• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7.3 to GM 6.0 or 8.1. Would you?

RandysMJ

Ok. I currently have a 2001 F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 and 6spd and 148,000 miles. It has a air intake, DP tuner chip, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, level kit, 33's and 20" BMF's. I've owned it about 8 years. Now a friend of mine is REALLY wanting the truck. He has been bugging me about selling it to him for about a year. Well he actually made me an offer of $17,500.00. I'm thinking very seriously of selling it to him!

Here is the reason why. I have a camping spot on Kentucky Lake next to my parents. So i'm thinking sell the F250. With that money i should be able to buy a decent 28-32ft used camper, and a decent Chevy or GMC 2500 or 3500 with a 6.0 or 8.1. I'm looking at CCSB, ECSB 4x4's. Would love one with a manual trans but that's a LONG SHOT! What worries me is that i have never had a GAS tow rig. I tow my Comanche with 1 tons and 39.5" tires on an all steel 18' trailer maybe 4 times a years tops. A 20' Stratos bass boat and a 22' Lowe deckboat. The only time the camper would be pulled is if the lake floods or the camper needs work.

What i'm getting at is- Am i crazy for thinking of doing this?? lol
Also do you think a 6.0 would fill my needs or would i be happier with the 8.1?

This is the truck.

Dude! I buy cars and trucks for a living, you have a nice truck, but if someone is going to give you 17500 for it, jerk there arm off! I bought a nice 2000 crew cab 7.3 4x4, it was a manual with 180k miles, with new tires, leer camper shell etc. for 8000 yesterday!

Ah man! 7.3's around here are priced high. Even high mileage and beat up. If i could find another one around the price you got that. Then this post would need to be here. lol

It sounds like you really don't tow that much, I would sell, step up to a lot newer gas burner, a lot less maintenance, and have a newer truck. But that my opinion.

If your going to a gas burner skip the 6.0 get the 8.1 hands down . I have owned all 3 . The 6.0 only gets 2 mpg better but the 8.1 u get the Allison . I loved the big block but had to get another diesel for all the towing I do now.

zukimaster said:
Dude! I buy cars and trucks for a living, you have a nice truck, but if someone is going to give you 17500 for it, jerk there arm off! I bought a nice 2000 crew cab 7.3 4x4, it was a manual with 180k miles, with new tires, leer camper shell etc. for 8000 yesterday!

lets see it Chad

and RandysMJ that is a sharp truck, I looked for over 6 months for one like yours, CC 4wd 6speeds are not that easy to come by

I have a 8.1 and it does very well towing. we use to have a 31' 5th wheel camper that grossed around 10k that I pulled with it and it pulled it great,6-7 mpg should be expected when pulling comparible camper though. Mine is an 01 with mid 140k on it and has been very dependable as I have only replaced the crankshaft position sensor,oil and tires. I'm actually pissed that GM quit offering this engine in there big trucks as I would definitely buy it over again. Fyi no load it gets 10-12mpg with the 410 gears

Avalanche and suburbans got a 4l85e. They beefed up the 80 to hold up since they couldn't fit the allison. I got a 04 ccsb 8.1 this January with 47k miles on it. Yeah it gets pretty crappy mileage but it pulls great and is really comfortable. For whatever reason 8.1s are hard to find in a cc. I've only seen 2 in all the searching I did online and finding a manual is just as hard it seems.

Same here, my 01 6.0 HD truck has 216 on it with teh 4l80, it keeps the 30' goose on it all the time and has never given me a hiccup. It was a deck company's truck, so beat to hell it whole life, set next to a house fire, totaled at like 170, I bought it at auction for $1500 and literally changed the oil and got a detail. mirrors and tail lights melted a little, still rocking them, everything works, ac, heated seats, all of it. 216 and treated like a $1500 truck, starts every time. Trans is flawless. When there is a headwind with a load on it pisses me off, I want more power, every other time I'm perfectly pleased with it. I bought a duramax anyway, vanity or stupidity or something I guess. If I towed less I'd be rocking that 6 liter to the end

Re:

If you don't mind letting the engine scream, set the cruise and go!

Pulling my 18' with a Toyota on it, the 6.0 would be climbing hills at 70mph in 2nd gear... Never bothered me except that it would get 8 mpg towing. Got 16-17 empty though.

Dmax gets double the fuel mileage towing the same load to the same locations... And gets 10mpg with a 34' tag, 2 rigs and 4 people + gear...

My dad has a 2005 2500HD 6.0 with a 5 speed. 12,000 miles. He might sell. I know the manual trannys are rare. It will not be at any discounted price tho.

My 96 7.3 is a workhorse. It pulls my 1 ton XJ on 39's with ease. I have to up shift every now and then but it Cadillacs down the interstate with a roughly 7k load. I have been considering selling it and my car to get one nice truck, but I just don't know yet.