• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Air shocks vs coilovers

Jvfolds

Bootlegger, Utica ky
I'm running coil springs and shocks on my buggy as of now what are pros an cons air shocks vs coilovers any advice would be helpful. My buggy is not a hill killer. I'm running a 1.6 liter geo tracker with 4.24.1 geas in t-case toyota axles 529 gears locked with 42's I typically like technical rock piles and some big obstacles on the trail. Prefer something somewhat simple to setup and not alot of maintenance and tuning. Thanks for any advice.

Any particular reason. I've never ran either always been coil springs and shocks. But getting tired of replacing springs

For that rig, i wouldn't hesitate to do 2.0 air shocks.

I would put the most oil I could get in the shock. (Max oil -10cc) as to not hydro lock it.

Set the n2 pressure k get ride height and roll.

Be prepared to pull them apart and pull some shims off the piston to free up the valving some

It's amazing what you can get out of a set of air shocks if you aren't afraid to tune them

mac5005 said:
For that rig, i wouldn't hesitate to do 2.0 air shocks.

I would put the most oil I could get in the shock. (Max oil -10cc) as to not hydro lock it.

Set the n2 pressure k get ride height and roll.

Be prepared to pull them apart and pull some shims off the piston to free up the valving some

It's amazing what you can get out of a set of air shocks if you aren't afraid to tune them

Agree , and sway bar the rig. They arent bad on light rigs and the type of wheeling you described your into sou ds like a good match

Thanks for all the input much appreciated looks like I'm gonna invest in some air shocks. Definitely not scared of a little work and test and tuning.

Re:

2.0's should be plenty for ypur rig, 2.5's may mean less tuning to get them to work "good enough" though. Refer to video below on how capable air shocks can be if set up right. Also, read all you can about how air shocks work. On a super light buggy, I would have them mounted to where when aired up to the ride height that you are looking for, there is only about 4" of shaft showing. No more than 6". That goes for whatever length shocks you end up running. Shaft showing should still be the same.

Edit, forgot to link vid.

https://youtu.be/uqcU3jvcBkg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity if I can see the debait between coilovers and airs and if your leaning airs why not ORI? much easier to tune without the unloading or need for bumps. I have them on a 2k rig and they were just as easy to tune as with my 3500lb rig and my 4800lb rig.

I haverun all three and love my oris hands down.

Re: Re: Air shocks vs coilovers

SBJeepn said:
Just out of curiosity if I can see the debait between coilovers and airs and if your leaning airs why not ORI? much easier to tune without the unloading or need for bumps. I have them on a 2k rig and they were just as easy to tune as with my 3500lb rig and my 4800lb rig.

Cost, I'd imagine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SBJeepn said:

You don't need bumps with any of the shocks. To say ori's are easier to tune is a false statement. Aren't ori's on a 10 month back order right now anyway?

POR said:
You don't need bumps with any of the shocks. To say ori's are easier to tune is a false statement. Aren't ori's on a 10 month back order right now anyway?

I have them and if you are crawling they are great and easy to tune. As far as back order, I think you are correct.

dwa2469 said:
I have them and if you are crawling they are great and easy to tune. As far as back order, I think you are correct.

I have a set of 18" I'm considering selling.

Jvfolds said:
I'm running coil springs and shocks on my buggy as of now what are pros an cons air shocks vs coilovers any advice would be helpful. My buggy is not a hill killer. I'm running a 1.6 liter geo tracker with 4.24.1 geas in t-case toyota axles 529 gears locked with 42's I typically like technical rock piles and some big obstacles on the trail. Prefer something somewhat simple to setup and not alot of maintenance and tuning. Thanks for any advice.

Cons:

They cost more than what you got now

Pros:

They are small and easy to package on a vehicle
They'll hold your rig up

why are you having to replace springs? stretching them and they're breaking?
what springs are you running? short stiff ones?

dwa2469 said:

Can you explain how they're easier to tune? Everyone i know that are running ori's like them, but they also like air shocks and coilovers as well.
I'd still run a sway bar with ori's.

Latest posts