• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best all around wheel speeds and gear ratio selection ?????

Roy_Hobbs said:
Rpm's multiplied by 60 multiplied by tire circumference ( actual diameter x 3.14) divided by 5280 divided by crawl ratio.

(6000 rpm) x( 60 min) x (11ft) / (5280 ft) / (crawl ratio)

your crawl ratio looks off.

first set up:
1st: (2.52x2.43x6.72) = 41.2.......20.6mph
2nd: (1.52x2.43x6.72) = 24.8.....34.3mph
3rd: (1x2.43x6.72) = 16.3.........52.1mph

2nd set up:

1st: 38.3..........22.8mph
2nd: 23.1........37.9mph
3rd: 15.2.........57.6mph

I understand that figuring mph like this is not exactly right because you lose a marginal amount of power from motor to wheels, but ive checked the software that accounts for this and my numbers arent but 1 or 2 mph off at most.
sweet thanks. Easy enuf to do and hey jack we both be wrong on crawl ratio t400 is 2.48 1.48 and 1.00 :dblthumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 91
Re: Re: Re: Best all around wheel speeds and gear ratio selection ?????

NTIDWELL said:
sweet thanks. Easy enuf to do and hey jack we both be wrong on crawl ratio t400 is 2.48 1.48 and 1.00 :dblthumb:
I'm pretty sure you can get lower gears for a T400. You also have to account for TC slippage. Most older auto transmissions never lock the TC

kturner said:
That was the second time I had the buggy out and so far I love it.Last rig before this one I had a doubler with 4 to 1 low and 5.13 gears and it was too slow at times . Didn't have the wheel speed sometimes . Had stock engine also. The new one I think has the best of both worlds , has some wheel speed and can still crawl.

Thanks, i thought they were both the same.

So what yall think? 3.8 or 3.0?

If your motor really is 500hp+ then 3.0, I doubt you'l have issues crawling and you'll get all the wheel speed out of it.

kturner said:
That was the second time I had the buggy out and so far I love it.Last rig before this one I had a doubler with 4 to 1 low and 5.13 gears and it was too slow at times . Didn't have the wheel speed sometimes . Had stock engine also. The new one I think has the best of both worlds , has some wheel speed and can still crawl.

Sounded like you still had some more pedal left in the video.

Roy_Hobbs said:
Sounded like you still had some more pedal left in the video.
yes. Still getting the engine dialed in. I also believe she's gonna pull third gear alright. I hope. Lol. Still haven't tried third.

I figured the ratios with a video would help you determine what's right for you. With the horse power you're gonna have I would think you're pretty open as far as running tall gears.

yea its not having the high speed im worried about. I wanna keep a decently low 1st gear when a want it, and hit it hard with 2nd.

I run a stock ratioTH400, 3.0 and 4.56 gears. I like the combo for all around use. It crawls good and grabs ridiculous wheel speed on command.

3.0 all the way, I have a stock 5.3 TH350 203/205 doubler with 5.13 gears on 42's. I never use double low, no wheel speed. On the trail I use all three, third will shoot you around the trails form obstacle to obstacle plenty fast and still haul ass on the flats. I don't have 500 hp though.

Latest posts