• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Atlas tcase??

skipnrocks

I am changing my drivetrain. I have an Atlas 4 speed and changing to a two speed. I have two questions.

I am going to an aluminum 6.2 with 6speed trans. It has a 4:1 first gear. I'm thinking of going to a 3.0 atlas. My figuring is I run a 4.3 for crawling now with a 2..7 first in my tranny. For crawling it should be about the same but with better trail speed for faster trails. My second thought was play it safe with a 3.8.

Second question. Prices for new are priced all over the board. Where is the best place. I'm open to used but not seeing any on any of the usual sites.

Be careful there is different output shafts for the 6 speed autos.

Also, google tells me the first gear on these is 4.03 :1

Final drive depends on your axle ratio, but 3.8 seems very low to me. Even with a 3.0 atlas and a 6 speed you'll be lower than your current first gear with the 4.3 atlas.

Bebop said:
Be careful there is different output shafts for the 6 speed autos.

Also, google tells me the first gear on these is 4.03 :1

Final drive depends on your axle ratio, but 3.8 seems very low to me. Even with a 3.0 atlas and a 6 speed you'll be lower than your current first gear with the 4.3 atlas.

Do you mean on the outputs as far a spline count? or are there other factors?

Re: Re: Atlas tcase??

SBJeepn said:
I am changing my drivetrain. I have an Atlas 4 speed and changing to a two speed. I have two questions.

I am going to an aluminum 6.2 with 6speed trans. It has a 4:1 first gear. I'm thinking of going to a 3.0 atlas. My figuring is I run a 4.3 for crawling now with a 2..7 first in my tranny. For crawling it should be about the same but with better trail speed for faster trails. My second thought was play it safe with a 3.8.

Second question. Prices for new are priced all over the board. Where is the best place. I'm open to used but not seeing any on any of the usual sites.
I have a 6.0, 6l80e, 3.0 atlas, with 4.88 gears going into my tj. It will wheel some and see street time as well. Let me know if you need help with an atlas.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

With the deep gearing of the 6l80. I would seriously consider an NP205. Not a huge expense if you decided to change later.
Not as bling as an Atlas but a great option.

Jduck said:
What axle ratio?

5:13. With 43in stickies.

I thought of the 205. But didn't know if I could make it fit with how tight the space I have is. And there is a 3:1 kit for them I believe by low max if I wanted deeper gears. But the size is my main concern. Gearing wise it would be about under what I have now. 4.03:1 trans and 1.96 tcase with that vs current 2.43:1 and 4.3

SBJeepn said:
Do you mean on the outputs as far a spline count? or are there other factors?

They came in 32 and 34 spline output.

I think you will be happy with the 3.0.

I just did a complete swap like this and went 456 gear and a 3.8 atlas. All 32 spline input and out on mine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk