• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

85 4runner front brake conversion???

krackem

Build-Bend-Weld-Break -Repeat
OK so I got the calipers( not sore its ifs or fj40) 2 ifs vented rotors and 2 fj40 vented rotors, fj40 hubs and spindles, which way is the best to do the big break conversion and any tips also got 2 fj 40 master cylinders and 1 more I think is stock mini truck hear are some pics if need more ask and I'll post em

Forgot pics of the calipers I'll get em shortly

Attachments

• Image06292013192557.jpg
    Image06292013192557.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Image06292013192626.jpg
    Image06292013192626.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Image06292013192634.jpg
    Image06292013192634.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 97
Zack, tear your knuckles down to the spindle and then put on the landcruiser rotors and hubs, and IFS calipers, reuse your lockouts or flanges and peel out :dblthumb:

not sure about the master cylinders, but i would try what you have first and see how it feels. the FJ62 one (the one with one reservoir) is probably the best of the 3 and definitely the newest. but still needs a rebuild.

Re: Re: 85 4runner front brake conversion???

Any particular reason you want to do the vented rotor swap?

If you are not using ifs hubs to gain width, it seems like a waste of time on a trail only vehicle...

Re: Re: 85 4runner front brake conversion???

TBItoy said:
Any particular reason you want to do the vented rotor swap?

If you are not using ifs hubs to gain width, it seems like a waste of time on a trail only vehicle...

Using Fj40 hubs not its and not for width but for the better brakes vented rotors are always better than solid one and Neal I figured it out after the post have some one I no that done a similar swap and the Fawked me all up but I got it now

Explain how having better brakes is a waste of time and money on any thing trail rig or not like saying more horsepower is a waste on a trail rig Penn keep ur fawkin ignorant opions to ur self

The solid rotor doesn't offer anymore stopping power than the vented rotors. If you aren't in a rally race or driving down a mountain road there won't be any noticeable difference.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 85 4runner front brake conversion???

krackem said:
Using Fj40 hubs not its and not for width but for the better brakes vented rotors are always better than solid one and Neal I figured it out after the post have some one I no that done a similar swap and the Fawked me all up but I got it now

Bet you won't be able to tell any difference in brakes. Waste of time and $

Agreed, on a trail only, slow speed rig, the vented rotors don't really do anything for you. If you were daily driving on the interstate at high speed with big tires then sure they would run cooler and be better.

The tacoma slip on rotor is the way to go, I've torn mine apart more than once since I did that upgrade and it is a huge time saver, and well worth the time and money if you go into the front axle frequently. No noticeable difference in braking power on the trail.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 85 4runner front brake conversion???

TBItoy said:
Bet you won't be able to tell any difference in brakes. Waste of time and $

You know there are times (like right after he's already made the upgrade) when people don't need or want to hear your genius knowledge

Well its stops tens time better already and ain't even had in on the trail just the back yard, guess I shouldn't do the rear disc's either since the drums are so great, stupid of all those companies to make em, any heat dissipated from your breaking system is better regardless of how slow or fast you are going it don't make a **** that's why they made vented rotors so :gtfo: off my thread if you ain't got help full input, I like it and I'll spend my time and money as I damn well please :flipoff1:

Now my next question is what year does the 1 inch bore master cylinder come off of or would the fj 60 1 I got be just as good

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 85 4runner front brake conversion???

Neal3000 said:
You know there are times (like right after he's already made the upgrade) when people don't need or want to hear your genius knowledge

Meh, I figured that when zak asked "Which is the best way to do the big brake conversion, any tips?"

That he actually wanted advice and tips...

Say, that the "best way" is with slip on Tacoma rotors, even if you don't use ifs hubs for more width.

grcthird did a write up on this a couple months ago (taco rotor with SA hubs).