• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

79 HP 60 brake caliper mounting.

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Where do I find the stock bolts that hold the H-bars on a 79 HP 60. My calipers fell off 3 times this weekend and drove me nuts. I always thought I was just supposed to put a 5/16 bolt in and smash it in place but then I heard there is a special shoulder bolt that holds it but I don't know where to find them.

Re: 79 HP 60 brake caliper mounting.

I've always just put a bolt in...but found these
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-22572-caliper-hardware-kit.html

The reason your caliper is falling off might not be the bolt. What happens is the top leg of the caliper bracket can bend or stretch forward. Because that is the only thing holding the caliper back under braking (moving forward). So when that happens a gap opens up on the H slide and the bottom of the caliper pops out. You can lengthen the H slide to have more reach when that gap opens up. I drilled and tapped mine to 7/16 and used big fender washers just so I didn't have to use those little factory ones.

The part # for the bolts is H5011
But I agree, the caliper mounts stretch, I have machined thicker "H" pieces for both sides of mine, I have one of them that has stretched again and the caliper rattles around, seems to be worst when they have been ground down for 15" wheels.

I screwed with my 78-79 caliper brackets for years- best solution was making or modifying the key's until they work for you. I got tired of having the same problem repeatedly so I changed over to chevy calipers using the TMR brackets…

zjtrey said:
I screwed with my 78-79 caliper brackets for years- best solution was making or modifying the key's until they work for you. I got tired of having the same problem repeatedly so I changed over to chevy calipers using the TMR brackets€
Did this reuse the same rotor's? Will they clear 15" wheels without grinding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you'll have to change the rotors out for chevy's.. the fords have a different offset. they will clear 15's, can't say whether you'll have to grind or not

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk