• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best Home Security System opinions

tallnate

Just starting the search for a security system for my new house. Any opinions on a good quality / price combo system out there?

I'd love to have one of those wireless surveillance camera systems that you can monitor from your phone and what not but I'd assume they cost way more than I'd like to pay. Several years ago we had some punks break into our house and they stole all my guns, tv's and electronics etc so I want to make certain that doesn't happen again. What's the best bang for your buck service out there that will get the job done?

But that only works if someone's home... yeah my house got broke into about 5 years ago too. Got one of my handguns, Xbox, northface jacket, and almost got my tv but apparently got scared off bc it was sitting in the floor by the front door.

I hate a damn thief. But with the ole lady living with me now, she is there when I am not, so my house isn't vacant like it used to be when I lived alone. She knows how to use a firearm should she need to, but generally just someone being at home is enough to detur them.

Guns and many bullets!!! And a pitbull for when your away! Get the cheap wireless door and window alarm you can by on eBay! All the time break ins around here a alarm won't help maybe save a little on home insurance that's it.

Yeah well the pitbull didn't work because we had one in the house during the break in and those F'rs got my lunch meat out of the fridge and made a trail to the door to get the dog out of the house. :****:

As far as while I'm there, yeah that's not a problem, I've got guns and ****.. when I'm gone and nobody's home is the problem.

Plus I hate a thief and I want to catch those MF'ers

tallnate said:
Yeah well the pitbull didn't work because we had one in the house during the break in and those F'rs got my lunch meat out of the fridge and made a trail to the door to get the dog out of the house. :****:

As far as while I'm there, yeah that's not a problem, I've got guns and ****.. when I'm gone and nobody's home is the problem.

Plus I hate a thief and I want to catch those MF'ers

Get a cheap trail cam and rig it to see who's around when your gone

86chevota said:

X2 might not work for everyone but the way my house sits off the road you have to drive through a patch of woods on my driveway. Trail cam catches all vehicles coming in and out.

86chevota said:
I'd buy this over a high priced hard wire system if your going to buy one.

A finished home is nearly impossible to wire. I work with lots of builders, when framing is up and no sheet rock, prewiring is a breeze.

I have a wireless system at the store that I can view from the house, trail, etc. With a good vendor, you can get a good to great system that will do all you want. I can check the temperature in the store, talk to them , listen in to their conversations, etc. Without knowing him personally, I would bet Kpatterson could answer more questions than most. Ask him specifics and let's see what he knows. I'd love to have an SME in this field on the forums. :****:

What are y'all doing to protect y'alls shop? Can you have one wireless unit for the house and connect it to a shop 100 yards away? Or do you have to have two separate units?

[/quote]

yup I put one of my IR trail cams up right after the break in. I have 1000's of pics of my truck going in and out each day. I'll have a trail cam set up at my new house full time as well.

Nate is this at your new place?

If so, go wired at the new place. Wireless has it's benefits, but I've had more luck out of hard wired systems, than I have wireless.

That said, whatever you do, ensure that it allows you to put either one or more external sirens. That was my deterrent. My alarm system came with an interior siren, but it was only loud in the house. I had them put in an exterior loud as hell siren so that everybody in the area knew my alarm was going off. That kind of noise makes a burglar either move fast, or leave. On top of that, mine had an LED Strobe on the front corner of the house. The primary point was that in case emergency services was called, they can identify which home has the problem easily. It was a white flashing strobe that at night was bright as hell, and in the day definitely caught your eye.

I had doors and window sensors with glass break in the main room. Then on top of the alarm we had an interior camera for in case they got in. I had externals, but they couldn't ID a tag, just help me with a vehicle description on the fly. The interior camera is what would catch a thief as it was clear enough to ID someone from.

If someone has decided to break into your home, they will. You need something that will either make them abort, or bail quicker than they planned. A loud as balls siren and a bright flashing light will definitely get their attention.

EDIT: And to answer your questions, there are quite a few companies that will do a custom installation that isn't too terribly expensive. They really make their money on monitoring, like ADT. But I wouldn't go with ADT or those, get a custom one done. And my shop was wired with a separate system but I had it connected to my home with a secondary alarm via CAT6 cable. If the shop alarm went off, a secondary alarm went off in the house that was distinctly different. This let me know real quick where the threat was. In the shop was an ear piercing siren that hurt like a mofo if I messed up and it went off. That was my deterrent in there.

I pre-wired my first house and installed a Radio Shack system and years later switched the components to DSC. I used full readout LCD keypads and mounted one in the bedroom. If the alarm went off during the night, I could see where the entry point was. It had motion detectors, window switches, smoke detectors, heat sensors, and multiple sirens with an external siren in an interior closet that had a vented door. This was to freak out an intruder or wake a heavy sleeper. I paid $10 per month monitoring with NCA and no contract. I have a similar DSC system now as well in my current house.

customcj7 said:
Nate is this at your new place?

If so, go wired at the new place. Wireless has it's benefits, but I've had more luck out of hard wired systems, than I have wireless.

That said, whatever you do, ensure that it allows you to put either one or more external sirens. That was my deterrent. My alarm system came with an interior siren, but it was only loud in the house. I had them put in an exterior loud as hell siren so that everybody in the area knew my alarm was going off. That kind of noise makes a burglar either move fast, or leave. On top of that, mine had an LED Strobe on the front corner of the house. The primary point was that in case emergency services was called, they can identify which home has the problem easily. It was a white flashing strobe that at night was bright as hell, and in the day definitely caught your eye.

I had doors and window sensors with glass break in the main room. Then on top of the alarm we had an interior camera for in case they got in. I had externals, but they couldn't ID a tag, just help me with a vehicle description on the fly. The interior camera is what would catch a thief as it was clear enough to ID someone from.

If someone has decided to break into your home, they will. You need something that will either make them abort, or bail quicker than they planned. A loud as balls siren and a bright flashing light will definitely get their attention.

EDIT: And to answer your questions, there are quite a few companies that will do a custom installation that isn't too terribly expensive. They really make their money on monitoring, like ADT. But I wouldn't go with ADT or those, get a custom one done. And my shop was wired with a separate system but I had it connected to my home with a secondary alarm via CAT6 cable. If the shop alarm went off, a secondary alarm went off in the house that was distinctly different. This let me know real quick where the threat was. In the shop was an ear piercing siren that hurt like a mofo if I messed up and it went off. That was my deterrent in there.

Yeah I'm wanting this for a new house I just bought. The previous owner worked from home so they didn't have an alarm system because someone was always there.

I've been pretty busy this week so I haven't had much time to spend researching this topic yet but I will over the next few days. BTW why wired instead of wireless? I thought the concern with wired was because anyone could just cut the line right?

tallnate said:
Yeah I'm wanting this for a new house I just bought. The previous owner worked from home so they didn't have an alarm system because someone was always there.

I've been pretty busy this week so I haven't had much time to spend researching this topic yet but I will over the next few days. BTW why wired instead of wireless? I thought the concern with wired was because anyone could just cut the line right?
This is a common mis understanding. You want the communication to be wireless using a cell radio as opposed to a phone line. The phone line is the one that can be cut. I prefer a hardwired system myself. You don't have to change out batteries. In your case, you have no choice but to do wireless. Wireless systems have come a looooong way in 10 years. Feel free to go me a call to discuss.

Latest posts