• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building a RC chassis

Eric

I am looking into building a chassis of some sort and looking for tips or tricks that people have learned over time. I will be using Berg axles if that matters.

Materials? Aluminum? Delrin? Lexan? something else?

Where is the best place to get materials?

I plan on trying a few differnt models over time so I would like to keep it less expensive but I also want it to hold up to some abuse.

Tips with specific links would be great!

paging crash. cras come in please. hey crash.

but seriously there are a few people on here that can help you out :awesomework:

oh and bergs suck :fawkdancesmiley:

True but they are still better then most of whats on the market from what I can tell.

So what about my actual questions?

Do not use delrin for the chassis--the crap simply won't hold up to hard abuse. I will dig you up a link for the material here soon...

But you want 1/8" alum material but not 100% alum as its going to be too soft.

Do not use delrin for the chassis--the crap simply won't hold up to hard abuse. I will dig you up a link for the material here soon...

But you want 1/8" alum material but not 100% alum as its going to be too soft.

Bump for crash :hi:

Sorry Eroc--I did indeed forget.

Here is something that would hold up very well. I am not sure what alloy of alum. I am using as it was a sheet I had bought years ago.

But here is where I have been sourcing my raw materials (delrin especialy)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum/=5ah9v3

Thanks Crash! sorry to bug you about it.

Now I have a bunch of reading to do to figure out which alloy I will order.:mad:

6061-t6 is the stuff to use. It's high strength, easy to machine, readily available, and moderately priced.

6061-t6 is the stuff to use. It's high strength, easy to machine, readily available, and moderately priced.

I am pretty sure this is what I have. Its actually easier to work with than straight alum since its harder it has a less of a tendacy to gall up in blades and files...

Latest posts