• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone go from diesel to gas and not regret it?

sledneck

Possibly in the market for another truck and I'm wondering if any of you guys have made the switch from diesel to a gasser and if your happy with your decision . I would be looking for 3/4 or 1 ton, extended cab, and 8' bed. Most of my towing is within 3 hours from the shop but we do try to have a few bigger trips a year. Guessing the trailer and my heep weight about 7000# all loaded up.

actually pondering this myself. old cummins getting a whopping 8.5 mpg loaded doing 75 down the highway. but doesn't help I drive like a maniac pulling the trailer.

Re:

I don't regret it because now I dont have a payment but I don't pull but about 7000lbs either, If my diesel would of been payed off I would regret it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

stuftmunky2k said:
actually pondering this myself. old cummins getting a whopping 8.5 mpg loaded doing 75 down the highway. but doesn't help I drive like a maniac pulling the trailer.

What year? Mine is a 95 and I get 18 towing one jeep?

2002 6spd needs a bigger turbo bought it with 100hp injectors in it. Shes not a fan of the hills down here. Only pulling a 20' bumper pull with a 3200 pound rig plus spares. Shes gets pretty warm hitting some hills. But bigger turbo means headstuds. Wanting a service bed but it sits up a little too high for that. Been looking at some duramaxs with service bed but damn i dont want a loan the size of a house. Also getting tired of shifting.

I went from a nice 1 owner diesel to an 01 v10 f250. Pocketed some money and it gets the job done. I figure I'll probably keep it until I buy a different house in a few years.

My dd is a ton gas 6.0. I also have some 7.3 work trucks, if I towed everyday I'd definitely want a diesel, since I don't I can't justify the price difference for my daily driver.

I've never owned a diesel, and went back and forth on gas or diesel before buying my Dodge 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I get 10-11 mpg pulling my lawn trailer everyday. I just got 9 mpg pulling a single jeep trailer from Knoxville to Orlando. I think the newer Dodge gas trucks get a little better gas mileage, but I have heard the older diesels get better fuel mileage than the new ones.

If I got rid of my diesel, it wouldn't b e for a ¾ ton gas engine truck. You end up with the same truck, worse mileage & less grunt. If you tow a lot and heavy loads diesel is the answer. *most* people don't really need a diesel for what they're pulling…honestly, I fall into that category. I have considered selling my diesel and buying a new 1500 gasser. I only tow a 16ft trailer and a 3800lb rig. It would be nice to have a more practical rig that I could drive daily. I know this is a sign of getting old (and my man card could be revoked) sigh…but, my truck is lifted, loud, and set up for limited use –pulling and looking cool. Lol. I'm too practical, I want a truck that's not so damn high I can't reach into the bed and grab something without climbing up there, something with good visibility, nice ride, quiet (except the stereo) wouldn't mind a sunroof either :woot: OK, sorry for that rant. Every time I start thinking like this, I remember that my diesel is paid for and has a new trans(the one thing that's in the back of every diesel owners mind) and it's a utility hot rod (a big clumsy hotrod) but still hard to part with…I have another daily driver or I think it would be gone by now…

Guess I should have stated that my truck is a 96 ford f250 with 275,000 miles. I have no plans on getting rid of it but I will be turning it into a dedicated sled hauler/flatbed work truck. I would get in this truck and drive it across the country right now. I would just really like something to drive that doesn't ride like a wooden wagon.

stuftmunky2k said:
2002 6spd needs a bigger turbo bought it with 100hp injectors in it. Shes not a fan of the hills down here. Only pulling a 20' bumper pull with a 3200 pound rig plus spares. Shes gets pretty warm hitting some hills. But bigger turbo means headstuds. Wanting a service bed but it sits up a little too high for that. Been looking at some duramaxs with service bed but damn i dont want a loan the size of a house. Also getting tired of shifting.
. What other mods? Exhaust intake? What programmer? Has alot to do with it. If it ain't breathing properly it'll get hot quick! And Arps ain't bad if you do it yourself

kmcminn said:
This is like asking if anyone prefers to **** with a rubber on.

molaugh

I went from a diesel back to a gas and absolutely regretted every minute, back in a diesel now and always will be as far as I'm concerned :dblthumb:

Intake horn, cold air intake, hx40 turbo, 4" turbo back, edge juice with attitude. Tuner stays on 1 all times. Best i can tell its 100hp sticks what i was told and it shows it. Hardly drive the truck only to pull the buggy or a random weekend once a month. Turbo hits 25-30 pounds of boost but still wants more. Last good haul was from ohio to tenn. Granted it was dang near 100 degrees and i had the ac blasting had to drop down to 5th on couple hills to keep it from melting hitting 1400 on egts easy. Just bugs me cant hammer down and just go.

I just went from a 01 F250 7.3 6spd, to a 01 GMC 2500HD with a 8.1 and Allison trans. So far i happy with the way the 8.1 tows. I pulled my 30ft 7,000 lbs camper the first day i bought. I was very impressed with it! I was worried about going from a diesel to a gas also. I was pondering between the GM 6.0 or 8.1. I am glad i went with the 8.1. I don't think i would have been satisfied with the 6.0. The only thing that i don't like about it is the gas mileage. But it's not my daily driver.

Latest posts