• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bouncer Seat Question

showtime33

It's Hell "Without Jesus"
Building a bouncer, currently have carbeau seats for trail riding which the buggy will be doing but also want to be able to enter a few bounty hills and maybe a race or two just so my son who's (11) can say we did. I know certain races have rules of self containment seats with hans device etc. My question is has anyone used a certain brand and just changed them out when trail riding? If so is there a brand that uses the same mounts etc? Wanna get all that worked out before powder coat. Any info appreciated. Thanks

I used this one in my race car. Good solid seat at a good price.
11271B43-3641-4D21-8BDC-7159E17CB597.png

If racing requires a containment seat I won't race it. I've seen too many people hurt by them. You belly out from about 4 or 5 feet off the ground and the shock goes through your spine. Yes they keep you in tighter in a roll situation but walking is alot of fun.

If racing requires a containment seat I won't race it. I've seen too many people hurt by them. You belly out from about 4 or 5 feet off the ground and the shock goes through your spine. Yes they keep you in tighter in a roll situation but walking is alot of fun.

Shouldn't Bobby Tanner be dead twice?

Didn't Clayton Hollingsworth mess up his back because of that same reason?

He's taken some hits for sure. I know safety is always #1 and I agree. Just didn't wanna build the buggy and not be able to run it every now & then at a race.
I've got a pretty good dual purpose rig and I run suspension seats. So far nobody has told me I couldnt run because of my seats

you see most injuries that get blamed on suspensions seats are actually being caused by totally improper mounting of seats, seat belts, and in some cases even the suspension seat choice itself.

A standard Corbeau seat is NOT a racing seat and is not even kinda safe enough to be doing any real racing in. The headrest comes up to the base of your skull on the normal base level seat...that is not OK. Add in the fact that you see so many of these seats leaned so far back that the driver is having to lean forward to see anything and their head is already pre-loaded for whiplash. Add in belts that are mounted as what seems to be an afterthought is a lot of rigs.... and you have a recipe for disaster.

A properly mounted true racing suspension seat with proper (and properly tightened, more on this below) belts, is going to be more than safe enough for anything you would ever do. The containment seats have the advantage of keeping your head and neck from moving as well as keeping your body contained side to side. They do nothing to protect you vertically.

Another major point that is often overlooked is how much padding is in the belts. This comes in the form of actual belt pads (which have no place in a true race car), clothing as padding (too much clothing, jackets, etc on some guys), and then just simply body fat. The simple fact that some peoples bodies are more...umm....compressible than others :rolf: can lead to some movement in a bad crash too.

Containment seats have their place, they work great for some guys. But a properly installed (and proper design seat itself) suspension seat will work for 99% of guys out there in my opinion

Yeah I run the corabeau that looks like the prp. I had the shorter ones and they did suck.

First Off: Bobby Tanner is the toughest man in rock bouncing so he doesn't count.

2) If Hollingsworth had a ISP or legit containment seat with multiple stages of foam he probably would have faired much better. Kirkey seats are cheap, you get what you pay for. I haven't seen the first person get injured in an ISP, there is a reason monster truck drivers run them or butler or whoever else makes custom high end seats. They are way cheaper than hospital bills I assure you.

3) A nice suspension seat (not the cheapest ones you can find) should be fine for most racing) Be sure to set it all up correctly.

Here are a couple of videos to help:

Latest posts