• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone know Ford automatics?

junkyard jim

My ‘89 F250 Ranch cab has a 2wd C6 behind the fuel injected 460 and I’m looking at using an E4OD from a 7.3 diesel (assuming it’s the same 7.5L bolt pattern to the 7.3L adapter). My truck is in dire need of O/D or I sell it (with all new brakes and drums and rotors and a 4.10 sterling rear axle, 60-70 mph is achievable with much motor screaming and fuel consumption. The truck is a yacht to drive already but I need something I can trust to get there and back for least cost since I was disabled and not making bucks. The rollover crash July 1 2018 when I was run off the road didn’t help.
I know the torque converter is a different stall speed but that can be modded at a reasonable cost. The 7.3 truck is identical but has blown head gaskets and the 460 matched fuel “economy†without an O/D.

Be very very careful.

I had a 1990 F250 with the 460 efi and automatic.
The E4OD , which came in prior years with the 351, wasn't available until 1990 for the 460. It was (is) a sub-standard transmission. I made it until 2005 when I sold the truck. At the time I sold the truck, the trans had a 'shutter'. Regarding maintaining, it had services at 30k, 60k 90k (but not at 120 cause I was dumping it then) and every trans repair guy I talked to was AMAZED that it had lived so long. ...

Regarding mileage, don't know my gear ratio (or have forgotten it), but best I'd get is 10 or 11 mpg with OD. Worst would be 7ish towing.

Bought diesel in 05 and jumped to 9ish towing and mid teens empty.
Bought newer diesel in 18 and jumped to 12/13 towing, and HIGH teens empty. (best empty is 20.2)

edit; the C6 is a reliable trans, since the truck is a two wheel drive, what about adding an overdrive unit behind the trans? In years past, seems like that wasn't that uncommon of a thing?

Last edited:
The trans came stock on 7.3 diesel with an added turbo. I thought the 351 had the AOD which was a weakling. I know the 4.6 Triton I had in my Expedition and E350 cube van had the 4R70W which would have self destructed with 460 or diesel.

Last edited:
The 7.3 and 460 do not use the same bellhousing pattern. Also you'd need to cobble the transmission controller from the diesel into the 460 truck or find the processor and wiring from a 460/E4OD truck to make it function.

Guys have managed to redrill the bell to put a 460 trans on a 7.3 block but IIRC the other direction isn't possible. The pictures are long gone from the old forums now but it was some grade-A hackery to make it work in any case.

Last edited: