• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brake pad options

twentyfootdaredevil

Normal buggy setup D60 front,14 bolt rear early Corvette master with 3/4 ton Chevy calipers front and rear.

I'm trying to determine what my options are for brake pads.

What determines a good off-road pad? Do the softer compounds work better?

Re:

Generally.....just the old cheapie / bottom level pads at the parts store should be fine.

Most "racing" type pads will require alota heat to get them in their good zone.

Re:

tonybolton said:
Generally.....just the old cheapie / bottom level pads at the parts store should be fine.

Most "racing" type pads will require alota heat to get them in their good zone.

Exactly right. The good ones will never get enough heat to break in. Cheaper the better

I have use the store brand at O'Reilies called Brake Best with good results. Probably even have a triple lifetime warranty or somthin'. :rolf:

Re:

Back in my track days....we'd get those wearevers silver editions from advance auto when we needed emergency brake pad replacement.

They worked great for about 1 track day.....then they'd "brick out". Meaning have lotsa pad material left but the material was just solid/useless/worse than stock pads.

Hawk makes a cold compound pad that doesn't require as much heat for them to work. I'm a little skeptical and don't want to spend $200 on brake pads to see if they actually work. Anyone try them?