• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3 overheat issue

Put in a 160 thermostat, burped all the air out and ran it through several heat cycles. Can't get it to bubble anymore. Rode this afternoon hard trying to get it warm.
Stayed right at 190-195 then all of a sudden shot up to 240 so I headed back to the shop.
Pulled in and the 250 was pegged
Grabbed the temp gun....
Either my gauge is bad or my manual sending unit is too close to my exhaust as my upper water neck was 195 and lower block behind the thermostat was 186.
The sending unit is roughly 10" directly behind the thermostat
Running 100% better and hasn't cut out or stalled one time since I got it to burp. Hopefully this has it figured out and need a new place to mount my sensor/cable that runs to the gauge

https://youtu.be/v0zL2CJX0Ns

I'm shooting it with a digital thermometer. Gauge says 250. Upper hose 195.. lower hose 185.
It definitely did have air in it. Hoses were about 30-40 degree apart then it burped and started running better.
Gauge will stay at 190 then all of sudden race to 250 but digital still shows 195.

All gauges are brand new with less than 5 hrs run time

My gauge has been off since I installed it. Rear passenger head location. It pegs 250°at idle within 10 min of start up on a cold engine. I didn't see how that was possible, especially since the tstat wasn't even opening so I started monitoring temp through the factory sending unit via Bluetooth. According to that it actually just sits around 192 - 194 pretty consistently. I pulled the new sending unit and there appeared to be only coolant behind it. Still never figured out what the issue was.