• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Air bag leveling kit???

jccarter1

Well I am thinking about installing a air bag leveling kit on my 2002 f350 bc the rear springs are kinda weak and when I put my big trailer on it the rear drops almost 6 inches so any advice on what kit to use or is it even worth the hassle

I also ran a T fitting between the two bags, that way there is only one fitting to air up and both bags will have equal pressure

I'll add two things.

1. I use a kit I bought from earl Owen. For my application. One of the best upgrades I think you could do on a tow rig. These days about $300 with tax. Firestone airbags, complete hardware kit.

2. I wouldn't run a T to inflate both bags. When you turn or weight shifts like a death wobble kind of situation with a trailer the airbags will deflate and inflate transferring air from one side to the other. Big problem that we ran into years ago with guys running heavy loads of trees into our nursery from out of state. Make sense?

Re: Air bag leveling kit?

I need a kit for my f250 and my excursion, so I'm watching this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just went through this.... had air lift kit on my 07/ 3500.... issue w fitting in bag.

Went with a Firestone kit, due to timing.... much thicker bag and seems over built which is great.
When I talked to buddy at local shop, said only thing they use is firestone due to thicker bags and product being well proven.

I ran a set on a 1500 and 2400 Chevy. It had schrader valve bulk head fittings and push lock fittings, I replaced the license plate bolts with the schrader valves and used a little slime compressor to air them up if I was leaving the house empty and picking up something

Ok that is what I was hoping to hear was it was good investment so would it be worth doing onboard air or just put Schrader valves on them

Schrader valves in license plate holes.
Then I take my co2 tank and level it up.

X2 on no T valve... the first time I set mine up I had a T connecting both bags.... luckily I had a dump valve and oba.... had to dump the bags every time I took an offramp....

Now I have two seperate systems... much better...

Re. Worth it?.... I will NEVER own another truck without bags!

I don't notice any negative effects with the t, I may split them and see how it does. My last truck was split, but that was too long ago to remember

You can buy complete kits that have onboard air and gauges, so you can air them up sitting in your seat.

I have set now on my 3500. I have let the air completely out of the bag when not towing. Seems to be a little softer ride in the rear. Do you think this would cause any premature wear on the bags being deflated for long periods of time??

NOVI FED COUPE said:
I have set now on my 3500. I have let the air completely out of the bag when not towing. Seems to be a little softer ride in the rear. Do you think this would cause any premature wear on the bags being deflated for long periods of time??

The instructions on my AirLift airbags said to leave around 10 PSI in the bags rather than deflating all the way.

I pulled power off my 7 pin plug and put a water proof motorcycle style cigarette lighter plug in rear bumper. I did the same thing with Schroeder valve for license plate bolt. I have a small Viair 85? air compressor to air up bags. Amazon for $50 shipped. It has a small gauge on it. The cord is also just long enough to reach my trailer tires. It can top off tires to 80 psi but is a little slow if starting from flat.

I have a 14' Ram 2500 and have the Firestone bags. 50,000 miles of running no air when empty and between 40 and 60 psi depending on which trailer I'm hooked to. The truck is prob fine when carrying the weight but the headlights are really picky about how the truck sits, If the rake of the truck changes, I can't see the road worth a crap at night. And no doubt the truck rides much better loaded.

I put airbags on my dually. Very practical and valuable upgrade.

Attachments

• 2597566442_cde6d5c1d7_o.jpg
    2597566442_cde6d5c1d7_o.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 103
I am building a ramp truck. I was thinking about adding bags to the rear to help with the additional weight over the rear axle. I had some extra overload springs and was gonna add some extra springs in the leaf pack....but this seems like a way better option.

Latest posts