• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

$5K Budget Build XJ or ZJ?

Would you guy's rather see the build up of the Jeeps in phases? Here is what we had in mind.
We could do some small budget mods to them before wheeling them the first time instead of wheeling them stock?

Vid1- Purchasing jeeps and $500 safety budget for seat, harness, cage
Vid-2 Wheel Jeeps Stock
Vid3- $5k budget build (less cost of vehicle)
Vid 4- wheeling build Jeeps

I'd wheel a zj but nothing wrong with a xj
I'd try to find a 93-96 zj. The early ones have ujoint axles up front that are the 5-760's ujoints, go to scrap yard get a 8.8 and a xj 30 front which is a direct swap. Get a Artec swap truss for 8.8 and get a sleeve kit for the 30. If ya afford it get a truss for it,
Go to iron rock Offroad and pretty much buy everything, they have great products and are experts in zj's. The auto in a zj is fine, just manually shift it, mine is still going strong after 7 years and whatever one ya chose get the weld on tabs for ur axles shafts, they make a stock axle almost as strong as chromos. https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/almost-alloy-kit.html

Last edited:
Would you guy's rather see the build up of the Jeeps in phases? Here is what we had in mind.
We could do some small budget mods to them before wheeling them the first time instead of wheeling them stock?

Vid1- Purchasing jeeps and $500 safety budget for seat, harness, cage
Vid-2 Wheel Jeeps Stock
Vid3- $5k budget build (less cost of vehicle)
Vid 4- wheeling build Jeeps
No input about any of that, but I will say if you cut the fenders and put some 31inch TSLs or 30 inch sticky SXs on it you will find little need/want to "build" it. Stockish XJs are the most fun that can be found in the wheeling world. Change my mind

@BustedKnucklefilms I think that's a pretty good plan.

Daaang

:JRich:

$5k build budget (less cost of vehicle & I'm assuming the original $500 safety budget)...

You can polish the hell out of a Dana 30 with that kind of dough. :poop:

Instead of building a crawler, you could put some real suspension under it, truss the axles, and jump everything.

Daaang

:JRich:

$5k build budget (less cost of vehicle & I'm assuming the original $500 safety budget)...

You can polish the hell out of a Dana 30 with that kind of dough. :poop:

Instead of building a crawler, you could put some real suspension under it, truss the axles, and jump everything.
I would rather see a video of you jumping stuff.

Haven't there been enough "Cheap Jeep" builds already on YouTube? BleepinJeep has done a cheap build, then did another cheap build with an existing ton'd rig.

It's cheaper and easier to buy'em instead of build'em. I know a guy right now selling a YJ with Waggy D44's fr/rr, locked, geared, on board air, 39's.....jeep motor, linked fr/rr, air shocks, suspension seats, good cage, etc. all other cookie cutter YJ stuff..... like $5000, $5500 bucks ready to hit the trail.

It's all been done before. Cheap Jeeps, quarter mil Jeeps, everything in between.

cheap Jeeps don't really seem like a good way to sell parts unless it's bolt on long arm kits.

Personally I'd like to see a build on something weird like a 3rd? gen Explorer (the first one with IRS), Buick Rainier, or Isuzu Axiom or something

Personally I'd like to see a build on something weird like a 3rd? gen Explorer (the first one with IRS), Buick Rainier, or Isuzu Axiom or something
You and zero other people....

I say that. But I love dirt every day and the nonsense that they build. The Rav4 was one of my favorites.

It's all been done before. Cheap Jeeps, quarter mil Jeeps, everything in between.

cheap Jeeps don't really seem like a good way to sell parts unless it's bolt on long arm kits.

Isuzu Vericross FTW
Newest Subaru Brat
Scion xB

I think what makes this different is it is a ZJ vs XJ build off. Which one is better for a $5k budget build.
Of course it is cheaper to buy than build but that takes out all of the fun and you have to deal with people and their junky fabwork.
I wanted to get a couple jeep libertys and beat the crap out of them buy I was out voted so this is what we got.
The build is on and I can't wait to find the project vehicle and get started.

And who said we wouldn't jump them? I plan on trussing the crap out of mine and going full send.

You and zero other people....

I say that. But I love dirt every day and the nonsense that they build. The Rav4 was one of my favorites.

You know my pipe dream build is a Saab 9-7x :butt:
2008_saab_9-7x_4dr-suv_aero_fq_oem_1_400.jpg

Hey I'm not advocating for building a full gut/tube job, I mean you could take a Kia Sephia and stick the exterior over a rock bouncer chassis and call it a "build".

I'm moreso thinking take something that is readily available and affordable, has a legitimate truck layout frame/engine/trans, keep all the creature comforts fully functional, and put a decent transfer case and axles under it.

I think what makes this different is it is a ZJ vs XJ build off. Which one is better for a $5k budget build.
Of course it is cheaper to buy than build but that takes out all of the fun and you have to deal with people and their junky fabwork.
I wanted to get a couple jeep libertys and beat the crap out of them buy I was out voted so this is what we got.
The build is on and I can't wait to find the project vehicle and get started.

And who said we wouldn't jump them? I plan on trussing the crap out of mine and going full send.
Well, then liven things up a bit and when Matt isn't looking, undo the two coil retainer bolts on whichever he ends up with.

Or a surprise twist, you trade rigs once you get there... dum dum DUMMMMMMM

You know my pipe dream build is a Saab 9-7x :butt:
2008_saab_9-7x_4dr-suv_aero_fq_oem_1_400.jpg

Hey I'm not advocating for building a full gut/tube job, I mean you could take a Kia Sephia and stick the exterior over a rock bouncer chassis and call it a "build".

I'm moreso thinking take something that is readily available and affordable, has a legitimate truck layout frame/engine/trans, keep all the creature comforts fully functional, and put a decent transfer case and axles under it.

We can't all roll around like Jimmy H. in that tube framed ZJ from back in the day...

personally, I wish I would have started with a V8 ZJ when I got into this in 2004 instead of an XJ... just for that tiny little bit of extra room. Every year I feel like I get bigger and less flexible

No input about any of that, but I will say if you cut the fenders and put some 31inch TSLs or 30 inch sticky SXs on it you will find little need/want to "build" it. Stockish XJs are the most fun that can be found in the wheeling world. Change my mind

I agree. My very first rig was a 2001 XJ with a D30/35. It came with a rear LSD and I put an Aussie up front with some cheapo 31" mud tires, trimmed the fenders, built some rock sliders and had a blast.

Have you priced a 3 link front setup instead of a long arm on the xj? I vote xj. I rather have a 4.0 over the 5.2 in the zj. Hp 30 front and 8.8 rear. You can find a 8.8 stupid cheap. I've heard stock tj Dana 30 shafts are stronger than stock cherokee 30 shafts. Not sure but I've heard couple of xj guys talk about it. Get the high output 4.0

A correctly geared 4.0 is plenty of power for 35's, my zj with 4.56's will set ya back in the seat, kinda wishing I hadn't give it to my brother now