• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4l60e to 4l80e swap

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Got a 2005 1500 SilverAdo we were heading back from West Virginia and after 3 years of hauling a 1 ton jeep the transmission said "**** you I'm done". Sitting on the side of the road waiting on a buddy to come get me and put my truck on his trailer and use another truck he's bringing to haul the jeep home. Anyways the question I wanna ask is if anybody has swapped to the bigger transmission and is it worth it. This truck has been a great tow rig for 3 years now and I've got the L33 in it turned up a little bit, always knew the transmission would go one of these days but didn't want it to happen all of a sudden this far from home and loaded.

I know this is a little different but I've got a Trailblazer ss (6.0) and swapped the 4l70 (basically the same thing as a 60) for the 4l80. I've done some other things to it, 402 stroker, heads, cam, etc. and the 80 was the best thing I've done. The 70 came apart and I wanted a real transmission and if your gonna have to spend alot of money making a 60 hold you why not just get the 80 and not look back is how I saw it. Some people don't like them because the gearing is a little different but I think your gonna see alot more positive going with one then negative especially for what your using it for. I think its easier to swap these on trucks like your than the tbss's. I had to get a different tcm, harness and a few other things but it was well worth it!

Re:

I feel like I'm rolling the dice with a 60 and as soon as it goes out on me hauling the jeep 100 miles from the house or more I'm going to kick myself in the ass because I'll be in the same spot. At least if I find an 80 and put it in and then down the road it goes out I'll at least have a much better platform to build off and not be in the same spot I am now.

Your exactly right! Just look around with what all will be involved with swapping to one on your truck and go from there. thumb.gif

the harness and Ecm are different you will have to change them. Or modify your harness and replace you Ecm.

Re:

Looks like someone makes a harness adapter you just plug in. The more I look at it it doesn't look like a hard swap. I built a Juggy on tons so I think I can handle just a transmission.

I got the harness, tcm, harness and a few other small things from a guy that sales this stuff to swap them in the tbss. I've saw them swapped in the trucks and you don't have to change the crossmember I'm pretty sure. May have to modify it I'm not sure. There's more stuff out to do the swaps now I'm sure. PCM of NC has a harness I know.
c7c9e45041c9cda3747d70274636eebd.jpg