• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

97 Jeep Cherokee (No Crank) issue??

ftoy516

NOT PART OF THE HERD!
North Georgia where people still believe in FREEDO
Wondering if anyone has experience with a "No Crank" condition on a 97 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 I can use a jumper wire from the start signal wire on the starter to the HOT terminal on the battery and crank the Jeep.

Some of the things i have Checked, done or replaced include;

Clean battery terminals
Clean chassis grounds for the; Battery, Block grounds, grounds for the PCM on the driver fender and ground strap on firewall
Check stater relay on both the engine fuse panel and the relays in the passenger kick panel (Checked with a known good Relay)
Replaced Starter Solenoid
Cleaned the Neutral Safety Switch, re-greased with die-electric grease and installed into the correct position for proper contact.
Checked for 12Volts at the Starter relay in engine compartment

So this is where i am at a loss, i have been daily driving this Jeep and it has been running fine. i had to put a water pump on it last week and as soon as i got the water pump installed and test drove it, i got back in the Jeep later that day and this is when the "No Crank" issue started. If anyone has any information or help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wesley

Re: 97 Jeep Cherokee (No Start) issue??

So by no start do you mean no crank? (With the key)

Big David said:
Have you eliminated the crank position sensor?

when i bought this Jeep from a friend he had put a new Crank sensor in it.

And by "No Crank" issue, what i mean by that is that it will not crank with the KEY.....but it will Crank if you use a Jumper wire from the starter solenoid to the POSITIVE on the batter....it will Crank and run fine.....i have been jumping it off for a week because i have needed it for work.

97 Jeep Cherokee (No Start) issue??

Does it have factory anti theft. And might be bad ignition switch. Are you getting 12v at crank to the trigger wire on starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so it's not a no start issue....

Pull neutral safety switch again and test it... look for 12v into and out of it....
Next check ign switch for 12v out on start

It's not going to be anything sensor or engine related

gottagofast said:

Pull neutral safety switch again and test it... look for 12v into and out of it....

The "No Start" or "No Crank" terminology does get confusing....i guess it is a "No Crank" issuse and not a "No Start" issue.

This may help explain it better and help someone else out.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/how-to-test-a-no-start-condition-1#1

90810d1327721985t-plz-help-ignition-lock-cylinder-tumbler-no-tension-no-start-ignition2.jpg

I'm redneck. Put a push button switch on that unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gottagofast said:

Try starting it in neutral?? My 98 would sporadically have a no start issue. Is throw it in "n" & it would start.