• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4L60 (bypassed the E) Help

Warewolf SD

Reaching out since my buggy don't run and I cant be out playing in it today. Du
I have a 4L60E that has a Transgo stick shift kit and a 46-MOD (vacuum modulated line pressure).
It bypasses all the electronic control and makes it basically a manual valve bodied trans.
My problem is the trans will not shift into third or fourth. Has 1st, 2nd, reverse and park but will not shift into 3rd or fourth. you can move the shifter into position but the trans maintains speed like its in second still. Im hoping for a trans guy or somebody who has had this problem before to guide me in the right direction. So far hours of internet searches and message board scrolling has accomplished very little.
Trans is freshly built to beat on. New torque converter and I have verified line pressure is around 80 at idle and varies with throttle and rpm as it should.
Also engine braking works in 1 and 2.
Please if you have any ideas.
Thanks

Lol I trolled yesterday and though by now you'd have some others chime in.

I can offer some

I can only go off of what you posted so ASSUMING it's freshly built it changes your thinking.

Let's pretend it's not because I don't know how long fresh means. 3-4 clutches burn up all the time in 700s and 4l60s. So I would ask how long has it had no 3-4?

Did you just have it built and it never had it? Or it worked for 6 months and now has trouble?

I think the 46mod is a good option for what we do. I wouldn't be real quick to blame it because it's just a throttle valve control. It doesn't directly effect some gears more than others.

If you have ONLY no 3rd and 4th this tells you a few things for sure.

Forward clutches are holding. 2-4 band is holding. The band is applied in 2nd and 4th only. If reveres holds, the sun shell isn't broken. If it were broken you would only have 1st and 3rd. If broken it will lose 2nd 4th and reverse.

So i would have a few questions before id determine exactly what's wrong. 3-4s burn up constantly in these trans. Even if someone says "it's ready to beat on"

If truly freshly built, I'd be making that guy stand behind it

Thanks for your help and the layout of what should be happening inside. Freshly rebuilt means I got it back installed it checked the line pressure and drove it down my street to find that it does not have 3rd or 4th. Second time dude has had the trans. First time it didn't have 3rd or fourth and smoked the low reverse clutches putting on the trailer. He took it back and "fixed it" but still no 3-4. I've been looking into it a bunch and am wondering if the forward sprag may be installed upside down. Saw a post somewhere else that mentioned no 3rd or fourth because of this. I am still expecting him to make it right but who knows. Either way its another holiday weekend without wheeling. 2 1/2 year build is waiting on this.

Mm well then it's on that guy. There are a handful of things that can be goofed and mistakes made. This is where nobody can really help you much unless you pull it and tear it down. Then redo it yourself

Probably should have done the trans myself. Sub'd it out so this kind of thing wouldn't happen. Oh well. Cant hurt to know what's going on inside the granny too. Thanks again.

They were literally my bread and butter back in the day. They are a real basic design and don't have many mysteries.

Your problem is gonna be that you weren't the one that did any work internally. So you're hunting blind really.

Bummer man. Good luck to you. If you end up tearing it down yourself PM me and get my number. I'll talk you through