• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Blue Torch Fab Work/Chase Truck

R

Ricky@BlueTorchFab

The Blue Torch Work Truck started life as a loaded 2008 GMC 3500 duramax dually. It was used to pull our enclosed race trailer. It had been modified with 8 to 10 lug spacers to run 22.5 wheels and semi tires, as well as many performance modifications such as a full Banks kit including an intercooler.

The truck is now in the process of being transformed into a chase/work truck for our race car. First order of business was to replace the bed with an 8’ utility service, as well as changing to a single rear wheel set up.

To convert to SRW we used hub spacers in the rear to mount our black 20” XD series Addict wheels. For tires we chose LT325/80R20 BTF All-Terrains that measure about 36” tall. The truck will also be getting a custom roof/bed rack to mount all of the equipment needed during a race. Miller Welders will be coming on board and providing BTF with all the necessary welding equipment we will need.

If you're looking to customize your truck, we sell and install all of the top manufacturers of lifts, tires/wheels, and accessories. Post here or call us at the shop with any questions!

BTFWorkTruck-12.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

The first time I saw this truck was at the DeWalt store and I thought "Dang these plumbers are makin some bank!", but then I saw the BTF tag molaugh. I like it because it's different and functional.

Looks damn good, I throught about doing that to my '07 dually but it would still have been too long for my work garage.

Now, why the flip top boxes? Make it hard to hang tires above the box. And sucks for standing on as you'll eventually wreck them.
I think the tops of chase truck boxes need to be rhino lined. They turn into viewing/lookout pavilions!!!

Can't wait to see the chase rack, how y'all are mounting the jacks, etc. Is it getting an antenna boom? What about air? Oh and you said welder, is it a genset, and is it going in the bed?

Sorry all the questions, but I heart desert workhorses!

When I was at KOH this year, general tire had a chase crew at the pits. The box was super simple but had everything needed for a chase truck. It had through storage at the front. It would hold an extra trans, and you can access it from both sides. Under the bed was a 100 gallon tank. I don't remeber how fast he said it would dump but it was pretty fast. I want to say something like 5 min. The tire rack was pretty cool, you could grab a tire from the center or either side (somehow) and they would still stay on the rack.
The bed was all custom built. Very clean.

You know who they were there with?

Only two racers ran Generals. Dave Schneider "DSI", and Wayne Isrealson "ZukIzzy". And neither had General support all week.
I know BJ Baldwins chase crews (yes plural$$$$) were supposed to be covering DSI with BJ driving but that didnt exactly go as planned.

I know we saw a new white '10 Dodge that was pretty setup on Thursday night, but it had no stickers, logos, anything on it.

I'll say it this year as well. With Parker425 being the weekend before KOH. It makes a hell of a way to kick off that week being at Parker. Nothing gets you more amped up than watching TT's and Class1's well over 100mph run the Parker Python.
And if you get a chance to pit for someone, nothing like driving way over the speed limit on a gravel one lane road in BFE trying to beat your race car to the next pit, and having Pistol Pete pass you on course (next to the road) at well over 90mph in stupid rough and watching realtime suspension beatdown taking place. :woot:

I don't remember , but who ever they were there for broke down early in the race. They had a couple of other trucks with them, but they were not chase trucks. One of the trucks was a late 70's ford setup to go fast. It made me drool a little

InDaShop said:
Looks damn good, I throught about doing that to my '07 dually but it would still have been too long for my work garage.

Now, why the flip top boxes? Make it hard to hang tires above the box. And sucks for standing on as you'll eventually wreck them.
I think the tops of chase truck boxes need to be rhino lined. They turn into viewing/lookout pavilions!!!

Can't wait to see the chase rack, how y'all are mounting the jacks, etc. Is it getting an antenna boom? What about air? Oh and you said welder, is it a genset, and is it going in the bed?

Sorry all the questions, but I heart desert workhorses!

Honestly I'm not too sure on future plans, but I know it probably won't get much attention until KOH. Maybe I can get James on here to post up some more info.

onealdodge said:
Truck turned out killer looking...what suspension mods are you gonna do?

Right now I think the plan is to keep running the BDS 4.5" lift.

Latest posts