than my IROK's on the TJ. Krawlers work really good on my buggy.

apples to oranges......42 non sticky to a 40 sticky.....try again...:flipoff1:

MUCHADO said:
I just think it's shitty you gotta run big ass stickers and attend X amount of events to qualify to BUY sticky tires. I think that's a total load of bullshit.

i completely disagree....and by your logic, i should be able to buy the same tires that they put on an F1 car and then complain that they are too $$$......

if you guys would step out of your "trail riding" mindest for a second, you could see through your jealousy to not obtain those tires....and maybe start to understand why a company only deals like that....they make a tire almost identical to it for trail and street use....go buy it.....

under_psi said:
if you guys would step out of your "trail riding" mindest for a second, you could see through your jealousy to not obtain those tires....and maybe start to understand why a company only deals like that....they make a tire almost identical to it for trail and street use....go buy it.....

Thats why we make the Blue Label, for the general public and its not that far behind a red label.

Caddishack18 said:
Have you had both?

Ive had neither I can t afford anything but used tires off Matt O anyway... Im just not a fan of the creeps and I was drunk posting, I think the Krawlers plain work but thats based soley on watching them work on countless rigs for the last 5+ years and hearing people who have had both discuss the subject. I never said I was expert, just voicing my personal opinion.
( again opinion based off of others that can afford tires at this level ) :flipoff1:

This spring I tried to get a maxxis sponsorship. At the time I was planning on running gray rock and uwharriecross in May. They said they would be happy to sponsor me (or anybody) that runs every xrra or we rock event. I wasn't ready to commit to every xrra race so I didn't go any further.

As for people being able to buy sticky tires, they can.

1) Go here: https://www.shopmaxxis.com/b2c/
2) Choose auto/racing tire (on left)
3) Pick your tire

It costs an arm and a leg but it's available.

Matt O. said:
Maxxis makes their **** way too damn hard to get. BFG is not easy, but it is possible. If Maxxis wants to be the name of choice they should think about doing more with their Grass roots program.

Thats what I was tryin to say, you just did it more tactfully laughing1 PRICE of said tire is what keeps the Krawler a better option as well IMO

under_psi said:
i completely disagree....and by your logic, i should be able to buy the same tires that they put on an F1 car and then complain that they are too $$$......

First off.. I can go out and buy those tires. Gotta go through racers but I can get my grips on them. Don't want em. I support a tire company that is in it for the long-haul and supports grass-roots wheelin by selling their products at a FAIR and ATTAINABLE price... Fack son I'm really gonna shell out almost $800 a tire for something I may rip the sidewall on the first trip? I think not... A 44TSL or 42 IROK comes in at right around half the cost of 1 sticky.

You can buy non DOT drag race and circle track tires. What's the difference??

...and you're right they make a tire almost identical for STREET use...

...if you didn't notice my responses ARE biased since I have a deal with interco.. sorry for being unfair and unbalanced laughing1

under_psi said:

You should be able to buy the same tires the racers use. I also look at the performance of those tires in race situations when I choose which tires I want. To say, "Damn, those read labels do great so I'm going to buy BFG MTs" is idiotic. It would be just as idiotic to buy a Camry because toyota won a nascar race.

Don't expect me to buy your street crap because of racer success on specialty tire, that's for morons. As for the price, well I guess it's hard not to complain at $650 for a 37" tire but you have to pay to play. I doubt I'd save any money by running a full xrra series to get a lower price.

I think alot of the guys complaining about the creepies aren't properly breaking them in

right off the truck and onto the rig they won't perform up to their potential