• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7.3 Powerstroke Thoughts

Andrews2007

I currently have a 2003 Chevy 1500HD with the 6.0 vortec in it. I am thinking about trading it for a 7.3 powerstroke. The wife is wanting her own buggy and I need something that will pull a little better. What is everyone thoughts on the 7.3 and it's capability on pulling a 24ft gooseneck and 2 buggies?

You can't beat the 7.3 for reliability. Definitely not going to win races w it though. I won't own a diesel w another engine.

I have a 2002 F350 single wheel with a 7.3 and it does very good, It's not as strong as these new Diesels but they are not 70,000 dollers eather :dblthumb:

Can't beat a 7.3 as far as reliability, but the 4r100 is the weak link, I would try to find a dually with the 6 speed or even one with a recent auto rebuild, a tranny is a expensive upgrade if it needs it, you can get a nice truck for 10-12k and then upgrade injectors, turbo and a good programmer and you will love that truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Step 1: buy a 99-02 7.3 Lariat crew cab.
Step 2: wicked wheel 2.0, exhaust, and 6 position chip and BAF mod
Step 3: 05-07 rear diff cover is a cheap aluminum one that will keep diff from overheating
Step 4: upgraded injectors, 05-07 32 row trans cooler,
buy the International crank position sensor install it and never worry about that issue again

do all that and you will have one tough truck for cheap that pulls great. I have one that has over 300k on it and the stock auto trans and love it.

I have a 2013 6.7 and a 1996 7.3 with 290xxx miles that I still drive daily. As the others have said your not going to win any races but it will pull whatever you put behind it. Only issues I ever had were the transmission which is a common weak link and CPS again another area you know will need to be addressed at some point. I wouldn't hesitate to drive the 96 across country right now. 1999-2000 is the sweet year as they had forged rods.

The one I'm looking at trading for is a 2003 with a little under 200,000 miles on it. Supposedly the injectors have already been replaced. I guess we will see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the comments.

I've had a 1999.5 since 2007.... I have a stack of reciepts 2" thick

My experience has been opposite of the others.... this thing pulls like a beast. At 30k plus i rarely have to downshift.... with mild mods the speed and power are great but reliable isn't a word I would ever use about it.

It's nicknamed snowball because everything always seems to snowball into another major repair.

gottagofast said:
I've had a 1999.5 since 2007.... I have a stack of reciepts 2" thick

My experience has been opposite of the others.... this think pulls like a beast. At 30k plus i rarely have to downshift.... with mild mods the speed and power are great but reliable isn't a word I would ever use about it.

It's nicknamed snowball because everything always seems to snowball into another major repair.
Can't complain when ya work a truck that hard

Yes I can... 5 engines 3 transmissions and other stuff in less than 100,000 miles.... pulling the same rv and jeep I used to pull with a tbi chevy 5.7 truck with no breakdowns

Also 80% of those miles were not even towing

gottagofast said:
Yes I can... 5 engines 3 transmissions and other stuff in less than 100,000 miles.... pulling the same rv and jeep I used to pull with a tbi chevy 5.7 truck with no breakdowns

Also 80% of those miles were not even towing

Eek. :eek:

On the bright side tho I now have a real nice 88 GMC square body 3+3 dually w a 454 that I bought to haul my camper home the last time the ford died.... then I put my 30 goose behind it and loaded the jeep and the ford up for the ride home.

Not at all saying others don't have good luck w em but I'm about sick of "the best engine ford ever put in a truck"

Can't wait to swap the GMC onto the 4x4 frame and build it up around a cummins.

gottagofast said:
On the bright side tho I now have a real nice 88 GMC square body 3+3 dually w a 454 that I bought to haul my camper home the last time the ford died.... then I put my 30 goose behind it and loaded the jeep and the ford up for the ride home.
THIS!!!

If you are looking for a nice truck to haul with I would look for a 1998 GMC Crew cab dually with a 454 and auto transmission. They really ride well and pull even better if they are lowered. If you look around hard enough you can find them. :dblthumb:

Re: Re: 7.3 Powerstroke Thoughts

money_pit_yj said:
THIS!!!

If you are looking for a nice truck to haul with I would look for a 1998 GMC Crew cab dually with a 454 and auto transmission. They really ride well and pull even better if they are lowered. If you look around hard enough you can find them. :dblthumb:
Big blocks FTW! His truck does look sweet but if you don't want a lowered truck find a truck with an 8.1. It'll be cheaper than a 7.3 and pull just as hard if not better. 7.3 guys are always talking about stuff you should do to your truck to make it pull better and more reliable and anybody with an 8.1 will tell you that all ya gotta do is put gas and oil in it. It don't make cool turbo noises but I promise you'll it'll pull like a mofo! The money saved on the tow rig can go into the trail rig or into gas money for more trips.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I had a 96 brand new from the lot and it spent more time at the dealer than on the road. When it ran it ran great but it had a glow plug issue. Years later there was a recall so guess that got fixed. Dealer just left me not caring too much for fords, said it was my fault that the truck wouldn't start in 90 degree weather after I waited 30 minutes for the wait to start light. That being said my uncle has an 02 or 03, whichever was the last year, and it's a work horse. I feel my Cummins pulls better and has way better mileage but his interior is far nicer. His is a 4 door 4wd short bed F250 and he pulls a 40' inclosed trailer with a drag car, 2 jr. dragsters and a golf cart and it pulls like it's a single car open trailer.

10a802127665c797e3103837691b702f.jpg