• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building techincal trail, good example?

Is this what you'd like to see at Reiter?

• Total voters

japerry

I was surprised to see that no one has talked about TSF's Airplane Hill. From everything I've heard about the Reiter plan, it will end up being very similar to what Airplane Hill is.

*Thanks Wes for the photos!*

Some main features of a good trail build:
  • Proper Signage
  • Obsticale/Filter/Shoefly to keep the unequiped out
  • Gates on both sides to EASILY close the trail
  • well defined borders for the trail
  • designed paths for all vehicles that can pass the shoefly
  • man-made rock to build into the hill
  • between 800-2000ft long

Airplane Hill has all these features. Before the rebuilding, it was a steep hill climb, that at its worst, not even 49" high powered buggies could make it up. ODF (Oregon's DNR) closed the trail and consulted with groups to reopen it in a sustainable fashion.

Signage is the first thing you see to indicate you're at Airplane Hill, and the difficulty. Notice that the signs are made with that particle plastic. This makes them EASY and inexpensive to replace:
aqz.jpg

Now, Airplane hill has gates on both sides of the trail, as well as filters to keep anyone with less than 33s out.
ard.jpg

Lockers aren't really needed to get through, so there is still a way around the hard obstacle.

The climb has large rock everywhere, which makes it hard to dig large ruts or cause massive erosion. However, there are sediment traps at the bottom to keep any moving silt from going any further from the floor.

The trail is like this, although its hard to see the hill, the second pic shows a rock nearly as tall as my jeep (hood). I took the left way, but buggies can be challenged to the right:
aqt.jpg

aqo.jpg

aqq.jpg

At the end, there is another filter:
aqy.jpg

Some videos of building it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73LsMrHajxk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1jFYIw2xKI

Some videos of entering the trail, notice the gate at the end of the filter. (btw, 4000lbs of concrete is what makes up the posts for this gate. it'd be hard to take down..):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhuO-uhpDio

This is what I see Reiter turning into. Will it be BYS or outlet mall? probably not. But it will make things difficult for anyone with 37" or under tires, and at least interesting for those who're well equipped.

Last edited:
Signage is a must :awesomework: then 5/8 crushed rock anywhere there is dirt :haha:

It looks to me that they ruined a good hill. It used to deny 49s on high powered buggies and now a jeep with 35s cruises right up. It looks like a rock quarry puked down the hill, real bumpy but not that hard. It is a little scary if the powers that be think that is a severe trail. Just my .02.

It looks to me that they ruined a good hill. It used to deny 49s on high powered buggies and now a jeep with 35s cruises right up. It looks like a rock quarry puked down the hill, real bumpy but not that hard. It is a little scary if the powers that be think that is a severe trail. Just my .02.

Your other option is closed gates at both ends! Now how does it look?

your never going to please everyone. As a model for how to manage trails I think they've done well, The governing agencies want to see sustainablity, that's a good example. As long as there are trails of different difficulty levels so everyone gets to play then fine.

I hate to say it but I don't think we'll ever be able to simply let nature take it's course if we want to keep areas open.

Those are great trail ideas but to tell you the truth I think that they are average trails for man made
parts of BYS, OM, SOL along with the original lines of Sacup and cable trail are all on the plans and are possible. I will also throw in upper izzy after the flood. The rock face, stair step, shoots and ladders.
Then lets go out of the state and think of some trails out there that have some cool fetchers
There is over 25 trails somewhere between 300

I like that 160-180 series exacavator with a clamshell, thats perfect for building trails! Anyone know anyone with one of those? (just for future reference):corn:

I know what your thinking Jakob:cool: I say we try an throw a elbe log challenge style obsticle in the lower section. Maybe a few stairsteps built outa logs. We could also make the upper section (way up, past the egg rock, in the newer clear cut) challengeing as a gate keeper, as its easily accesable from the road.

Also, WA DNR has done a few of these style obsticles at Tahuya.:awesomework:

Last edited:
My 2 cents is that any open trail is a good trail. This trail looks great, I just wouldnt rate it severe.

The right hand line at the top denied all but one rig in our group that day.

Also If you do not hit the top section just right its real easy to get tippy in a hurry. We had two rigs almost get flopped at the top.

Interesting little section of trail but I would give it a 3+ out of a 1-5 scale...If that's severe we got problems.:rolleyes:

At Brown's camp they have taken to labeling everything with rocks on it "severe". Other spot that are labeled severe include the crushers, 7-up, canopener, and waterfall.

That looks great for the weekend warrior in his Jeep, Yota, Sami ect...you guys are really getting a good base for the masses. Which is what is needed. Probably won't find me or my friends frequenting there but that's perfect.:;