• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.7 powerstroke. Good or bad????

My 6.7 has like 230,000 on it although the engine doesn't. It was a 2011 and ate a valve at 180,000. The new engine was deleted from day one. The stock turbo died at around 210,000 and was replaced with a 2015 turbo. It stays permanently on the tow tune and has been totally reliable. I don't hot rod it at all, Its job is to tow the hot rod diesel.

My only gripe is the transmission. Ill chalk that up to having 230k on it though. I can slip the converter at will with the throttle while towing. A rebuild will be happening very soon.

Tow with a 6.7 one time and you will never want to go back to a 7.3. I love the 7.3's (that's what's in my buggy) but the 6.7 is so much more livable for daily use.

GIZMO1 said:
My 2012 F-450 has 190k trouble free miles on it now and is still 100% stock. I bought a new 2017 F-350 last year and have 30k trouble free miles on it.

A Ford said:
My 6.7 has like 230,000 on it although the engine doesn't. It was a 2011 and ate a valve at 180,000. The new engine was deleted from day one. The stock turbo died at around 210,000 and was replaced with a 2015 turbo. It stays permanently on the tow tune and has been totally reliable. I don't hot rod it at all, Its job is to tow the hot rod diesel.

My only gripe is the transmission. Ill chalk that up to having 230k on it though. I can slip the converter at will with the throttle while towing. A rebuild will be happening very soon.

Tow with a 6.7 one time and you will never want to go back to a 7.3. I love the 7.3's (that's what's in my buggy) but the 6.7 is so much more livable for daily use.

Good to hear some longevity reports on the motor. As for the 2011 models, is that one to steer away from unless the stock turbo and radiator has already been replaced? Neighbor mentioned the 11's having those problems when they first came out.

Also how long do the factory injectors last with these motors?

I would stay away from the 2011's. They have different exhaust valves and glow plugs than the later years. No one that I know of has figured out for sure if its the glow plugs that break off or the exhaust valves breaking that eats a cylinder, both pieces will be in there and ruin your day. Ford knew there was a problem and didn't help one bit. They said its not under warranty and is my problem they used inferior products. If they weren't inferior then why did they change them later on in 2011? I'd love to beat $16,000 out off whatever engineer screwed that up.

Just out of curiosity, I test drove a 2012 F250 this weekend with the 6.7 Powerstroke in it. Then took my neighbors 2001 F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke in it on the same route.

I was shocked by how far along the diesel motor has come since the 7.3 in terms of nearly instant power/response and how quiet it was inside the cab of the 6.7 vs the 7.3. If I ever find my money tree, may need to upgrade tow rigs.

After borrowing a new diesel to haul two rigs out west and back I am hunting for me a 6.7. The 7.3 has been an awesome truck and even with 325k on it I would hop in it to go across country in back without hesitation. It just needs a lot more work to haul 18k. These new trucks are amazing. Been looking at a few 13s. Got out bid on an insurance auction 16 Platinum. Found a few nice ones with 150k on them. Anyone need a badass 7.3 :dunno:

I am going to keep watching the insurance auctions and see if I can't find a nice one that is a little banged up. Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum doesn't matter as long as it is White.

I've had my 2018 for barely over a year now and absolutely love it. I kinda like Cole had a fairly modded Lly duramax and I just thought it had power. The day after I purchased my truck I went and picked up my 28' race trailer. Pulling a trailer that size with the duramax was no challenge but I knew it was back there. Pulling it with my 6.7 even when trailer is fully loaded with race car,fuel,tools and all I often forget it is back there. Mine did have to go to dealership with 4200 miles on it only due to a minor issue where brake lights stayed on at all times and caused hill descend fault and hill start assist fault to pop up. Dealer had truck a lengthy amount of time and a good friend of mine is actually service manager of the dealership. It ended up being a faulty connector and has yet to give me any issues besides that. Trucks bone stock and has I believe 8300 miles on it now. I do plan to delete it around 20-25k or when warranty is up.

Re: Re: 6.7 powerstroke. Good or bad????

MoparMan said:
Yep, one of the biggest pains in the ass to work on that I've ever seen!
They should make the front ends on new diesel pickup trucks fold forward like they do on semi trucks. Would make them much easier to work on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
They should make the front ends on new diesel pickup trucks fold forward like they do on semi trucks. Would make them much easier to work on.

That is true.

onepieceatatime said:

Crash ratings would keep that from happening. I replaced the turbo on my F750 with a 6.7 Cummins yesterday and stood between the tire and the frame rail. It is very easy to work on.

Sawzall said:
Crash ratings would keep that from happening. I replaced the turbo on my F750 with a 6.7 Cummins yesterday and stood between the tire and the frame rail. It is very easy to work on.

Is that a common swap for the 6.7 Powerstroke to 6.7 Cummins turbo?

What are the Pros/Cons of that swap?

ridered3 said:
Is that a common swap for the 6.7 Powerstroke to 6.7 Cummins turbo?

What are the Pros/Cons of that swap?

No his F750 has a 6.7 Cummins in it. He's just saying that he replaced the turbo on the engine.

tallnate said:
No his F750 has a 6.7 Cummins in it. He's just saying that he replaced the turbo on the engine.

Reading comprehension/memory failed me there.