• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another dumb question

baldduck74

Those who might be running Wilwood pedal and dual master's with chevy 3/4 ton calipers.
About how much pedal clearance at firewall/floor pan, would you say you have with all 4 corners locked up.
Trying to plan my pedal mount, are you using all of the advertised ratio of the pedal, my mind tells me no. But that things been playing tricks for 48 years.

Leave a lot of room.
You'll probably end up extending the pedal to get a better ratio in order for it to stop properly.

Can have it all.

If you want good manual brakes, you need room.
If you want little motion, you need a booster.

If you have the room for boosted brakes, that's the ticket in my opinion.

Went from dual master cylinder CNC manual brakes on the juggy to hydro boost and can't imagine going back to manual brakes again.

Manuals worked ok but until I drove one with boosted brakes I had no idea how not-ok the manual brakes actually were.

I'll have to figure something else out, my last rig had hydroboost and loved it, only boosted that will work for me will have to remote mounted. **** to bad I already bought a pedal and masters.

I run boosted brakes on my rigs. However most race cars do not, they run manual that haul them down from insane speeds in a hurry. Boosted overcomes middle of the road design and makes it function like a well designed system. A manual system has to be designed from top to bottom with all of the components matched properly. It takes a fair amount of math to do it right.

Like, I said above my mind plays tricks on me alot. I could of swore I read somewhere it would work good. Maybe I read the opposite. I originally wanted to run the hydroboost, but like said it will have to be a remote style.
Busted knuckle has a kit, too much $ for me. I can make the bracket and I have most everything except a hose long enough from slave to the booster
Then it would be a matter of finding rite brake master cyl..
If I could have got them off my lost phone I would post them on how I turned down the spool valve, and mildly ported the hydroboost.

I made all of the my hoses with field repairable fittings. I just adapted all of the fittings at the hydroboost unit and pump to -6. Then you can make hoses as you need. I wouldnt think the hydroboost unit would care where its mounted as long as the brake pedal moves things in the correct direction. What calipers are you running?

GM 3/4, all 4 corners, I've got a idea on how I'm going to do it. I have to pull the clutch slave and master off the dead truck out back.

The 86 chevy K30 should work well for those calipers. I believe its 1.125 diameter master if i remember correctly. Thread pattern is SAE and same as a jeep.

I have the Suburban still, that my 6.0 came out of, I'm going to pull the hydroboost off of this weekend.

16655267165498767153540694733624.jpg

And pulled another mid 80s hydroboost apart, to try and refresh my memory on what all I did to my last one.
I know I turned my spool valve down in drill press, and used the smoothest running hand grinder I have, with a .045 cut of wheel installed.
And the internal porting was done with a pencil die grinder, with a 1/4 ball burr.

The 86 chevy K30 should work well for those calipers. I believe its 1.125 diameter master if i remember correctly. Thread pattern is SAE and same as a jeep.
Thanks, there is things that I really get confused with and master cylinders is on of them

Do they need ported? They are pretty affordable in stock format.
When I did mine, I was still tinkering with my steering full hydro with double end ram, stock P pumps with west Texas mods on a 6.2 diesel, yep it was a turd.
I could see a difference in Temps ( heat gun) after the porting. Truck didn't live long after that though. So testing didn't go much passed a few weekends.

When I did mine, I was still tinkering with my steering full hydro with double end ram, stock P pumps with west Texas mods on a 6.2 diesel, yep it was a turd.
I could see a difference in Temps ( heat gun) after the porting. Truck didn't live long after that though. So testing didn't go much passed a few weekends.
But that testing was with a 6.2 diesel governed at I think 3800-4000 rpm,