• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Air Conditioner...Rheem vs Trane vs ????

SkinnyPedalRacing

I will need to place my a.c. unit soon since it has a leak in the coils somewhere and not to mention the unit is 19 years old. I refilled once with a tank my father in law has and hope to buy a few months.

I have gotten several quote with different brands and not real sure what to go with. Our electric company will give us money to go to a 15 seer vs a 14 seer, so that descision has been made. I do not plan on living here forever or do I want something cheap that is problematic. Rather spend up front to have something very reliable.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Re:

7 yr old house we bought has a Carrier brand. Does very well. Don't know specs on it but buddy we bought house from said it was like $8k when he bought it. Heats amd cools our house easily and not too bad on the power bill.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We went with Trane. 1900sq/ft house barndomium. Ours does great. Electric bill here in tx is reasonable. We also keep it on 70f during summer.
Also went 18 seer vs 16.

Trane use to be the Cadillac of them, and probably still the better choice, but there are junk now! None of them will last like the older ones, to much bullshit on them.

In my opinion most units are very comparable. Most problems I run across are installer related on split units if it is a split try to be there and make sure the installer evacuates the system correctly using a micron gauge. And make sure the warranty card is sent in or registered or warranty is 5 yrs vs 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier.... Buy a warranty or buy a 20 year unit.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

AllenW said:
In my opinion most units are very comparable. Most problems I run across are installer related on split units if it is a split try to be there and make sure the installer evacuates the system correctly using a micron gauge. And make sure the warranty card is sent in or registered or warranty is 5 yrs vs 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This right here! Installation is key. Don't pinch pennies going with some jack leg. STAY AWAY FROM ANYONE TRYING TO SELL YOU A GOODMAN! I'm a Bryant dealer, so I guess I have a preference. They are the same equipment as Carrier with a different badge. Although I do have a Trane on my house that I installed in 2006 and it hasn't given me any issues......

Re: Re: Air Conditioner...Rheem vs Trane vs ????

jayphizzle said:
This right here! Installation is key. Don't pinch pennies going with some jack leg. STAY AWAY FROM ANYONE TRYING TO SELL YOU A GOODMAN! I'm a Bryant dealer, so I guess I have a preference. They are the same equipment as Carrier with a different badge. Although I do have a Trane on my house that I installed in 2006 and it hasn't given me any issues......
My old house that I am now renting out has a Goodman split unit that was installed when it was built around 12 yrs ago. Still going strong, although I'm expecting a big expense anytime now. Had a freon leak a few yrs ago in the condensing unit where two copper lines had been rubbing together and rubbed a hole in one of them. After a couple different people looking at it, finally got ahold of someone that knew what they were doing, found it, and fixed it. Fingers crossed it lasts another several yrs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Goodman lasted 6 years but realistically more like 4 as the last two years I just had a guy come by and top off the Freon twice a year. It of course had the old outdated stuff so of course it was more expensive and harder to get.

Last year I finally bit the bullet and got a new unit. Local guy recommended Ruud / Rude / Rud? Something like that.....I told him I wanted this to be the last unit I buy. No clue on the specs but I told him I wanted it 68* in my house all Summer and I never want to worry about walking past the thermostat and seeing the inside temp HIGHER than what I set it at.

He got me the 10 year warranty. Since installed, my utility bill was down on average 44$ a month.

Re: Re: Air Conditioner...Rheem vs Trane vs ????

tonybolton said:
My Goodman lasted 6 years but realistically more like 4 as the last two years I just had a guy come by and top off the Freon twice a year. It of course had the old outdated stuff so of course it was more expensive and harder to get.

Last year I finally bit the bullet and got a new unit. Local guy recommended Ruud / Rude / Rud? Something like that.....I told him I wanted this to be the last unit I buy. No clue on the specs but I told him I wanted it 68* in my house all Summer and I never want to worry about walking past the thermostat and seeing the inside temp HIGHER than what I set it at.

He got me the 10 year warranty. Since installed, my utility bill was down on average 44$ a month.
Rheem is the way to go all units come with 10 warranty ...5 is given extra 5 if you fill out the proper paperwork and register the unit per model and serial number....don't have all the extra non required junk(bells and whistles) as your tranes and carrier models do which equals less problems...just my 2 cents

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

We got a new trane gas pack two years ago to replace our 15 year old Heil unit. Electric bill dropped about 35% in the summer months. We also got a cool wifi t'stat that we can set or check house temp on our cell phone from anywhere.

The only problem I've had with it is a dirt dobber stopping up the little tube that tells the unit the power exhaust fan is running. The installer told me that was 90% of their call backs and he showed me how to clean it out with a small nail.

I was also trying to decide between Rheem and Trane. I picked Trane mainly because there was a recommended dealer close to me out in the country.

Run away from Goodman they are JUNK!!! I did residential for a few years and we always had problems with Goodman units. Lennox has to many different parts between all the models. I now do commercial work and we have good luck with Carrier and Trane. Have buddy who installs Rheem and has had awesome luck with them for the last 6-7 years. The high the seer you go means more parts and a higher price tag when they break. I like to keep my stuff stupid simple lol

I work for a supplier and we sell Rheem. Rheem has invested a TON of money and updated their product line in 2015. I would 100% go with the Rheem. I deal with them everyday and we just don't have warranty issues. That's not to say some jack leg cant screw up an install, but if installed right its a great product and it will probably be a little cheaper than the Trane. Tranes quality is not the same as it used to be. Also I would either do a 14 SEER or ask for a price on a 2 stage 16 seer so you have variable speed and dehumidification. The 15 SEER for the price difference isn't worth it.

Bumping this back up. A/C in my old house (12 yr old goodman) is acting up again. House is somewhere around 950 sq ft, 12 yr old house, I believe it has a 1.5 ton unit in it now, should I go up to 2 ton if I replace it? Or would a good Rheem 1.5 ton unit be fine? It's a rental unit, so I just want something that works that I won't have to fawk with again for a very long time.

I'm assuming it has regular insulation? If so, I'd definitely go with a 2 ton. Rheem does make a "contractor grade" unit that carries a 10 yr warranty if registered.

My ex-brother in law installs them and his advise was always pick the one with the best warranty. He talked like most of the guts are the same or very similar between brands.

TacomaJD said:
Bumping this back up. A/C in my old house (12 yr old goodman) is acting up again. House is somewhere around 950 sq ft, 12 yr old house, I believe it has a 1.5 ton unit in it now, should I go up to 2 ton if I replace it? Or would a good Rheem 1.5 ton unit be fine? It's a rental unit, so I just want something that works that I won't have to fawk with again for a very long time.

I think that small of a house a 1 1/2 ton is fine. Either way you go with a Rheem the indoor part of the system will be a 2 ton...just the outdoor section will be 1 1/2. Is it gas or heat pump?

Latest posts