• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

C10 vs C25 Shielding Gas for MIG

98TJ

I'm considering buying a MIG machine (Millermatic 255) that requires C10 shielding gas (10% co2 / 90% argon) when welding in pulse mode. Anyone have any experience with C10 gas? I was mostly wondering about availability and cost vs C25.

Thanks for any help.

My local AirGas was out of C25 so I got a bottle of gold gas C10. It was the same price as the C25. For what I am doing (spray transfer) there is really no difference. For running in the pulse mode I would recommend C5 gas. The C5 gas is designed for the pulse spray transfer, it helps arc starting and stability.

Last edited:
The voltage threshholds vary for spray transfer depending on the shielding gas. We have a 350p setup with 0.045 and c10 for pulse spray transfer in the shop. Your welcome to come play around with it one day. Its a good process for thick materials. We use it generally for 3/8" and thicker. Inside the shop it has pretty much replaced stick welding. Sexton welding supply stocks it in various sized cylinders. The cost is about the same as a bottle of c25.

I run 95% Argon 5% Oxygen on an OLD miller 200 with a big 400amp rated Profax gun and .035 wire, for spray transfer or pulse (I'll use pulse sometimes if it has to be long continuous bead on 1/2" or less). If it ever dies we'll get a 350.

on the newer miller 225 I use c25 and .035 wire, mainly for odd position/uphill/overhead, still using the stock gun

and the little Hobart 175 runs C25 & .023 wire for small stuff

75/25 is the normality for hardwire. Spray transfer is far too hot for general fab work or getting out of position (Vertical up, overhead, horizontal) essentially anything besides flat. You can run 80/20 for flux core, up to 95/5 without issues but generally a wps will call for 90/10. I am picking up another 255 tomorrow for the shop and it will be ran strictly off 75/25 with .035 hardwire......

can you weld vertical up with 95/5?
Sorta. It's spraying so it's a liquid puddle and will droop quick. Vert down on 1/4" works fine, just have to stay in front of the puddle so it's burning base metal. It's real obvious if you don't and let the puddle outrun you. I wouldn't want to weld a tube chassis with 95/5.

Last edited:

Latest posts