• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Any AC gurus out there? R134a stop leak....bad...REAL bad?

Bones

That Guy
I have an 11 year old pile and have to add a few bottles every year. I had a reputable mechanic add some dye last year after replacing some switch that went out to see where it was leaking, but now they are out of business and I was wanting to patch this pin hole where ever it is and have a solid unit until this pile dies.

So is that stopleak **** no bueno like the radiator **** is? Snake oil?

Stop leak is bs, this is coming from somebody with ASEs, factory training, and EPA hvac 609 cert. That said, I have used it and it didn't stop a very small leak I had at a service port on my 1 ton Chevy. I've heard horror stories about it fawking up shop equipment as well. If it was at the end of summer and I was working on a pos car just so it would have AC for a month or so I might use it because it does leak out slower, other wise it sucks. thumb.gif

grcthird said:
Stop leak is bs, this is coming from somebody with ASEs, factory training, and EPA hvac 609 cert. That said, I have used it and it didn't stop a very small leak I had at a service port on my 1 ton Chevy. I've heard horror stories about it fawking up shop equipment as well. If it was at the end of summer and I was working on a pos car just so it would have AC for a month or so I might use it because it does leak out slower, other wise it sucks. thumb.gif
Thanks for the confirmation. I will ask around for reputable AC shops (I'm in Iowa) to track this leak down and get er fixed.

I know you're a disco kinda guy, so break out that blacklight, get some yellow uv glasses from the parts store and track that puppy down. :flipoff1: :flipoff1: PsDad

doctordick said:
I know you're a disco kinda guy, so break out that blacklight, get some yellow uv glasses from the parts store and track that puppy down. :flipoff1: :flipoff1: PsDad
laughing1 I will do that now that it's got some juice in it to leak out again.

Now I have Trivolta in my head....damn you!