• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Abanonded vehicle.

The Luke

Ive been eyeballing a mid 90's Cherokee at the sonic near my work for the past couple months. Two of the tires have slowly leaked down and the tag expired last year. I finally got a hold of the manager and he's saying it's an ex employees and he can't get ahold of him. So he wants it gone. He told me to bring the trailer and haul it off.

Anybody have any experience with this? It appears to be nothing special. Just a stock Cherokee. The clerks office told me that sonic had to call the police, have it towed, sent to auction after x amount of time and I could buy it auction. Surely there's a better and cheaper way to do this.

I've already had one friend suggest throwing it on my trailer, dropping it in my front yard and calling the sheriffs to claim it showed up in my front yard in the middle of the night. That way I can file for an abandoned vehicle and I don't have to go thru the auction.

But I'm not sure that I want to add grand theft to my rap sheet. Thoughts? Opinions? Absurd theories on what happened to the owner?

How do you look in orange?

What you want to do IS auto theft... the manager has absolutely no rights to the vehicle.... it needs to be towed in accordance with the law....

He calls a wrecker company or the police.... not gives it to a good ole boy....

you already messed up by posting about it online.

not worth the risk/hassle for a $300 cherokee.

I doubt the manager has the authority to give it to you anyway.

I got an 80s toyota from the back lot of a old building after it sold at absolute auction. I contacted the new owner and he said "Yeah come get it, I was gonna have to pay a wrecker to haul it off anyway"
But in that case, the toyota was considered his property to give away...

gottagofast said:
How do you look in orange?

What you want to do IS auto theft... the manager has absolutely no rights to the vehicle.... it needs to be towed in accordance with the law....

He calls a wrecker company or the police.... not gives it to a good ole boy....

Let€™s clear this up. I do not want to steal a car nor will I ever steal anything. I am asking if there is a way to do this correctly and legally that makes it worth messing a busted, cheapo Cherokee.

Nick, Dad bought a property back when I was in high school that had an abandoned Galaxie 500 on it. Same concept. I just went to the clerks office and had a title in about a month.

Looks like if this vehicle is in TN, youre pretty much out of luck. Google "tennessee title 55 chapter 16" and read up. Looks like to be 100% legal it has to be sold at an auction that was advertised in the newspaper 15 days before the auction date. And this is only after it is legally towed with written permission of the police and a certified letter is mailed to the registered owner.

The Luke said:
I've already had one friend suggest throwing it on my trailer, dropping it in my front yard and calling the sheriffs to claim it showed up in my front yard in the middle of the night. That way I can file for an abandoned vehicle and I don't have to go thru the auction.

You just posted the solution.

I wasn's accusing you of being a theif... I was saying you can't take it without going through the police without becoming one... just looking out for ya

Bonded title only works if you can get legal possession.... only the legal owner or da gubment can give you that.....

I? bought an abandoned explorer once from a friend that owns a wrecker service. Said he picked it up on side of the road. Had to send out two forms of public notification (like the daily paper) and also have proof of trying to get ahold of the registered owner. After that is was considered abandoned and it was his

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask the sonic manager for his name number call him and give him 3 hundo for the title. And move on if he says no then oh well. But would you want someone to load your jeep up and take it to their house?

InittowiniT said:
Ask the sonic manager for his name number call him and give him 3 hundo for the title. And move on if he says no then oh well. But would you want someone to load your jeep up and take it to their house?

If it's anything like the Chattanooga area, a title pawn place probably has the title. That's the majority of the "no title woods beater" xj's here.

BLGXJ said:
If it's anything like the Chattanooga area, a title pawn place probably has the title. That's the majority of the "no title woods beater" xj's here.
I'm willing to bet you are correct.

Latest posts