• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

A/T Tow Rig Tires

Bumping this for updates or changed opinions...anybody?

I'm in the market for a set of 285/70/18 AT's for my truck , 80% DD with the towing duties being around 7K.

I'm driving a '16 F350 CCLB SRW diesel here in Ohio mostly so no real crazy extreme conditions. Looking at keeping the stock wheels and only going up a little bit on size as the truck has shitty 3.31 gears .

My son works at a large diesel shop that gets great deals on all the major brands , BFG, Nitto, Toyo, Falkin, General, ProComp, Mastercraft and a couple others.

I'd also consider some of the hybrid AT/MT tires but I don't want anything noisy or choppy ridding.

I just put a new set of 37s on my dodge, the newer style BFG all terrain KO something. Got a smoking deal on them so I figured I'd give them a try. Really liking them so far. The 37s are only D load rated but that's all I've ever ran on my 2500 and haven't had any issues.

I just received a set of the new **** Cepek Trail Country EXPs in 295 70 18 and plan to get them mounted on my Titan XD soon. They're a new design that's set to compete with the Nitto ridge grapplers and Toyo r/ts. They look pretty aggressive, are made in the USA, and we're way cheaper than the other two options. Also carry a 45k mile warranty. They're load range E and have a 4080 load rating.

I'll report back when they're mounted up.

I didn't get them free or anything, just had good luck with the DC tires before and decided to try something new and untested - plus I'm a cheap bastard

I got about a year on some MasterCraft CXTs on my 2500HD and I love them so far. Been getting real good traction and they're much quieter and wearing a hell of a lot better than my old MXTs. The tire shop recommended them to me over the AXTs for wearability and noise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I run 35x12.50/17s Toyo RT's, and love them. Look good, not loud, 10ply, and have been wearing great. My last Cummins had a set and I got 56k on them. My crawler hauler and buggy weights about 12-13k and they do fine.

Re: Re: A/T Tow Rig Tires

Dirt700 said:
I run 35x12.50/17s Toyo RT's, and love them. Look good, not loud, 10ply, and have been wearing great. My last Cummins had a set and I got 56k on them. My crawler hauler and buggy weights about 12-13k and they do fine.
I really like those toyo r/t's. Very sharp tire. If I ever went back to at's on my truck it would be a hard decision between them or the ridge grapplers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Re: A/T Tow Rig Tires

TacomaJD said:
I really like those toyo r/t's. Very sharp tire. If I ever went back to at's on my truck it would be a hard decision between them or the ridge grapplers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Can't say for the nittos, but I'm sticking with my RT's unless I find something that is substantial better.

My son tells me the two biggest sellers are both Toyo...the AT II Extreme and the RT hybrid.

I'm surprised there's no love for the BFG KO2 .. just to dated for the people who're concerned about looks?

JeffH454 said:
My son tells me the two biggest sellers are both Toyo...the AT II Extreme and the RT hybrid.

I'm surprised there's no love for the BFG KO2 .. just to dated for the people who're concerned about looks?

I had KO2s on my last truck (1500HD) and they didn't seem to wear too well, but the truck had high mileage and the front end may have needed rebuilt.

On the other hand, we have them on my wife's 4Runner and they are wearing like iron. When shopping for tires this time around, I noticed their sizes are odd. For example, they offer a 35 12.50 r18 and 34 12.50 r18, but no 295 70 r18. The 35 is somehowchespe then the 34 too - both load range E.

Mine seem to be wearing really fast. I drive mountain roads a lot and when I haul I'm usually over loaded so that probably doesn't help.

NOVI FED COUPE said:
Ive been very happy with the Ridge Grapplers.

BustedKnucklefilms said:
I just want some more Transforce ATs......Ask Matt Terry about the set of E range ones I put on my old Silverado......I bet them tires are still on it with atleast 100k on them. thumb.gif

I love my Firestone Transforce HT's and AT's. I have a set of really old, checked, out of round HT's on my beater truck and they just wont give up. Very good for no mushy feeling pulling a trailer. Also have a set of HT's on my 10k pound 5r and they have held up great. My only complaint is that the AT's on the dually throw rocks pretty badly but it is worth it for the great traction.

Im interested in trying the ridge grapplers but it will be hard to leave the toyo at2 ive got 70k on the current set and got 94k out of my last set. both on 1/2 ton trucks. I also had a set of r/t with 4Xk on them and they were still about half tread.. Lots of highway driving

I have 35x11.5R20Ridge Grapplers on my '16 Duramax Crew and I am disappointed... I have about 32k on them and I won't make it thru the winter. Best looking AT/hybrid tire, but traction is sub par and wear is on par with an MT.

I had a '00 Superduty V10 Crew. I ran the original 35" BFG ATs and hated them in the rain or snow. They lasted about 45k. Before those I had a set of the old 35" BFG MTs and for 50k+ and I loved those tires. I sold it with a set of Nitto Trail Graps and I liked the look and drive ability...

The reviews of the ridge grapplers in here have pretty much changed my mind about wanting to try them

I ran the Nitto G2s for the last few years. Got decent tread life and they're quiet and smooth, but they SUCK as soon as you leave pavement.
Try to pull a heavy-ish trailer through a moist field at an offroad park and you're a stuck ****.
Went back to Nitto MTs. Less tread life but they work so much better offroad.

I just pulled the trigger on some Toyo AT2's. As much as I like the looks of a mud tire, we get plenty of snow and ice up here so I had to keep that in mind. Even the Toyo RT's have a little too big lugs.

Bumping this for updates or changed opinions after all these years.

I'm either getting old (100% possible) or the Toyo Open Country MT's (275x75x18's) on our 2012 Ford F250 diesel have worn enough to get loud (100% possible).

So I'm in the market for a set of 275/70/18 AT's or HT's in Load Range E or F for my truck . Truck is mostly driven on the weekends on road trips, with the towing duties being around 7K on the open trailer or 15k with the enclosed gooseneck trailer.

Preference in tire is quiet (although I swear our 8 month old uses the loud tires as a sound machine to sleep for a long time in the truck), good wear/longer life, and good wet surface traction. Don't want to spin out when leaving stop signs etc just because there is a rain on the roads or getting stuck in the grass parking areas.

So with all of that in mind, what do you recommend?

What tires do you like/experiences with certain tires?

What do you dislike/experiences with certain tires?

Where did you buy from?

I have good luck with bridgstone Revo 2 AT's on a 2003 3500 dodge. On my second set, they are load range E, they are quiet, last forever and wear nicely. I got them from TireRack for about $800 set.