• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

87 Toyota P/U SAS

allenzm153

Picked up a front axle this weekend with a matching rear both Toyota axles at 4:88. Bout time to tear into getting rid of the pesky IFS, but this the first time I've tackled this on my own. Anybody got any good pointers suggestions for me? I'm sticking with leafs for now, the axles came with leafs, looks to be about 4-5" of lift. I plan on doing a once over on my axle, so any pointers here would be greatful as well.

1. cut off IFS

2. put in solid axle

3. drive to store and get booze

4. enjoy how much better booze tastes when ya have a straight axle

Bout it. :D

Measure a lot, so it's mounted nice and square. It's pretty straight forward once you get over the idea that your cutting all the ifs out which is what takes most of the time.

Haha, thanks chop shop. I'm of the mind set EVERYTHING will taste better with a solid axle. Well, almost everything... Should I try and mount the axle as far forward as possible with the anticipation of cutting fenders and a possible new driveline?

The steering box will hit the core support so you have to cut that out if you plan to move that forward too.

~T.J.

The steering box will hit the core support so you have to cut that out if you plan to move that forward too.

~T.J.

awesome good to know ill watch for it. upon examining the axle i def need new calipers and rotors. any suggestions as far as new calipers? should i upgrade to anything as long as im in the act or just go with some reg toy calipers?? also rebuilding the knuckles, any suggestions on this as well? i contemplated the trunnion eliminator, but have heard pros and cons and am still undecided.

If you need any parts for your SAS, including axle rebuild let me know. Have everything you need sitting on the shelf!

Just use the calipers and rotors off your ifs that you're cutting off.

That won't work. The ifs rotors have a much taller hat so they won't clear the knuckle. You can run ifs rotors on ifs hubs if you buy a kit from sky-manufacturing but then you end up with the silly small OD ifs rotors.

Latest posts