• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone go from diesel to gas and not regret it?

Yes, kind of.
I've had a couple Cummins, '00 and '04 manuals with chips. I sold to be debt free and drove cash trucks for a while. I also quit taking cross country trips at the same time. I've had teh same 01 6.0 chevy for a couple years and almost couldn't let it go for lots of money. It's been too good to me. $2700 from the auction with 188 on it, 216 on it now. Strong as **** and not a lick of trouble. Shitty mileage but no payment, no maintenance cost, let it sit a couple weeks, get in and go. Much less cool factor but it tows quite well to the places we go 3-4 hours away, even with the 22' goose with a buggy and rzr on.
That said, I bought a dmax end of last year. I wanted something I wouldn't be cussing at going to KOH. Price was right, harvest money was right, I jumped. I've been looking for a while. If you get pissed when it loses speed going up hills, gets passed by a buddy or downshifts, don't buy a gasser. If you can deal with getting there 10 min later than everyone else, having 10K less in it plus much much less per year in upkeep and almost no chance of a failure costing more than 2k, buy a gasser.

I went from a 04 F350 6.0 that I spent $6500.00 on BULLET PROOFING (HA HA) No such thing as making a 6.0 Bullet proof! Now a 12 Chevrolet Crew Cab Dually 6.0 GAS. LOVE IT!!! Pulling a 32 ft 5th wheel, my 24' gooseneck with a 5000 lb buggy? Same power at diesel? NO. Better all around? YES my 2 cents.

Re:

My buddy has a 97 7.3 with a good bit of work done to it and I was wasting time online and looked up the stock specs on it. My 8.1 has him beat by 100hp and we have the same amount of torque a stock for stock, so I think your right. I'd bet money I can beat them all the way to the first gas station at least.

muddinmetal said:
I'd love to see a stock 8.1 chevy drag race a stock 7.3 or 12v with 10k behind it to 80 mph!!!! I think/know the Chevy would smoke them, bad!!!

Having owned both the 7.3 and now the 8.1. I know this is a FACT! Stock that is. My 7.3 wasn't stock long though. It was just as quick loaded as it was empty.

I tow with a 5.7l Tundra and no regrets, way cheaper to buy and own than a diesel for the amount of towing I do.. brakes, tires and oil changes are all I've had to do to the truck in 130k miles and I can run with the diesels in our group no problem, I just need fuel more often cause I've only got a 21 gallon tank.. i get about 10mpg towing, Im hoping that will improve a little with the lighter buggy

muddinmetal said:
I'd love to see a stock 8.1 chevy drag race a stock 7.3 or 12v with 10k behind it to 80 mph!!!! I think/know the Chevy would smoke them, bad!!!
I know you said stock but what about both hopped up a little? ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattman347 said:
I know you said stock but what about both hopped up a little? ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a 8.1 had 70 lbs of boost it'd be bad sob :****: Right until it slung apart :woot:

I know one ol Powerstroke that ain't no joke though...

A stock powerstroke compared to even a lightly tuned powerstroke, are two different animals. Crazy how detuned the 7.3 is in stock form.

zjtrey said:
I tow with a 5.7l Tundra and no regrets, way cheaper to buy and own than a diesel for the amount of towing I do.. brakes, tires and oil changes are all I've had to do to the truck in 130k miles and I can run with the diesels in our group no problem, I just need fuel more often cause I've only got a 21 gallon tank.. i get about 10mpg towing, Im hoping that will improve a little with the lighter buggy
But you only get about 12 maybe 13 in normal unloaded city driving right?
Let's say on your best day 15 with a tail wind?
When you can jump in a 2500 and run 17 avg all day long unloaded then tow a redneck hauler at 11.0. To me gas is not a better choice.

Plus tundras hold their value just like a 5.9 diesel. I just can't justify the switch.

Re:

The dealer I got my 04 8.1 had the same truck. CCLB same color and twice the miles, but it was a diesel and it was 7 grand more. I did the math and I can drive about 30k miles with my gasser before I ever get to the purchase price of the same truck with a diesel. Especially if you're not driving them everyday.

Latest posts