• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

All he ramp builders out there.

skipnrocks

So I'm building a hydraulic dove tail for my buggy hauler. I know my ramps are over kill for buggy's but just curious your thoughts for if it will work for heavy equipment I never haul but once in a blue moon.

So ramps will be made of a pair of 2x6x120 wall tubing. And will be 8ft long with 1.5 x 3/16 angle for the tread up tying it all together. I look at my aluminum ramps I have used for my buggy made of some stamped aluminum an inch and a half tall and thin material that work without issue and think I should be fine?

SBJeepn said:
So I'm building a hydraulic dove tail for my buggy hauler. I know my ramps are over kill for buggy's but just curious your thoughts for if it will work for heavy equipment I never haul but once in a blue moon.

So ramps will be made of a pair of 2x6x120 wall tubing. And will be 8ft long with 1.5 x 3/16 angle for the tread up tying it all together. I look at my aluminum ramps I have used for my buggy made of some stamped aluminum an inch and a half tall and thin material that work without issue and think I should be fine?
I'd use I beam material, just for the reason that no water can get trapped inside it and rust it from the inside out.

How heavy? Rubber tires or steel tracks?....

My ramps are steel 1 x 3 x 1/4 steel channel and 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 wall square tube cross bars at 45* IE points up not flats.... 7'6" long and 18" wide.... they have no problem with a 15,000 lb truck.... haven't put anything heavier on em yet.

Also I deviated adding a truss to keep the weight down but add strength. Something simple by string a T 6-10 in tall in the center then running flat bar from it to both ends. How much strength would that add?

gottagofast said:

My ramps are steel 1 x 3 x 1/4 steel channel and 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 wall square tube cross bars at 45* IE points up not flats.... 7'6" long and 18" wide.... they have no problem with a 15,000 lb truck.... haven't put anything heavier on em yet.

I have already bought the tube. I'll seal them up though. Probably something like a backhoe skid loader The trailer has a 21k load rating. Which leads me to a 10k per axle build.

gottagofast said:

I can't imagine a 1x3x1/4 channel being stronger than a 2x6x1/8 so I would think it would be fine. How many of the 1.5 square xmembers do you have? I was going to do 4. One on each end and two In the middle

SBJeepn said:
I can't imagine a 1x3x1/4 channel being stronger than a 2x6x1/8 so I would think it would be fine. How many of the 1.5 square xmembers do you have? I was going to do 4. One on each end and two In the middle

I don't understand how you could only have 4??? That would be 30" between them for the tire to fall into?
I have 9 per ramp

Not the end of the world but one thing to consider w your 8" tube is that is a pretty big step to climb onto at the bottom and also requires an angle cut at the trailer end

A 20k lb backhoe would put close to 20k on the rear axle while loading on steep ramps

gottagofast said:
I don't understand how you could only have 4??? That would be 30" between them for the tire to fall into?
I have 9 per ramp

Not the end of the world but one thing to consider w your 8" tube is that is a pretty big step to climb onto at the bottom and also requires an angle cut at the trailer end

Sorry probably didnt describe that well enough. I will have 18 angle iron cross members that will run the full width of the trailer. I will have four main bars (2x6x8ft) two for each ramp. But I want to tie the four runners together with some tubing for structural support since the ramps will actually form the last 8 ft of the bed. I will have one that goes all the way across that the hydraulic rams attach too for lifting it up and down, and then an additional three for support.

I will definitly be cutting a taper into mine at the bottom to make it easy for a car to drive onto, and into the top to allow it to pivot without hitting the trailer.

Ok so you're building a hydraulic dovetail instead of ramps.... I think I'd build it with I-beam..... likely the same material as the rest of the trailer

Maybe a trip to a big trailer dealer and crawl around under a few to see how they build em

I design the ramps for our equipment trailers for a storage tank construction company so I have a little experience with these types of things. I do like channel for trailers over rect tube. as long as you are not trying to push over 15Klbs on a SINGLE axle on this trailer you should not have an issue with the 6x2x120 wall. you may find that stuff dents a little easier than 3/16wall, but as long as it is rubber tire stuff, that should not be too much of an issue. i would be more concerned with how well that 1.5 x 1.5 x 3/16 angle will hold up?

maybe I missed it, but what is the capacity of the trailer we are talking bout? 0K 15K 20K seams to me building the ramps for anything way over the capacity of the trailer is just a waste. I would go 2x2x3/16" min.

SBJeepn said:
I have already bought the tube. I'll seal them up though. Probably something like a backhoe skid loader The trailer has a 21k load rating. Which leads me to a 10k per axle build.

Latest posts