• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

$5K Budget Build XJ or ZJ?

$4k beater ring on tons, 42s, beadlocks, full cage family cage...:dblthumb:

a $5k build budget XJ on stock axles better be clearing doubles on the mx track and blasting bounty hills :stir:
lol, 42's on beadlocks cost more than my entire budget after purchasing the Jeep. The cost of the Jeep comes out of the 5K as well.

@BleepinJeep nothing to see here.

But while your here, what's your opinion on towing with a tundra? Since, ya know, you tow all over the country, with a tundra.
the Tundra doesn't complain at all, never overheats, never spits out a tranny, never breaks down. My only complaint is the fuel tank is too small and the gas mileage is horrible when towing, 8-9mpg.

That'd be me. I'd love to have a high dollar buggy. But that's not where my priorities lie. So for now, approx 4k beater rig. And it does perfectly fine for what I want to do.

I'll watch whatever series ya'll end up doing with this. Just because I enjoy stuff like that. But, I would like to see one that is a little more outside the box.

Maybe that's why I like Dirt Every Day so much? Those dudes look like a couple guys I could hang out with, they will wheel anything they get their hands on, and die laughing every time they do it.
I already tried that with the trail, overland, rock crawl mini bike series, nobody watched that one :dunno:

I'd like to see a "low buck" Gorilla Run Race. Start at bottom of Trail 15 at Windrock and see who can get to the top/playground area the fastest.

You could start side by side then after the entrance it splits 3 ways so it gives options then all joins back together for the hill part then kinda sorta widens back out to offer different lines. Even has 2 real close together exits.

Won't have much room for spectators at the bottom/start, but that WHOOOOLE top part is easily accessible from the paved road by 2wd vehicles and has TONS of room to park/watch/bullshit/video.

$4k beater ring on tons, 42s, beadlocks, full cage family cage...:dblthumb:

a $5k build budget XJ on stock axles better be clearing doubles on the mx track and blasting bounty hills :stir:
If I had a spare 5k to just blow I'd love to see what you could do with it. Just seeing what you do with toyotas it would have to be awesome!

For this particular build, I would go XJ for a couple reasons. High pinion front axle, better transmissions and transfer cases, bigger aftermarket following, easier to fit bigger tires on an XJ than a ZJ. Either way, 5k gets them into places they probably shouldn't be. The 3 inch lift 31's and lockers in my ZJ makes me want to try things that I know would completely trash it if it rolled.
Where do you wheel at? I work right down the road from you're shop.