• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brute - Rebuild

After a few months of clearing the stables so to speak...... we have turned our attention back to the Brute. We built this thing back in late 2010 from a pristine 1999 Jeep Sahara. It was wheeled pretty good for about a year or so and then it has been in storage pretty much for the last 2 years......actually sitting in a trailer at the park for much of this time. I am wanting to make a daily driver out of this thing. I have decided to rip out the stock 4.0 and replace it with a good low mileage 5.3 with the 4L60 automatic. My decision for going with the 5.3 was strictly fuel mileage. I will do this thread basically for anyone wanting to do this swap in a TJ. I will update the cost and time often and hopefully be able to keep a good record for anyone in the future wanting to do the same.

The front clip and original motor has been removed today. We will turn to Advanced Adapters and Novak for the components to make everything bolt up. Our consolidation of the wiring will be done in house and then sent out for a complete tune. We want this thing to be perfect in every way with all the factory gauges working and even all the emissions legal. Our plan is to piggyback the LS computer on top of the stock computer to accomplish this.

I've been looking at the Novak kit for the old lady's Jeep. Making the factory gauges work seemed like the only obstacle, unless they get replaced with aftermarket.

yankster said:
I've been looking at the Novak kit for the old lady's Jeep. Making the factory gauges work seemed like the only obstacle, unless they get replaced with aftermarket.

What year is the Jeep you have? Making all the gauges work shouldn't be a problem. We are doing our wiring harness conversion in house but I think Novak offers this as well.

Im glad you are doing this like a build thread I have had numerous people ask me the same questions about my white unlimited wanting to know the cost and what is needed to do a LS conversion

Here is a list with cost of what has been purchased so far to do the LS Swap.

LS 5.3 with 4L60 Transmission $1800

Advanced Adapters
Transmission to Trans Case Adapter $522
Engine Mount Kit $175
Radiator w/trans cooler $601
Electric Fan Kit $338

Toms4x4Superstore said:
What year is the Jeep you have? Making all the gauges work shouldn't be a problem. We are doing our wiring harness conversion in house but I think Novak offers this as well.
Hers is a 2004. Also is it possible to keep the cruise control?

When I did mine about two years ago I could not keep the factory cruise option or rather we could not use the factory jeep controls to activate it as you know the jeep uses what I call the old style cruise components unlike the LS type engines now this may have changed since I did mine but at the time I talked to Novak several times about it and also my engine tuning guy
Novak also make a interface module that converts the GM ECM signals into Chrysler signals to control the functions of the factory gauges so you can leave your gauges totally stock
Not trying to Hijack Toms thread he is a friend just giving the info that I have already experienced to help anyone interested

I concur with Kevin. If it was a drive by cable system I believe it could be made to work easily. However, on the drive by wire it is proving more difficult. We do have several ideas that we are going to try to make the stock buttons work on the cruise control. I will update if we can or can't make it happen.