• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Waffle

I'm curious to see what y'all have and if you're happy. Brand, size, other details.

Been running a large R2C offroad filter with a sock on a 450hp 6L and though I've never had a spec of dust get past it, a recent dyno session proved they don't clean out as well as they claim. Seems as though R2c might be having other issues so I'm gona look elsewhere. Not sure I want to go back to an oiled filter tho.

Currently run a 4" 90° elbow to a 4" flanged cone thats 8.5" tall (media height). 7.25"D base and 5.5"D nose.

Looking at Volant Powercore (Donaldson)
AFE pro dry
AFE proguard 7
Anything else I should consider other than K&N or particle seperators?

Well, I was bored so I thought I'd see what these air filter size calculators suggest. Obviously there are variables that cannot be computed in them, but I figured wth.

According to the strikeengine calculator: My engine requires a minimum of 212 sq inches of filter area, and that's not counting extra needed as it gets dirty. My existing air filter is only 168 sq inches.

****, lol

1597421585475.jpeg

AEM 21-3059dk with the AEM sock that goes with It.

4 in : Flange ID
9.25 in : Height
6.5 in : Base
5.125 in : Top

No issues so far, super easy to clean since it doesn't need any special oil like K&N units.

I just switched from K&N to a pair of Spectre 8131 with Injen Hydroshield pre-filters. Engine seems to be happy. Dual 3" intake tubes.

This is what we have been running for a few years. No problems so far. Cleans up with water. We oil it with some OLD KN filter oi; we have. Don't know what we are going to do as far as oil it when we run out. LOL

I have had good luck with the oiled foam pre filters. They don't really restrict flow and seem to catch a lot keeping the main filter clean and are easy to wash. I usually use the largest K&N i can get away with and agree they don't wash out that well so I will just get a new one if they get very dirty. The mesh screen pre filters oiled are ok but prefer foam or with a mesh too. I would not run one without a pre filter.

View attachment 119734
AEM 21-3059dk with the AEM sock that goes with It.

4 in : Flange ID
9.25 in : Height
6.5 in : Base
5.125 in : Top

No issues so far, super easy to clean since it doesn't need any special oil like K&N units.

I quit putting oil on k&n filters years ago. Just run the dry charger sock.

The red oil will actually get sucked through the filter and end up on maf or iat sensors. No bueno

Turns out my R2c media is synthetic and washable, but I had the airgun so close to it that I'm going to replace it no matter what, just to be safe. They claim 99.97% filtration and I believe it based on 6 yrs of perfectly clean ducts and TB, and I'm trying to maintain close to this rating. Sourcing these filters is the problem though. Pacific Customs dropped them altogether and Kartek doesn't supply the one I need with a stud on the end. No one else sells the one I need.

.I wish I had the space for a Howe 10×20 inline canister, but because air enters from the end and not the side like an ump, there's no way to fit it (and a passenger) in my chassis.
.UMP does make a 5" inlet mega super canister that's rated to 450hp, but I'm skeptical spending that kind of $$ only to find out later the rating is inflated.
.Donaldson PSD seperator with a powercore g2 would be killer, but cross referencing sizes, flow rates, part #'s has been a nightmare.
.the AFE proguard7 I want doesn't have a matching prefilter sock available.

Good lord lol

And I've never had good results with a basic K&N or similar made brands
that sacrifice filtering for airflow and refuse to use them. Always ended up with fine silt inside. Most brands do have HD versions with more layers that I might consider, but I don't have any direct experience with any of them.

Last edited:
i run the large spectre from Autozone...i guess these say you can clean them, but for the price I just put them in the trash when they need swapped. I have had good luck with them on other vehicles and like being able to walk into autozone and get a replacement if needed.

Latest posts