• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone with toterhome or big truck experience

fabricator1

In the market for a toterhome. Since they're built on a big truck, is there any motor and transmissions I should stay away from? I heard some of the little cats in the topkick type trucks aren't very good. I want to pull my goose with two rigs. Is 300 hp enough? Or do I need 4-500 hp? I want to be able to do 75 mph. I want to stay pre emissions.

Any HDT will pull that combo at 75. MDT may not in the mountains. I like the 3406B model cats and a 13 spd trans. That combo wouldn't even know you had that load on.

any HDT will do that no problem

just about any MDT should do that as well depending on gearing and terrain

nothing will do 75 up the mountains with a load - down is what you really should be concerned with. A bigger truck than what you need is always better so you don't overheat brakes.

I like the 3126 CATs but it's a crap shoot like anything else. I'd expect any of them to go to 4-500k miles without much worry
I've been told to stay away from 3116 CAT as it's just an underpowered version of the 3126

I've had 210-325 hp 3126's and all serve tow rig duty just fine for me in MO. There are a few hills and it can slow you but I can do 70-80 most of the time. Of the 3 I've had all have had 6spd trans of various type. All have big gaps somewhere and if you hit a hill at that speed it will suck, you just have to find out what that range is and stay away from it.

Re: Anyone with toterhome or big truck experience

Go big or stay home. Cat c13 or c15 with 13 speed, my last truck had 1.1 million miles and bottom end was original, Cummins isx is a good engine too, I'd stay away from automatics and see if they have a service record too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redline diesel said:
I have a nice toter for sale 3406b 475 horse that will run with 2 or 3 rigs
I have been tempted, but I'd like one set up to pull my gooseneck

I've seen Cats eat cam bearings time and time again. Can't go wrong with a 60 series Detroit. Hell, our 2 yard dogs have Cummins in them, and other than the garbage Allisons behind them they have been VERY reliable and trouble free.

Re:

My buddy grew up in a HDT diesel shop and runs the show now and I know he's always said 60 series Detroit's were good motors.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My 40' Fleetwood Discovery ran a Freightliner chassis which had a Cat diesel mated to an Allison transmission and I pulled the crap out of trailers everywhere without even knowing anything was back there. I think it weighed in at 35,000 pounds without the trailer. thumb.gif

ADMINISTRATOR