• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anybody ever take a vacation to Moab.

93puggy

Looking into going out to Moab in May or June, so figured I would see if anybody on here had ever been. Haven't finished my new buggy yet, so will probably fly out there and hopefully rent a jeep. Any recommendations on who to rent from jeep wise and also where to stay? Also anybody to stay away from/bad experiance? Thanks in advance.

We have been out 3 times and always stay at koa and rent a jeep from outlaw jeeps rael good guys to deal with

I took a trip out when I was still a poor college kid. Drove a frontier on 35s with the stock IFS and wheeled all week. You can wheel for weeks and not hit the same thing twice, but the buggy level stuff is minimal. They also aren't too buggy friendly like other wheeling strong holds like Harlan. It's a tourist town for cyclists and sight seers more so than wheelers.

Stock or modified stock vehicles are the way to go.

My wife and I also went through on our honeymoon and toured the two national parks and I'd recommend that too.

As for where to stay, I tent camped all week, and then stayed in some best western or other type hotel on the honeymoon road trip. If you have the money, there are plenty of rental condos there.

Hope that helps

I've been a couple times for EJS. Awesome sites out there. Not just the trails but its beautiful. I was amazed how huge everything is.

We stayed at the Rustic Inn and was very pleased with it. Its off the main drag but close enough you can walk about anywhere in town you want. It's 1 block from main road thru town. Nice and quiet with ample parking. Took a walking path by a creek every morning and came out by Moab Diner to eat every morning. About a 5 minute walk.

You can rent Jeeps in town for wheeling but I heard the best option is to rent a Jeep from a car rental company and take it there. Such as from the airport at Grand Junction. About 1/2 price or less and if you aren't doing anything crazy it should suit you fine. The rentals in Moab are crazy expensive plus they have only select trails you can run. It's very limited on what you are allowed. Be sure to check into that before you go if wheeling is your plan.

Good luck! It's a awesome place!

I go every year. There are a lot of places to stay. Honestly, if you are going with a group, look into house rentals. There are some nice homes that get rented to the public, for just a weekend/week long stay. You can have a pool and all for very reasonable. I have been staying at the Moab Rim Campground recently, just on the SE edge of town. They have nice affordable cabins for 2 up to 6 or 7 people. Its good in the off season, but I don't know about the busy season –what I mean is that they don't seem to have an urgency for putting money back into the place. Last time I was there one of the bathroom stalls was out of order. No big deal, UNLESS the place is full and you gotta ****! :****: It was closed off the entire stay and nobody was working on it.

For a little more domestic, I have stayed at the Virginian Motel and had great experience every time. It is walking distance to everything, Moab dinner is right around the corner, as is Woody's Tavern. The streets are WIDE, so flippin a bitch with a trailer is no big deal. You need to be careful driving back in the eve, if you've been to the bar, so walking distance is always nice (No DD necessary) For brews and good times, I have to recommend Woodys and Frankie Ds. More like a local saloon then a touristy bar. Occasionally you find some businesses in Moab that have forgotten what keeps them there. I have had a couple very isolated incidents with poor/rude service at restaurants, but Its not the norm. All of the out of towners are a double edged blade for the townys. Most of the food in town is surprisingly good.

I cant help you on the Jeep rental. I have seen plenty of them along the main drag, but never used their services. Good luck. Even easy trails and not so perfect days are awesome in Moab. It is Heaven on earth.

Been there many times. As mentioned, you can find homes or condos for cheap in the offseason. Just hit the web and many will pop up.

We rented a 4-door JK from the place on main strip in town (East side) and it was $250 for the day. We took it out on Hell's Revenge and it did great, but the last trail out is a little hairy if you don't have some support to push away from rocks. Definitely buy the insurance if you do that. There aren't too many trails you can go on with rentals, but they'll let you know.

There's an awesome trail called Mineral Trail I believe. A lot of dune driving and a few small ledges (drove it with a stock Cherokee), but once you get to the ledge, there's about a 1500 ft drop off over the Colorado river....simply stunning scenery and serious pucker factor if you don't like heights. (pics below)

Grab a trail map anywhere in town and you can find easy to extreme. If you ever go out with the buggy, hit Area BFE South of town about 15-20 minute drive. Well worth it & it's private land.

Moab030.jpg

DSCI0394.jpg

Been a few times, mtn biking and crawling... no place like it.
Just go and take it all in. I'd suggest going with someone who has been and knows the place well. It's more fun that way, to soak it in without trying to make sure you don't get lost... and all you do is soak it all in...
Take Nolen, he's been and could take you everywhere blindfolded.

Went there back in 2001 with a buddy, great place to wheel....pack a lunch. Hotels and Jeep rental is all within a mile in town. Have fun :dblthumb:

We've taken a vaca to Moab and man it was a blast. We stayed 13 days and did more than just wheeling while we were there. After talking to some locals we decided to do some horse back riding on a guided tour that takes you to some very remote places that you just can't get to via a vehicle. It was a lot of fun and worth the time. As far as staying we rented a cabin at in one of the RV parks. I can't remember the name, but it's the first one you come to on the right when coming into Moab.

Going to Moab is one of the places that needs to be on the bucket list of anyone that's into wheeling.

Do it and have fun

if your going to be out that direction montrose colorado is close by, it would be worth the drive(couple hours) 2 days of wheelin, great town and great wheelin too,, just a thought

I did a VRBO rental and it was great you will have a blast I want to go back in the summer and do some swimming in the big swimming hole

Thanks again guys for the helpful information. Pretty sure that my girlfriend and I are going, just trying to figure out how long we are going for and what else we can do and see while we are out there. I've definitely used google aplenty this weekend. Also I have looked at the majority of jeep rental places and for the most part they just say modified. So I guess I'll have to call to find out what is actually done to them and which trails they will let you run. I definitely don't want to pay $200+ and them not let you run Hells Revenge if you know what I mean.

bigs10blazer said:
if your going to be out that direction montrose colorado is close by, it would be worth the drive(couple hours) 2 days of wheelin, great town and great wheelin too,, just a thought

^^^True words. Also, if you happen to ride (mountain bikes) you have to stop in Fruita and Grand Junction Colorado. Epic riding (better than Moab) booyang

Here's a Jeep rental on the edge of town, showing why insurance is always wise :indianajones:
IMG_3627.jpg

The RV park behind the horse stables/arena has cabins for $35-40/night. They're converted storage buildings, but are clean and have AC. Bathrooms are close to the cabins and clean.

Latest posts