• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Built rigs vs. built sxs

hjpcummins

My brother and I were debating the investment between built rigs and sxs.
Obviously you can go all out in both directions.
But to keep this a simple discussion I'd like to hear from people that have both (rig and sxs) and people that have sold out for one or the other.

investment?

they are both money pits no matter how you look at it. There is no investment here :****: laughing1 booyang

Gayzors are stupid though when it comes to the amount of money people are putting in them. $30K and the wheels still break off if you even look at it funny.

but you can finance it.... if thats your thing

They both have their place.

A SXS is NOT a crawler never was designed to be and will not hold up after relentless abuse, but if you are wanting to go fast and have fun just trail riding they are awesome and nowadays they are built for all that right out of the box! A SXS is a lot cheaper to operate, unless you are tryin to Rock crawl or hill kill with it, load it on a smaller trailer and put $20 in gas in it and go!

You just have to step back and look at what most of the trails you ride are and figure out what is best for you!

Re: Re: Re: Built rigs vs. built sxs

money_pit_yj said:
I think this is on point. Get all the off road experience for 155 a month for 16 years!
Please tell me average joe isn't doing this.
20k for 6 years ... $300
It's hard to swallow that alone

hjpcummins said:
20k for 6 years ... $300

From what I've heard, that's right on the money. Apparently they are financing them left and right. :rolf:

If you can buy a rig for a good deal and do work to it yourself to better it you can typically get back out of it your initial investment. However I don't consider my time when I figure what I have in my buggy. Mainly because I enjoy being in the shop as much as I do being on the trail. If I did that it I would be so upside down in it, it would be sickening.

Go buy a new RZR and ride it the same amount and you will be lucky to only lose 25%.

If you can't do the work your self you better have deep pockets no matte the route you go. Cool ain't cheap.

Re:

I have both, but am trying to leave my rzr alone because I don't have the time or money to try to keep up with a built rzr along with my jeep. And most of the people I know with sxs have them financed, a couple think they have mini bouncers and the sxs quickly let their wallet know that they are not a bouncer lol

The main reason I have both is so when something tears up on the buggy we have another way to play the rest of the day. There has been several times we haul the razor to Parks and never unload it. But again there have been times we have razor ridden the majority of the day and just played with our buggies for a couple hours. If I had to pick one the razor would be gone and the buggy would stay that is what this sport is about. All of this is just my opinion good luck which ever way you choose!

I have both. They fill distinctly different desires and riding styles as many have said. I thought I could live without a crawler so I sold my last one before I got the RZR broke in good. They absolutely are not a replacement for one another. With that being said, I don't need a diesel or an 18 foot enclosed trailer to pull the Rzr. My tacoma and 10 foot trailer will pull the RZR all day long. The RZR also has a warranty so broken diffs and axles are not something I worry about. Both are fun. They can even be fun on the same trails, but its different fun. Also, most guys in crawlers aren't very friendly to RZRs.

hjpcummins said:
20k for 6 years ... $300

I am of the opinion that these SXS manufacturers make more on the financing than the actual product. Now I have ABSOLUTELY NO proof that this is the case, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that this is the game. I'd compare it to the tool truck driver in that respect.

Financing a toy that your going to break and beat the **** out of sounds like a terrible idea

KPatterson said:
Financing a toy that your going to break and beat the **** out of sounds like a terrible idea

It is the way of the world now. :dblthumb:

Not something that I would do. I will just stay a broke :JRich:

KPatterson said:
Pretty much the way I feel.about a boat..use it for 3 months out of the yr

DirtRoads said:
I am of the opinion that these SXS manufacturers make more on the financing than the actual product. Now I have ABSOLUTELY NO proof that this is the case, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that this is the game. I'd compare it to the tool truck driver in that respect.

Nope. I don't mind sharing. If mine had gone full term, I would have given them $700 in interest. Now, maybe the folks that have terrible credit and finance the entire amount plus $5k in Polaris accessories plus an aftermarket warranty and wind up signing a $30k note fall into that category. I feel like they are taking the Walmart approach and making their money in volume. Look how many they sell. The reason you see so many more rzrs on the trail isn't because they are cheaper to buy, build or maintain. It is because they can be financed.

I have both.

Both fill different needs. If you want to trail ride, get a rzr. If you want to go extreme, go buggy. NEITHER are an investment.

My Rzr is clapped out POS that is fun to beat on and pretty damn cheap to fix. The buggy is IMO more fun, but is more expensive to haul, fuel, and break. I actually can haul my RZR and my buggy on my 18' trailer and enjoy having a "Plan B".

I have too many hobbies though so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Between the mtn biking, dirtbike (KTM), Rzr , Guns and buggy i dont have time to even fully enjoy everything.

I cant speak on financing. As a general rule of thumb I dont finance toys. I financed a dirtbike when i was a kid (17). Quickly learned when I tried to sell it why my father had been right and he got a good laugh at me. Probably the best thing that could have happened to me at that age. Learned alot.

kevinhumphrey said:
The main reason I have both is so when something tears up on the buggy we have another way to play the rest of the day. There has been several times we haul the razor to Parks and never unload it. But again there have been times we have razor ridden the majority of the day and just played with our buggies for a couple hours. If I had to pick one the razor would be gone and the buggy would stay that is what this sport is about. All of this is just my opinion good luck which ever way you choose!

Same here but sold the rzr about 3 weeks ago and just went juggy, one weekend at Gray Rock and I am looking for a rzr again. (Not an 800 this time) But yeah it was great if you break and you can unload the rzr and tool around.

Latest posts