• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Automatic Transmission rebuild or not?

Lil ugly

I put this in general population because I don't have any tech to currently add. I am looking for some opinions on whether or not it is worth trying to learn how to rebuild my auto transmission.

I have a 4L80. If I remember correctly it is from a 96 truck. I am looking to upgrade some of the weaker parts like the sprag, input and output shafts, install a reverse manual valve body and a general overhaul of the clutches, bands, actuators etc.

My knowledge level mechanically is pretty good - former aircraft mechanic, work on diesels/gas motors of all types, fabricate etc much like most of the members on hardline I am guessing.

My knowledge level of auto transmissions? Just enough to be a danger to myself and those around me.

Still I think it is worth it to learn the knowledge because the damn things are expensive to buy, and they are a much abused part of the rig.

Thoughts?

I agree, definately build it yourself. That is assuming its not going somewhere its going to be a huge pain to pull back out. Pay attention to detail, If a seal doesnt feel right as it goes together pull it apart and check dont just hope its right. Air check all your assemblies when you're done. They aren't incredibly hard to build, just tedious. Once you build one you'll have the knowledge and confidence to do it next time.

Check out The Transmission Bench on Youtube. The videos are a little slow but very detailed.

I'm going to come drink beer, watch, and hand you wrenches because I want to learn this voodoo magic they call automatic. :drinkers:

I rebuild my own since the th400 years back in the day as a poor college kid. There not hard like d_daffron said just pay attention to the details keep all the guts super clean an you'll be fine.
An If YouTube fails Haynes techbooks still exist.

Latest posts