• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

42” Reds VS 43” SX Stickies.

00BIRMINGHAMTJ

So I've Recently Decided To Move Up To A 20" Wheels & Torn Between The 42" Reds VS The 43" SX Stickies. 42" Red Weight is 88lbs @ $960 A Tire. The 43" SX is 129lbs @ $729 a Tire. Here's The Thing I'm A Light Wheeler I Font Really Beat On My Mess Hard @ All But Here Is The Main Thing I Do Drive My Rig On The Road @ Times So I've Talked To Different People & You Get Mixed Opinions On Stickies On The Road But Figured As Many People On This Site Could Give Me A Good Input Either Way. Another Question I Have Is Which Tire Is Rougher On Equipment As Axles & Drive Line Stuff? I Know That's Kinda Hard Question To Be Answered But Maybe Could Hear Peoples Prior Experience. Thanks In Advance.

I have no experience but I've looked into some stickies and what I have found.
1: I'd assume the heavier tire rotating mass would be harder on parts.
2: Don't think either would last but a few thousand miles maybe on the road.
3: Most manufacturers of stickies state they should not get close or below freezing temperatures and are not to use them in sub freezing weather. Why most have the famous cracking. They have gotten cold.
That's just my .02

There's no mixed messaging at all, except maybe from those that don't have a clue or posers. A sticky has no business being on the road more than a mile or two. The heat generated turns the surface to gum and they'll wear ridiculously fast. There's a reason stickies say "not for highway use" right on the sidewall.

I currently run 39" reds and drive them at 10psi down to the store or bar and back occasionally. I've logged about 200 miles on them and they still measure at 20.5/32 (new is 22/32). They also have a fair amount of trail rides on them but I don't do a lot of "heating them up", mainly low speed crawling with aggressive "bumps", but typically not sitting there spinning.

Point being: if you're running a few miles around town you'll be fine. I wouldn't take them out on the highway though

There's no mixed messaging at all, except maybe from those that don't have a clue or posers. A sticky has no business being on the road more than a mile or two. The heat generated turns the surface to gum and they'll wear ridiculously fast. There's a reason stickies say "not for highway use" right on the sidewall.

I know for a fact that my buggy Marvin (who owns the youtube channel FlexRocks and Rollovers) drives his Jeepster with 42 reds all over the place on the road. Put over 5000 miles on it in 2 years. Tires look great.

I drove my 43s on my buggy on the road for 10 mile stretches at a time and I didn't saw any gumming up nor ridiculously fast wear. I feel like I damage them more when beating them up offroad vs the road use I did.

That said, to answer OPs question, I'd go with the 42 reds given his vehicle and use case. The 43s carcass sucks ass vs the reds on the road.

As long as you're not street driving aired down then the tire isn't going to generate noticable heat. Lots of cornering and running non selectable lockers/spools will kill them though. But I'd guess that most people that would be planning on street driving a rig on stickies would be running selectable lockers too...

As long as you're not street driving aired down then the tire isn't going to generate noticable heat. Lots of cornering and running non selectable lockers/spools will kill them though. But I'd guess that most people that would be planning on street driving a rig on stickies would be running selectable lockers too...

Very true. Marvin has selectable lockers and airs them up to 25 psi or so on the road.

I will say that spools and low air pressure will kill any tire, regardless of compound.

I daily drove several vehicles with welded rear diffs, was lucky to get 10K miles out of a set of tires. They were usually so chunked up and beat from 'wheelin that it didnt' really matter by that point. That was also on small tires that were like $4-500/set, not $700/each stickies :poop:

True. Driving to the 7/11 down the street for a 6 pack is way harder on the tires than doing a 10 minute smoky burnout on some ledge then holding the pedal to the floor while you bounce all over the place up the hill. What were we thinking.

True. Driving to the 7/11 down the street for a 6 pack is way harder on the tires than doing a 10 minute smoky burnout on some ledge then holding the pedal to the floor while you bounce all over the place up the hill. What were we thinking.
Curb your enthusiasm. I never said it has harder and I'm not talking about driving down the street for something, I'm referring to what the OP said with Sat & Sun "cruises" and 100 mile round trips on the highway for a "light wheeler" driving/wheeling style clearly catered to the street.
Yes we destroy our **** offroad. Now afterward go take a 100mile round trip on the highway with those cut/chunked/rounded/unbalanced 42" stickies.

Fawk that.

Last edited:
PS: Doesn't matter how many miles I'd say you'd always have someone insisting I'm wrong. If I had said 20 someone would fire back with (I do 25 so nah).

Point is a sticky isn't a highway tire.

Last edited:
15 miles to orielly's and back with my new 43' stickies wasn't a good idea definitely noticeable wear

UPDATE: Ended up going with 42" Red Labels on 20" KMC Grenade Wheels. BFG Claimed That tire weight was 88lbs Per a human weight scale it Tire Alone Weight was 109lbs. 20" KMC Grenade wheel weight alone showed 42lbs. Once mounted & a re weigh all together grand total of 150lbs on the Dot. I have put a grand total of 152 road miles on these & the tits are still on the tires don't really seem that soft of a tire to me yet but haven't taken the rig out on trails yet to see how they will do. I will say they did not balance very well as I have a slight shimmy at around 70-73mph but clears up. Plan on possibly doing balance beads or maybe a lead wheel weight. Anyways hope this possibly helps someone in near future if this question ever gets asked. Rig turned out looking really good with this set up.

Attachments

• D0536CED-C2D4-4470-808E-CD5FEED9EFE4.jpeg
    D0536CED-C2D4-4470-808E-CD5FEED9EFE4.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 302

Latest posts