• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

454 VORTEC UPGRADES

rpf500

Been reading the net the last few days on power upgrades for my truck after reading the "best year diesel" thread on here. I have a 2000 OBS Chevy quad cab with a 454 Vortec. I THINK I want a diesel until I look at the prices. So, I am contemplating upgrading this thing for more power, or selling and buying a Dmax.

That being said, the threads on the net are pretty old. Nothing I was finding really listed ACTUAL upgrades. Mostly people saying to try this and try that. Just curious if any of you all have worked on these engines and had some real world results.

Currently:
3" Cat Back System with 50 Series Flowmaster (no cats)
K&N Filter in the stock box (air temps on EFI Live had them lower this way. I ran it with a CAI and without, so I stayed with the stock box)
EFI Live tune (did this via cable and working with Black Bear Performance)
Upgraded injectors

The tune really woke this rig up. Stock it would not even do a burnout. :****: It pulls and drives fine really. I just have in my mind that there has got to be more power to be had from a Big Block.

Any thoughts on this? Oh, and I am not looking for diesel power. I know I won't get there. If it matters, I only tow with this truck.

Attachments

• 012a.jpg
    012a.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 365
Without going into the engine, they make a supercharger kit for it, I know whipple use to. a good set of headers help to.

muddinmetal said:
No where near diesel power my ass.... way stronger than a stock 12v, 6.5, & 7.3 powerstroke by far!!!!

Really? Whats the stock numbers on a Vortec 454? I think they were made before Chevy started using real tornados.

I borrowed a friends TBI 454 dually to pull my blazer one time and it impressed the **** outta me. I had a 7.3 F250 about 8 years ago and I really think the ol Chevy would run with it or out run it. It was bone stock 2x4 extended cab dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I need to go by the dealer and test drive a diesel or another gasser so I have a comparison. Only tow rigs I have used to pull my Jeep with was this truck and my DD Driver 5.3 Tahoe. Obviously different, but I still think the 454 has more to offer.

I filled out a form and sent to COMP Cams to see what they recommend and sent an e-mail to Blackbear to see what cams they had experience with since I will need to PCM tune redone.

You can pretty easily get 400+ horses out of that thing and it be streetable.

I personally like to have money left in my wallet when I get 100 miles from my house to wheel though......

Next thing you know you'll be postin your rig up for sale sayin " My wife says we need to feed 400 ponies now " no trades. Need cash. Lol

But really, I had the same truck, pewter. Back when fuel was 1.02 a gallon. One of the best trucks I've ever owned.

LightBnDr said:
You can pretty easily get 400+ horses out of that thing and it be streetable.

I personally like to have money left in my wallet when I get 100 miles from my house to wheel though......

Next thing you know you'll be postin your rig up for sale sayin " My wife says we need to feed 400 ponies now " no trades. Need cash. Lol

But really, I had the same truck, pewter. Back when fuel was 1.02 a gallon. One of the best trucks I've ever owned.

Fuel costs suck. I won't even start the argument about gas mileage versus diesel mileage. I have ran the numbers somewhat. I hear the diesels can get 15 towing??? I can get 9...MAX. Mostly 8.4. Selling this and buying a used diesel would eventually pay for it's self (assuming reliability is better or equal to this truck) But, I like my truck, you don't see them all the time, and it's paid for. I'm not shooting for major HP gains. I just want a tad bit more torque from this truck. I think it's there it's just a matter of finding the best way to unlock it. I'm thinking about throwing some headers at it, update the tune with them installed, and then see how it feels.

Re:

hjpcummins said:
Do a 12 swap and be done. It can be done fairly cheap , power for days and 15-20mpg

I repeat. A stock 12v ain't got **** on a BBC

I think people forget how weak diesels were until recently

Cummins: http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/cummins_timeline.html

Powerstroke: http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/timeline.html

Duramax: http://www.duramaxdieselspecs.com/compare_duramax.html

What is crazy to me it that the new light truck diesels have more power than 90% of the 18 wheelers ever built...

Re:

muddinmetal said:
I repeat. A stock 12v ain't got **** on a BBC

X2

No way I'd remove a good running efi big block to swap in a 12v.

I'm no Cummins :tc though

I've driven and towed with every generation of Cummins Dodges and I wouldn't tade my LBZ Duramax for any of them if I had to keep it.

Re:

Well if I read between the lines properly, I would say he wants power and mpgs? He will never see mpgs in the mid teens with his current setup. So I suggested a simple solution.

Here is info from COMP Cams. Any thoughts from you technical guys?

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for reaching out. Happy to help here.

The camshaft that I would recommend is our #01-411-8. Duration at .050 is 212/218 on a 110 LSA. It should do exactly what you are looking for. Make plenty of low end and mid range power to get that truck moving.

You will have to convert to an adjustable drive train with any after market camshaft. We have a kit that is designed for the 454. Gets you new studs, spacer, rocker nut and roller tip rockers for $285.59.

Camshaft runs $306.86. Did you want to start an order? I sell directly.

Latest posts