• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bear wallow Hatfield and McCoy

Yes wv has a helmet law for atv's and utv's as well as full size rigs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know it's funny you mention that because I was on the phone last night with a WV Senator from the 6th District named Mark Maynard. I worked with him on a Senate Subcommittee last year and I'm working with him now on 8k acres of State Forest near Huntington that he is trying to talk the Forestry Division into letting Jeff Lusk and HMT manage as a Pilot Program. We also discussed in detail the need for helmets on trail not labeled Double Black, we are going to meet with HMT later this month and this will be a big topic of concern. I wear an AXEL which is pretty light but it would be nice not to wear anything at all unless I was running the Double Black stuff. I'll keep you guys updated.

Re:

Yeah, I don't mind wearing it on the hard **** in the jeep but I'd like to be able to come down and cruise around in my Geo Tracker and not have to worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hatfield and McCoy Trail System just concluded it's August Meeting and a few thing of interest came from it.

1. The HMT Board has approved using individual names for trails instead of just numbers. I'm meeting with the the end of the month to finalize the names.

2. Updated Maps are out with the following OHV trails now included
a. Long Crawl
b. Shaft
c. Pinion
d. Pickle
e. Deadfall
f. Double Barrel
g. Crawlfish

3. The HMT Board has also authorized a supplemental map that lists just the OHV trails so it's not as hard to find the appropriate trails.

4. I'll be meeting with the Landowner in September for final approval of 6 additional trails. Once we have his approval we hope to have them cleared by mid October and hope to hold another "Trail Opening" ride in late October or early November.

The Director ended his correspondence to me with the following sentence, which I think shows how committed they are to our community.

"Take care my friend, look forward to meeting with you and continuing to develop Bear Wallow into the best ORV park in the Eastern US".

Jeffrey T. Lusk
Executive Director

jbain8 said:
Hatfield and McCoy Trail System just concluded it's August Meeting and a few thing of interest came from it.

1. The HMT Board has approved using individual names for trails instead of just numbers. I'm meeting with the the end of the month to finalize the names.

a. Long Crawl
b. Shaft
c. Pinion
d. Pickle
e. Deadfall
f. Double Barrel
g. Crawlfish

3. The HMT Board has also authorized a supplemental map that lists just the OHV trails so it's not as hard to find the appropriate trails.

4. I'll be meeting with the Landowner in September for final approval of 6 additional trails. Once we have his approval we hope to have them cleared by mid October and hope to hold another "Trail Opening" ride in late October or early November.

The Director ended his correspondence to me with the following sentence, which I think shows how committed they are to our community.

"Take care my friend, look forward to meeting with you and continuing to develop Bear Wallow into the best ORV park in the Eastern US".

Jeffrey T. Lusk
Executive Director
Thank you and keep up the good work. It sounds like it is going to be a great park.
Looking forward to coming down at the end of April to experience/run as many as trails as I can.

I hope to make the late ride this year

jbain8 said:

a. Long Crawl
b. Shaft
c. Pinion
d. Pickle
e. Deadfall
f. Double Barrel
g. Crawlfish

Jeffrey T. Lusk
Executive Director

thumb.gif thumb.gif

The Hatfield-McCoy trails made the Crawl magazine issue 60.
Nice write up. We are defiantly going to be going there next year. :driving: Looking like middle to end of April.
Hopping to find some other people to wheel with down there.

onepieceatatime said:
We usually go riding in West Virginia the end of April. Well have to try and meet up.
We had a good time wheeling you guys last year at Windrock.
Let us know when you guys are going as we do not have a date set as of yet and it we think it would like to wheel with you guys again.

jeeppoor said:
We had a good time wheeling you guys last year at Windrock.
Let us know when you guys are going as we do not have a date set as of yet and it we think it would like to wheel with you guys again.

Post up what you all decide. We've been talking about a late fall early spring trip to this place. Maybe we can organize a group ride for the spring.

Spring is a great time for a big ride, it will also give me some time to get a few more of the really tough trails cleared and ready to open. Had a sit down with HMT last month and the plan is to have 3 hard days of riding available by the end of April. We are scheduled to take the landowner out next month for final approval on 6 new trails so we're making progress.

** EAST LYNN** Was part of a Town Hall with US Congressman Evan Jenkins and the Corps of Engineers. The overall theme was promoting the Trail Systems in Southern WV but it was also to discuss the likelihood of the Corps turning over a huge tract of land south of Huntington to HMT. The positive is it's like IVY and has been ran by the locals for years so the trails are considerably more mature than Bearwallow and I see this transfer happening next year. We also discussed the Kanawha Park which will be just south of Charleston, they have already signed 3 of the 4 landowners and the money for the trail heads and trail opening has already been secured.

That's awesome news, be great to get some killer trails a couple hours from the house

Since our trails are so much different than side by sides and 4wheelers, HMT wanted me to show Congressman Evan Jenkins and his delegation a quick example of what type of trails we need. After failing at my first attempt at Pickle I was too far to the right and deep in an undercut. When I looked up Evan was standing on the ledge telling me that if I had just a couple rocks under my rear tire I could make it. Then he went about stacking rocks for me, they loved watching what our rigs could do in person. Here are a couple pics.

EVAN_zpscl4uouvk.jpg

13920714_1057840104293146_7803179902287722745_n_zpsgnlt0r5w.jpg

IMG_20160815_095150527_zpsntvrqogu.jpg

Last trip down I finally got around to running the connector trail down to Logan for some fuel and a quick run through the drive-thru at McDonald's.

IMG_20160814_190101062_zpsqytcaqjf.jpg

IMG_20160814_191033896_zpsav5gjskj.jpg

A couple new trails I scouted last month.

The Bypass

IMG_20160814_183143709_zpsl4takbah.jpg

This is the upper section of Long Crawl which still needs opened. That's about a 3 foot ledge

IMG_20160814_152930247_zpsvyavavbd.jpg

Gate Keeper - I know it doesn't look like it but that's a 5 foot obstacle

IMG_20160814_165603200_zpsubrou3jq.jpg

I'm all for safety and sometimes a seat belt Nazi but I think a full time helmet would get on my nerves. But I will say the place looks really nice :dblthumb:

Latest posts