• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7.3 to GM 6.0 or 8.1. Would you?

94xjsport94 said:
My 96 7.3 is a workhorse. It pulls my 1 ton XJ on 39's with ease. I have to up shift every now and then but it Cadillacs down the interstate with a roughly 7k load. I have been considering selling it and my car to get one nice truck, but I just don't know yet.

A 5.3 1500 Chevy pulls a XJ on tons with ease too :****:

SNC00172.jpg

This your truck Randy? I came across that a few years back. Thought it looked great. Is that in Florida or something?

I pulled with a 5.9 hemi 2009 dodge 1500 before that. That truck rides great but didn't have near the power or stopping ability my Ferd does.

nhl_bullitt said:
Sure does, if you don't mind 4500 rpms often. laughing1 Had a 5.3 for a few years. Loved it but it sure left me wanting some more power.

I pulled a XJ on tons with a 2wd 2005 crew cab with 3.73s from Guntersville to AOP and never shifted down to 2nd :****:
Was yours a 2007-2013 DoD truck? Those trucks feel weak as water

It was a 1999 4wd. The original owner custom ordered it with 4.10s, but I had 35s on it, so probably call that breaking even. It did alright, but it definitely used 2nd a few times a trip going to my local park.
103_3223.jpg

Re:

My 8.1 pulls my jeep with the sleeper on the trailer great but I miss my 5.3 when I fill the big block up. I also didn't have the sleeper on the trailer with the 1500 either.

nhl_bullitt said:
SNC00172.jpg

This your truck Randy? I came across that a few years back. Thought it looked great. Is that in Florida or something?

Yep that is my truck! That was in Myrtle Beach back in 2010. Few weeks later after that i lowered it to the way it looks now.

I'm thinking that i'm gonna try and find a 6.0 with a 5 speed. I've found a couple for a decent price. But if i find a deal on a 8.1 i won't pass that up.

JD thanks but more than i want to spend. I would like to find one around $10,000. That way i would have $7500 left to buy a camper. thumb.gif

I still don't know if i can get rid of this truck! :****: lol

muddinmetal said:
I pulled a XJ on tons with a 2wd 2005 crew cab with 3.73s from Guntersville to AOP and never shifted down to 2nd :****:
Was yours a 2007-2013 DoD truck? Those trucks feel weak as water

That's right down the street dawg. I haul my samurai on a 20' trailer from Memphis to AOP with my 2002 1500 5.3 and it's just a little bit short of pathetic most of the way. Not to mention that it won't break 10mpg loaded, might as well have an 8.1 for power and peace of mind.

I love the way my 12 gasser hauls. I cant say that it has the Balls my 6.0 F250 had but I have never had to replace the heads either!!!!! The 6.0 gas motor gets 11 loaded, when I bought it I was told it has the Allison? I have never been under it yet? Gonna have to do that...

Attachments

• TOWRIG.jpg
    TOWRIG.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 107
Re:

I could be wrong but I was thinking the 6L80 was the only trans behind the 6.0's in that model but you could get an Allison behind the 8.1? Idk, I'm not as savvy on those 07+ models.

Well i sold the truck this morning for 17,500. :****:

Anyone now where a 6.0 or 8.1 truck is for around 10,000?

Also i found a pretty good deal on a F250 with a V10 and manual trans. How good are those motors?

RandysMJ said:
Well i sold the truck this morning for 17,500. :****:

Anyone now where a 6.0 or 8.1 truck is for around 10,000?

Also i found a pretty good deal on a F250 with a V10 and manual trans. How good are those motors?

Owned 2 v10's myself, still currently rocking the blue one! 210k miles on it.

Re: Re:

nhl_bullitt said:
Owned 2 v10's myself, still currently rocking the blue one! 210k miles on it.

Man congratulations and not on the truck!
zukimaster said:
A thick blonde headed chick! Dude, it don't get any better! Way to go bro bro :dblthumb:
X2
onepieceatatime said:
I might even drive a Ford if she came with it.
She came because he drove a Ford, the smart ones like a man who can get the job done!