• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bear wallow Hatfield and McCoy

Hey everyone been following this thread for awhile, me and a bunch of guys from northern KY cincy area are heading down March 22-24. We're trying to find a place to stay/rent and we can't get ahold of anyone at the camp ground... any info or cabin rentals that are close would be great. Also anyone looking to show us all the good stuff is welcom to meet us there!

Booked a cabin at almost heaven cabin rentals. I stayed there back in October for a weekend trip. I booked our cabin for March trip today so we will just stay there. Not going to wait on this guy getting back to us about his little forts or whatever he has at trail head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beefcake said:
Hey everyone been following this thread for awhile, me and a bunch of guys from northern KY cincy area are heading down March 22-24. We're trying to find a place to stay/rent and we can't get ahold of anyone at the camp ground... any info or cabin rentals that are close would be great. Also anyone looking to show us all the good stuff is welcom to meet us there!
Text or call
(304) 784-4464
I always have better luck texting him!!
I just got him just now and told him another person was trying.

Re: Re: Bear wallow Hatfield and McCoy

toyotanuts said:
Text or call
(304) 784-4464
I always have better luck texting him!!
I just got him just now and told him another person was trying.
Thing that sucks is we already have a cabin booked now. What are the cost of those little cabins? Are they decent?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

simpletoy said:
Thing that sucks is we already have a cabin booked now. What are the cost of those little cabins? Are they decent?

I don't remember the cost, but decently cheap.

They are a no frills but perfect cabin. Two sets of bunk beds with heat/ac, small fridge in some and microwave.

Has a bath house with two bathrooms and two showers.

Been there a couple times now, great riding and good accommodations at a good price. If it's cold just ask the camp ground guys for firewood. They will bring over a bucket load for you. They have always been very accommodating to our group.

It's nice that you can drive your rig from campground straight to trailhead, it's right beside the campground.

Just follow the signs for truck route going in. It routes you around the low bridge/tunnel near the tax place in town.

Re: Re: Bear wallow Hatfield and McCoy

mac5005 said:
I don't remember the cost, but decently cheap.

They are a no frills but perfect cabin. Two sets of bunk beds with heat/ac, small fridge in some and microwave.

Has a bath house with two bathrooms and two showers.

Been there a couple times now, great riding and good accommodations at a good price. If it's cold just ask the camp ground guys for firewood. They will bring over a bucket load for you. They have always been very accommodating to our group.

It's nice that you can drive your rig from campground straight to trailhead, it's right beside the campground.

Just follow the signs for truck route going in. It routes you around the low bridge/tunnel near the tax place in town.
What trails do you recommend? I've only been in my old rzr. Taking buggy and a few capable trucks this go round

simpletoy said:
What trails do you recommend? I've only been in my old rzr. Taking buggy and a few capable trucks this go round

jbain8 said:
Thanks Mike, sorry for the delay. Here is a bootleg copy of the Bearwallow Trail System, however make sure the trail is open before attempting it. HMT is diligently working to get all the brush and deadfalls cleared but all the trails are not scheduled to be open until Late May.

BEARWALLOW%20FINAL_zps6yvbyrbo.png

Long crawl, double barrel, purgatory, the wall, triple nickle stand out in my mind. Been a year since our last trip there.

We ran most of what is numbered in red on the map.

Long crawl is a neat long trail but not very difficult. Good spot to warm up and get some heat in the shocks and gear oil.

Purgatory is awesome. So is double barrel. I don't think anyone has completed triple nickle if I have the name correct.

There is an awesome but doable trail that starts of main path and ends near beginning of triple nickel.

On the map, looks like you run 45 from N to S, the make a hard left up towards triple nickle near the intersection with 46. Just a neat/doable but not too easy creek bed.

We opened double barrel 2 years back. Multiple exits up and to the right to the main trail. Good stuff at bottom, that just keeps getting steeper and slicker the whole way up. More dirt/hill climb near the top/than technical rock.

The wall is pretty easy, unless you can't shoot up the left and turn back right fast enough. Then you end up on your side like me... enough tire and wheelbase and you can bump up the right side.

Purgatory is brutal but I love it. Big holes big rocks, not many lines. Exit to left about half way up, probably need a winch to make the last bit of the early exit. The trail continues to the right up the rock valley, awesome trail and the upper part is worth it.

I'll try to look at my old videos to see if they have more names.

Ended up having a great weekend with no breakage it major issues. Mine and beefcakes buggies did well, his better than mine but ls and stickies are what I'm going to say why his did better lol

A lot of trails were "closed" more than half of the black and red and lots of others as well. 14 was closed and basically anything off of 14 was supposed to be closed. We had an old map with us luckily or we wouldn't have been able to do anything besides what's over by triple nickel and we still had to chainsaw a couple trees fallen on the trail. (Luckily we had chain saw)

Im not sure what the exit of purgatory is supposed to be but it looked like so many trees down in the ravine we had taken the exit out the left where trail 72 was really close to. Ended up I had to winch it out. I found my Clevis bolts were loose on steering and didn't want to break those off so o winched. Ol "Marge" made it out with a little skinny pedal though.

For being dry it was slick with a lot of loose dirt on these ravines. You can tell it many people ride here in buggies. But overall a good time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearwallow is and always has been open to fullsize rigs, but it comes with its fair share of issues.

Bearwallow isn't maintained nearly as well as the other HMT trails so you'll often find the hard trails blocked by downed trees, so pack a chainsaw. There's active logging going on around it so it's best to call & see if any sections are closed. You can drive your ohv into town if needed, which is nice.

Blackbear campground sits next to the entrance, under new management, and both times I talked to her she complained endlessly about primitive campers wanting to use the bathroom & shower house and how they "take" those facilities away from others. Mmmhm. She said 60a hookup is $60 a night. 50a is $50 and primitive is $20. Not sure what the cabins & trailer rent is. The place is tiny so don't plan on just showing up & expect to have a spot.

Last edited:

Latest posts