• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building a new house

I asked my insulation guy about the trapping moisture problem and the issue with a leak in the roof and he looked at me like I was crazy. I know nothing about all of the intellectual stuff that is stated above but I do have some common sense!

I was scared that spray foam was to new and noone could answer any of my questions so I went the oldschool route but made sure to seal every nook and cranny in the whole house. My power bill is less than half what my old house was and is nearly twice the size. I think LED lighting throughout saves you more money than anything.

I wanted to add that I used zip R sheathing on my exterior. Becomes an R3 sheathing with 1/2" iso board backing.

One reason was to create a thermal break between the exterior sheathing and my exterior wall studs but also to give a non organic barrier for possible moisture to decay.

I'm also running 5/8" sheet rock throughout to gain some sound deadening and more fire protection as well as a more consistent barrier between temp fluctuation in my conditioned space inside of that wall cavity.

Lol. Sorry to jack your thread Matt. Read up and ask a lot of questions before you pull the trigger on foam brother.

I just wanted to add some of the precautions I'm having to take when using foam. I think the industry isn't ready for foam yet. I really think in the next 15 years we are going to see the effects of improper builds related to it.

how about up north? (like alaska)

My boss did construction work in AK in the early-mid 80s and said they spray foamed everything up there.

Some of the stuff you guys are talking about I have no idea..., fresh air ducts in your HVAC? Unit in your attic? Variable speed?
I need to read up on this stuff I guess.

They are spraying closed cell foam. Closed cell is not water permeable and is air tight at 2" of thickness.

Closed cell is the bomb. It has a higher R value per inch but it's 3 times the cost in my area so we opt for open cell foam. In residential but closed cell in our shops and metal buildings.

Open cell expands far more than a closed cell but when fully cured is water permeable. Meaning it's like a sponge and will absorb moisture and is not considered a complete air seal.

The key here is the insulation guys are spraying open cell foam in the walls and attics of homes. Then closed cell inside shops and our man caves.

So the industry is not really up to speed yet with the effects of open cell foam in our homes yet. In my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I talk like I know everything. I really don't. I push dents for a living.

It's just when I do anything I research as much as possible while I do it. So this home build that I'm doing myself has put me eyeballs deep in a new industry. Lol

All it really comes down to is sizing HVAC system properly and controlling humidity.

And I do agree, generally speaking the HVAC industry has not quite caught up to the spray foam insulation.

^^^ absolutely

Though I found there are a few key things that have to be dealt with at the same time.

Your climate zone, dehumidification in your attic space and to know almost exactly how well you have air sealed your exterior walls at your penetrations.

Which in most cases isn't very tight if you leave the construction solely to your subs.

Mainly because your HVAC system is designed to have a certain amount of air changes per hour. All depending on square footage and system size.

As soon as we spray foam, seal all of our top plate penetrations leading to the attic, install bad anus top of the line windows, seal all of your exterior wall outlets, vents, hose bibs etc

We have taken away literally a ton of air infiltration that we have had for decades in homes. Which was normal and accounted for. No biggie right?

That's where we have problems with moisture inside open cell foam. No air movement, no drying of that normal moisture buildup.

Now the system needs fresh air intake pulled from outside at a gable or soffit. Comes into the main filter of your air handler or dehumidifier.

Ok promise I won't blab anymore. This subject is just so real to me right this minute that I wanted to share with anyone who is thinking of using it.

Just consider the ramifications if it's not done properly. Big problems for you and your fam long term.

I think I'm kinda far away from being totally done with my home build and shop build all together. Spring time '19

I'll post a video of my walk through during the build of both the house and my shop.

If you use spray foam in your walls, how do you feed or pull new electrical circuits in the future? Seems like it would be a bitch to try to fish wire or cat cable.

Maybe im the only thats always moving data/electrical around in my house tho.

bbtank45 said:
If you use spray foam in your walls, how do you feed or pull new electrical circuits in the future? Seems like it would be a bitch to try to fish wire or cat cable.

Maybe im the only thats always moving data/electrical around in my house tho.

Same way you do for any other insulated wall...through crawl or attic preferably to a interior wall. However its easier than you think on a exterior wall, especially with open cell.

Got some new progress info, pics, walk through vids??

What are some of the huge decisions that have kept you up at night for weeks that have kept you from posting up???

Lol

Please share brother

Not a lot to show pictures wise. Most of the windows are in (waiting on my wife's fancy windows to come in)
Installing 2nd story windows with an extension ladder is as sketchy as it is an osha violation :eek:

Electrical downstairs is done, upstairs is getting there. My Electrician is slow - see photo

Plumbing is all roughed in.

HVAC is all roughed in.

Gas rough in is next, then insulation.

Figuring out correct Beam and LVL placement has been a headache to use minimum posts and keep our awesome view unobstructed. Decisions Decisions Decisions!

47684457_10106566269125901_8073549316792254464_n.jpg

48241596_10106577426820791_1937159241248800768_n.jpg

I take it you are NOT required to have permits and inspections in your area? Just curious.

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
I take it you are NOT required to have permits and inspections in your area? Just curious.

ADMINISTRATOR

In the Free State of Winston County we do what we want. thumb.gif
No inspections other than Septic.

BustedKnucklefilms said:
In the Free State of Winston County we do what we want. thumb.gif
No inspections other than Septic.

I figured you might not be a member of the local Electricians Union. lol

ADMINISTRATOR

BustedKnucklefilms said:
Not a lot to show pictures wise. Most of the windows are in (waiting on my wife's fancy windows to come in)
Installing 2nd story windows with an extension ladder is as sketchy as it is an osha violation :eek:

Electrical downstairs is done, upstairs is getting there. My Electrician is slow - see photo

Plumbing is all roughed in.

HVAC is all roughed in.

Gas rough in is next, then insulation.

Figuring out correct Beam and LVL placement has been a headache to use minimum posts and keep our awesome view unobstructed.
Absolutely the challenges are unreal most of the time. I really like those large sill windows. It makes for really nice trim out during finish and keeps you from sheet rocking that area, not having to texture and round corners. Looks super clean.

Yes, setting windows was such an ordeal for me. I have 5 clerestory windows, all very small up high but I had roof to stand on.

The biggest challenge during windows for me was I had a pair of guys who had no clue what they were doing. So I had to flash and set more than half of mine. They blew nails right through the flange instead of the pre drilled holes. Broke every flange they did that to.

Yeah I remember engineering LVL locations too. I don't have a very complex floor plan, relatively speaking like yours. I don't have any aggressive roof pitch or line changes.

I do remember however my framers ending 6 rafter tails at an LVL with less than an inch of rafter touching. I caught it and we made 6 large rafter ties to properly support that ridge that came across that section. CRAZY!!

Hey man, you're doing great. Good to see your pics and progress. I love it. Keep it up.

What did you decide on insulation choice??

LightBnDr said:
Hey man, you're doing great. Good to see your pics and progress. I love it. Keep it up.

What did you decide on insulation choice??

Spray Foam for sure. Closed Cell downstairs in the basement and open cell up top is the current plan. Waiting on someone to come give me some estimates on material.

BustedKnucklefilms said:

Figuring out correct Beam and LVL placement has been a headache to use minimum posts and keep our awesome view unobstructed. Decisions Decisions Decisions!

My mexican crews used to hang out the windows and do it. it was impressive.

Make sure you double check those lvl because that **** has changed a lot in 2 years. The codes up here are crazy.

jeeptj99 said:
My mexican crews used to hang out the windows and do it. it was impressive.

Make sure you double check those lvl because that **** has changed a lot in 2 years. The codes up here are crazy.
So what I found when they pulled that crap was they used nails from their gun to space underneath the window frame. Then when they blew nails through the flange it would squeeze the head of the nail through the water proof flashing. Let alone when you removed the nail for obvious reasons it would tear the flashing even more.

Hey Matt, be sure to ask your HVAC guy about dehumidification in your open cell areas.

LightBnDr said:
So what I found when they pulled that crap was they used nails from their gun to space underneath the window frame. Then when they blew nails through the flange it would squeeze the head of the nail through the water proof flashing. Let alone when you removed the nail for obvious reasons it would tear the flashing even more.

Hey Matt, be sure to ask your HVAC guy about dehumidification in your open cell areas.

We made them get a sign before it was flashed on what type of nails and all that. If it wasnt signed off they didnt get paid. With hold pay once and word spreads quick.

Latest posts