• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

A/T Tow Rig Tires

Funny, I was just going to look for this thread. Toyo AT2's worked well for a while but now that I'm below half tread, they kinda suck. I don't know if it's the tread design or what but they don't grip anything anymore. Spin on wet roads and grass. I can only imagine how much fun they'll be this year in the snow. Between that and the decent lifespan they're having, I think the compound might just be a little too hard. I definitely need something else before we get into thick of winter.

Funny, I was just going to look for this thread. Toyo AT2's worked well for a while but now that I'm below half tread, they kinda suck. I don't know if it's the tread design or what but they don't grip anything anymore. Spin on wet roads and grass. I can only imagine how much fun they'll be this year in the snow. Between that and the decent lifespan they're having, I think the compound might just be a little too hard. I definitely need something else before we get into thick of winter.
Same here. I liked them at first but started to hate them after 15k as far as traction goes. Here in Ohio I did commercial snow plowing & DD with them for a few years. Always in 4wd no matter what and even then I was all over the place searching for traction in the snow. Takeoff in the rain sucked as the aged too, and they were dangerous at half tread.

Now I have Nokian HT one and my 2500hd couldn't be happier. Waaaay better in snow/rain than the Toyos. I even started plowing last year in 2wd again which was nice in the tight lots. Better traction, better mpg, quieter, smoother.

PS: Nokian isn't Chinese. It's a Finish company that's world famous for their winter tires. The HT One is an LT all-season made in the new Tennessee plant.

Bumping this for updates or changed opinions after all these years.

I'm either getting old (100% possible) or the Toyo Open Country MT's (275x75x18's) on our 2012 Ford F250 diesel have worn enough to get loud (100% possible).

So I'm in the market for a set of 275/70/18 AT's or HT's in Load Range E or F for my truck . Truck is mostly driven on the weekends on road trips, with the towing duties being around 7K on the open trailer or 15k with the enclosed gooseneck trailer.

Preference in tire is quiet (although I swear our 8 month old uses the loud tires as a sound machine to sleep for a long time in the truck), good wear/longer life, and good wet surface traction. Don't want to spin out when leaving stop signs etc just because there is a rain on the roads or getting stuck in the grass parking areas.

So with all of that in mind, what do you recommend?

What tires do you like/experiences with certain tires?

What do you dislike/experiences with certain tires?

Where did you buy from?
My 2012 ram I ran toyo rt, got 50k on them easily, absolutely loved them. when I got my f250 I put nitto ridge grappler 12ply, because toyo's we're on backorder. I only put 10k on them before I sold the truck, so can't say on mileage, but they were quite and seemed to wear good best I could tell

Same here. I liked them at first but started to hate them after 15k as far as traction goes. Here in Ohio I did commercial snow plowing & DD with them for a few years. Always in 4wd no matter what and even then I was all over the place searching for traction in the snow. Takeoff in the rain sucked as the aged too, and they were dangerous at half tread.

Now I have Nokian HT one and my 2500hd couldn't be happier. Waaaay better in snow/rain than the Toyos. I even started plowing last year in 2wd again which was nice in the tight lots. Better traction, better mpg, quieter, smoother.
I'll have to look into those. Hopefully they're not too pricey as I'm hoping maybe to trade that truck in come spring but depends on the market by then too.

My 2012 ram I ran toyo rt, got 50k on them easily, absolutely loved them. when I got my f250 I put nitto ridge grappler 12ply, because toyo's we're on backorder. I only put 10k on them before I sold the truck, so can't say on mileage, but they were quite and seemed to wear good best I could tell
That was my main reason for going with them. Someone earlier in the thread said about getting 90k I think? But that is probably running them about to slicks which isn't really plausible if you encounter any snow.

I've been super happy with my Cooper AT3 LT. I'm on my third set.
60/65k in between tire changes with my use.

PS: Nokian isn't Chinese. It's a Finish company that's world famous for their winter tires. The HT One is an LT all-season made in the new Tennessee plant.
Nokian makes some badass tires!

I have the hankook dyna pro atm on a 2010 dodge 3500 flatbed farm truck . I really like the tires and they seem like they are wearing good and ride good . No noise . Some places where we load cattle is sloppy and they work great sos far .

They're pricey but I was really satisfied with michelin at 2's . Quitest , smoothest AT Ive ever had. Im in muddy fields constantly and was pleased with the traction I got. I dont think they offer it in a load range f tho .

I've been super happy with my Cooper AT3 LT. I'm on my third set.
60/65k in between tire changes with my use.

Nokian makes some badass tires!
I've got about 45k on my Cooper AT3s and still have about half tread. Very quiet and good road manners. I don't see much snow at all in SE TN but they are fine in the rain even with half tread.

They're pricey but I was really satisfied with michelin at 2's . Quitest , smoothest AT Ive ever had. Im in muddy fields constantly and was pleased with the traction I got. I dont think they offer it in a load range f tho .
Had those on the wife's grand cherokee for the entire time we owned it. They still looked new, aside from some cracking, after 70k+ miles and were fantastic in the snow. We looked for them for her current vehicle but looks like they don't make them anymore.

Got Cooper AT3 on my current 1500 Chevy, I about 40k on them and they are about half tread and still have good wet traction. Can't complain. They don't looks as "cool" as the slightly more aggressive/blocky trade patterns from other manufacturers though.

Looks like they also make an At3 XLT now. Only difference I'm really seeing is a slightly more aggressive sidewall.

I've got around 43K on my Toyo ATII Xtreme's and they've been great , they have lost a bit of grip and the compound has hardened but overall I've got no regrets. I live in Cincinnati and we might get 12-14" of snow a year so it's really only of minimal concern but I never had any problems.

Come spring I'll be retiring these tires and keeping an eye for something new , I'd buy another set for sure but I'm here to see what people like better.