• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Been out of the game for a long time..

WHITE TRASH1

fruit stripe
And I'm getting itch to get back in. :redneck:

I have a couple gifawkingnormous maxx based crawlers but I want a more scale 1.9 or 2.2 crawler and my head is spinning at what is out there now.

I built a wheely king for a good friend when they very first came out and I tweaked it for a long time and was very happy with it and he still is to this day as it is completely unchanged since I gave it back. :D I liked the axles it had but after searching RCC it seems ax10's may be superior or at least the aftermarket support is?

I ran my neighbors ax10 that is rather built with massive amounts of steel drivetrain parts and a brushless system and it was a fawking hoot but I don't know if it's worth it to start with a kit when I'm going to rebuild everything anyway.

This will never be used seriously in a competitive nature but I will be getting a dig trans and whatnot. And NO I won't even consider MOA axles as this is a scaler type build and that just isn't scale.

So enough babbling and onto my questions.

Is there a kit that is a great start for a comp type rig right out of the box? Good axles dig trans etc that is worth the extra $?

Are the aftermarket axles that RC4WD sells worth it? I don't want to deal with broken drivetrain parts so I'm not against starting with one of their comp rollers if the trans and axles are stout enough.

Is the R2 trans a stout unit? I'm a bit hard on stuff and with a brushless there will be much KOH/tough truck abuse headed the trucks way so overkill everything is the only way I'll go. :redneck:

i just picked up a losi comp crawler and it performs great out of the box but noticed the brushless esc gets super hot! so i gotta do some research. i have a few axials also but they are no where near stock. if you do go axial buy a used one with some hop ups,then you'll be that much further ahead in the upgrades dept.. i also make a bunch of stuff in the garage to offset the cost.

From what you describe, it sounds like a used axial is the way to go. There are so many out there you should be able to find one cheap.

Cisco I was getting to that very conclusion about the axial and then I came across the losi crawler. I had totally forgotten about that rig and I've always been a huge losi fan so I'm leaning that direction. Especially after reading up on a few of the features. Granted the axles aren't very scale at least they still have drivelines. :D

I have the comp crawler and it woops alot of ass. It's just expensive to set up. You have to have a 3 channel radio with 3 position switch to run front and rear dig. It also doesn't like to run anything but brushless motors. The axle gears need regular maintanence, the front axle shafts need upgrade, worm gear replacement is around 80 bucks, but other than that it hasn't broken alot of parts and it's been slammed hard.

The losi will outcrawl the axial, but the axial can be set up to run faster and rip around.

Last edited:
How funny....

What? I have always liked the scale rigs and with the new aluminum bodies that dent and crumple like the real deal it made it a simple decision to get back into it.

No I don't have a single plan on any sort of competition unless it's a TTC or KOH type of deal but I'd like to have another plaything.. :haha:

I have the comp crawler and it woops alot of ass. It's just expensive to set up. You have to have a 3 channel radio with 3 position switch to run front and rear dig. It also doesn't like to run anything but brushless motors. The axle gears need regular maintanence, the front axle shafts need upgrade, worm gear replacement is around 80 bucks, but other than that it hasn't broken alot of parts and it's been slammed hard.

The losi will outcrawl the axial, but the axial can be set up to run faster and rip around.

I have the losi night crawler but now wish I would have gone with the comp crawler, a VERY great rig out of the box but like Cisco said it will be a little spendy to get it running because its not a RTR.

Guy on rccrawler.com has made some chromoly worm gears that he has like 50 hours on & still perform like new, a little spendy but well worth the money.

With the axial you will need to upgrade the speed control right out of the box because it has a reverse delay that will annoy the **** out of you. Also the steering setup on the axials are very weak out of the box. buy a losi!:awesomework:

I hadn't taken the worm gears reduction into account and I'm now rethinking it as I have NO plans on competing.

Is the dig trans on the axial decent or is it worth it to step up to something from RC4WD? I fully plan on beating this thing withing an inch of its life repeatedly so near bulletproof parts are in order.

I do plan on going with all new electronics and a big dumb robot servo in the 300oz area so I'm not worried about getting an RTR with all the cheap crap they come with. ;: I'm also looking for a larger KW brushless with a controller that has instant forward/reverse. The crawler stuff is good but I want something that will fawking RIP when I want to get stupid. :redneck:

Any help in where to look for really stupid overly powerful stuff would be great.. I've been checking out RC4WD, horizon, tower, RCC etc.

I'd go AX10 for sure. Built from scratch as well. I need to get back into crawlin.

I havent been on RCC in a LONG time.

When I get some money I will build a comp rig. :stirpot:

i don't think the rc4wd tranny is that great. i have one and it's life span before re building is short.the dig does not like to disegage if its in a bind, and the dig part of the tranny seems to loosen up over time.if axial id build an all metal tranny and go with like a dna or vanquish dig. or 4 wheel steer, i have one w/4 wheel steer and is super fun also! i just got a losi comp crawler and am trying my hand at it, i works really good though right out of the box but is rather expensive to get set up.

If your not doing it to comp then why get a front dig? Your looking for scaler stuff and none of them run digs--same can go with the TTC stuff in the scale level...

I just think its funny how one point you had no problem putting those of us down who enjoy this and yet here you are asking help to do it...

Just sayin..

Why do I want it to do front digs? Easy because my truck does them and that would be scale to have the ability. And like I said I won't be doing any kind of competition with this so why should I care what someone else does?

I never put down someone who messes with r/c's for fun I poke fun at those that get so heavily into the comp ends of it. I don't see a point in doing any comps, I'll watch them but they aren't anything I'm interested in. I've been into racing r/c's since before you bought your first toyota, I raced every weekend and had a blast up until about 7 years ago when the local r/c shop closed and I got into 1:1 crawling. I talk more **** about the guys that are crackheads about touring cars than anything, when you are convinced that changing 1/2 a weight oil in your front left shock will improve your lap time you have a ****ing problem. :haha:

Why do I want it to do front digs? Easy because my truck does them and that would be scale to have the ability. And like I said I won't be doing any kind of competition with this so why should I care what someone else does?

I never put down someone who messes with r/c's for fun I poke fun at those that get so heavily into the comp ends of it. I don't see a point in doing any comps, I'll watch them but I'm not into that type of competition. I've been into racing r/c's since before you bought your first toyota, I raced every weekend and had a blast up until about 7 years ago when the local r/c shop closed and I got into 1:1 crawling. I talk more **** about the guys that are crackheads about touring cars than anything, when you are convinced that changing 1/2 a weight oil in your front left shock will improve your lap time you have a ****ing problem. :haha:

Should go back and read some of your older post regarding this from your other site--but what ever folks are too narrow minded to just let others alone to do what they want without having to put them down for it..

As for front digs--you stated in one of your posts about only doing comps if it was TTC or KOH stayle stuff in which case TTC stuff front digs are not used(yes they do it in RC form now). Some other clubs in the midwest have also done KOH style stuff..

As for the stuff I do--until you do it most really have no idea how fun it is and just how really tough it is. There are a few from this forum who as of recently started taisting the waters in the 2.2 comp stuff and were amazed at just how fun it is and just how challenging it really is. Of course when you have a good group of folks that do the comp series thats half the fun.

But why bother to spent the $$$ as you will be bored with it after 2 months :D

Crash you're off base on this one trying hard to remember things I didn't say. I have always been into r/c's and I've brought a lot of people into the hobby and had a ton of fun doing it. Yes I talk **** about the guys that are so far into things that they think non issues are game enders but I do that in every facet of life so you can stop trying to play the victim.

Why should I care about what the comp rigs do or allow, as I said this is for fun. If TTC doesn't require or allow front digs then woopty do I'll lock the servo arm and go go gadget I'm ready.

I am not a hobby butterfly, I throw myself at whatever I am into at the time and still dabble in whatever I've been into in the past. I still have all my race and crawler stuff but I haven't had the urge to drop $250 on a pair of servos for the crawler when I need to be spending that on the 1:1. I used to take my crawler with me when I went wheeling, I'll be doing that once again with the new one and I'll pick up some servo's for the big one to take it too. :D

It sounds like your more looking for a basher with some capabilities of crawling, In that case the axial would probably suit you better as it is capable of both. Out of the box it will need a little bit of modification but could end up being a great rig.:awesomework:

The worm gears in the losi would limit your need of speed as the gear selection is not that great & the gears generate alot of heat & would probably not hold up to the heat even if you could get a higher gearing for speed.

It sounds like your more looking for a basher with some capabilities of crawling, In that case the axial would probably suit you better as it is capable of both. Out of the box it will need a little bit of modification but could end up being a great rig.:awesomework:

The worm gears in the losi would limit your need of speed as the gear selection is not that great & the gears generate alot of heat & would probably not hold up to the heat even if you could get a higher gearing for speed.

Yes a basher capable of crawling is what I'm after in a nutshell. The scale semi realism is just a bonus due to all the sick parts out there now. The scale sx's and aluminum first gen body are what is fueling the fire. :D

If I'm not mistaken the ring & pinions are the same on the axial as the WK which are shared with the RS4MT or am I off base?

Latest posts