• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Can anybody help me find a insurance company to insure my buggy.

offrd

I'm in the process of building a buggy and I'm having trouble finding a insurance company that will cover it. Any information would be very helpful.

I use Foremost on the Single Seater. The class is Dune Buggy. The engine size is in cc's, so I put 6,200. It is a stated value policy and they have pictures so they know what they are insuring. I have fire, theft, and liability. No collision. PM if you want my agents name. The 38 Special is insured through Infinity as a show vehicle, also stated value with pictures.

offrd said:
I'm in the process of building a buggy and I'm having trouble finding a insurance company that will cover it. Any information would be very helpful.

State Farm for my 4 seat tube buggy. I only have liability on it now but have discussed full coverabe options. with them.

I am a State Farm agent in Georgia so if you live in Georgia I can do it. If not I can find you an agent in your state that will. PM me if you need help.

For those using State Farm ... my rep can not insure mine without a VIN and even then says it would not be covered while being used offroad. I have had other agents from other large companies willing to sell me a policy but in the fine print of the contract it states the same. So be careful because when the **** hits the fan its the fine print they go by, not what the agents said or you claim they said.

J. J.

Try Progressive they will insure anything with wheels. I have had insurance with them for 20+ yrs and never had a problem with a claim. I have had everything from a quad to an peterbilt with them.

Bronco Buster said:
Try Progressive they will insure anything with wheels. I have had insurance with them for 20+ yrs and never had a problem with a claim. I have had everything from a quad to an peterbilt with them.

They would not insure my buggy.

J. J.

patooyee said:
They would not insure my buggy.

J. J.

I'm with you JJ. I tried State Farm, Farmers, Progressive, Gieco Motorsports, Haggerty (agreed value), Grundy (agreed value), Travelers, and a handful of motorsports specific insurance. And the ones that I got to agree to coverage came back with $500-900/month policies for Theft/Fire only. I have my hot rods through Grundy, and used to be through Haggerty. Even agreed value they wouldnt touch them.
Some would cover competition only and only at a competition, and some would cover everything until it was started and/or offroad.

By far the best coverage I found was from K&K in Fort Wayne, Indiana, I remember that much and can dig up the coverage, but decided to self insure instead. I know some are worried about hitting people at events or hurting their rider. That has never been something I have worried specifically about like others. What has always got me is having my truck and trailer lifted from a hotel parking lot and being SOL on everything in or on my trailer.

This contact info is from 2008 so it may not be right any more.
Justin Lanning | K&K Insurance Group, Inc.
Motorsports Underwriter
1712 Magnavox Way
Fort Wayne, IN 46804
Phone: (260) 459-5895 Fax: (260) 459-5102
Email: [email protected]

InDaShop said:
I'm with you JJ. I tried State Farm, Farmers, Progressive, Gieco Motorsports, Haggerty (agreed value), Grundy (agreed value), Travelers, and a handful of motorsports specific insurance. And the ones that I got to agree to coverage came back with $500-900/month policies for Theft/Fire only. I have my hot rods through Grundy, and used to be through Haggerty. Even agreed value they wouldnt touch them.
Some would cover competition only and only at a competition, and some would cover everything until it was started and/or offroad.

By far the best coverage I found was from K&K in Fort Wayne, Indiana, I remember that much and can dig up the coverage, but decided to self insure instead. I know some are worried about hitting people at events or hurting their rider. That has never been something I have worried specifically about like others. What has always got me is having my truck and trailer lifted from a hotel parking lot and being SOL on everything in or on my trailer.

This contact info is from 2008 so it may not be right any more.
Justin Lanning | K&K Insurance Group, Inc.
Motorsports Underwriter
1712 Magnavox Way
Fort Wayne, IN 46804
Phone: (260) 459-5895 Fax: (260) 459-5102
Email: [email protected]

You might try Grundy again. Just the other day they told me they would cover my buggy if only I had some other collector cars insured by them as a collection. I do not have anything other than the buggy.

J. J.

Grundy nand Haggerty both turned me down on the 38 Special. I had it insured with someone (I forget) for fire and theft and decided to add full coverage, their additional premium amount was $5,800 per year. I dropped them and went with Fidelity.

I tried to get ins. for fire and theft on my salt car as well. Just dont want it to walk when it is actually together in one piece (i.e. not at the shop) no beuno on it based on cost, but there are a ton of companies that will insure a drag car, so I didnt have much trouble on it just wasnt willing to pay what they wanted to insure. Truely only scared one week a year when it sits out at Bonneville in the open evrynight and no one is around. They "kick" everyone off the salt at night so all your stuff is just out and hanging out until you come back the next morning. If you car goes to "impound" for a backup run the next morning it sits there from an hour after your 1st run untilo the following day at 7am. So every Tom/****/Harry is walking around it scoping it out.

Just to clarify.. I can't speak about contracts in other states because I'm not licensed there and they all have some differences. (Miss,TN, AL, do have them) State Farm does have a recreational vehicle insurance policy that is designed for dune/rock/mud/ATV buggies. You do not have to have a Vin number. You may have to create a serial number and stamp it on the buggy for id purposes. The optional coverages are liability, medical payments, collision/theft, underinsured/uninsured motorest coverage. If a claim occurs during a sanctioned race where you win a trophy or money is paid out after the race no coverage is provided during the race. If you have a SF agent and he or she said no its most likely because they don't want to take on the risk not that they can't do it. In a few cases its because they just don't know about it. I read the "fine print" so I know what it says. I even went as far as calling the underwritting department and the claims department. I'm not posting this for business purposes I just wanted to help y'all out. I love this hobby so I want to help people in it when I can. Some other companies do have this contract as well but I don't know about them. When the **** hits the fan you are much better off being with a captive agency like State Farm, etc. Those agents have relationships with underwritting, claims, and the corporate side of the company to make sure you are taken care of. You also need to consider a Personal liability Umbrella in case something serious happened in a liability situation to protect you from someone coming after assets you don't want to give to them. (house, 401k, future wages etc.)

Molly Hatchet said:
Just to clarify.. I can't speak about contracts in other states because I'm not licensed there and they all have some differences. (Miss,TN, AL, do have them) State Farm does have a recreational vehicle insurance policy that is designed for dune/rock/mud/ATV buggies. You do not have to have a Vin number. You may have to create a serial number and stamp it on the buggy for id purposes. The optional coverages are liability, medical payments, collision/theft, underinsured/uninsured motorest coverage. If a claim occurs during a sanctioned race where you win a trophy or money is paid out after the race no coverage is provided during the race. If you have a SF agent and he or she said no its most likely because they don't want to take on the risk not that they can't do it. In a few cases its because they just don't know about it. I read the "fine print" so I know what it says. I even went as far as calling the underwritting department and the claims department. I'm not posting this for business purposes I just wanted to help y'all out. I love this hobby so I want to help people in it when I can. Some other companies do have this contract as well but I don't know about them. When the **** hits the fan you are much better off being with a captive agency like State Farm, etc. Those agents have relationships with underwritting, claims, and the corporate side of the company to make sure you are taken care of. You also need to consider a Personal liability Umbrella in case something serious happened in a liability situation to protect you from someone coming after assets you don't want to give to them. (house, 401k, future wages etc.)

I think you are right in that my agent may just be ignorant of the fact that the policy exists. Can you email me a blank contract for the policy you are talking about not only so I can read it myself but also show it to my agent? I agree, I would much rather be with State Farm than someone like Grundy. In fact, of all the companies I have ever been with SF is the only one that I consider as having any sort of morals whatsoever. They've covered all of my claims without argument or trying to get out of it. They are not the cheapest but worth the slight difference, IMO.

My email is [email protected]. Thank you.

J. J.

What state are you in? Each State's policy booklet is different. Also Depending on the State it may or may not be emailable. If its not an emailable state underwritting won't mail me one to mail to you of another state because I am not licensed there. I do know the state of GA I can only mail.. (Ha funny right) but I have requested some copies be sent to me I only have one copy for office use. I just have no coverage in a race or competition hill climbs.. I don't have a buggy to compete for that anyway. I'll just watch all of your hill killing machines..

I'm in FL but if its easier to email me a copy of something from Guam then do so. I want something to take to my agent and say, "Look, here it is, I know it exists, now go find it for me."

Hell, you can fax it to me if you want. My fax number here is 251-447-2986. Thank you.

J. J.

Do I have to have a title for the buggy to get it insured? If I do how do I go about getting it done because I have a vin plate and title for a 89 wrangler but I'm not sure if that will work or not because it in no means looks like a jeep.

bringing this back up - I tried foremost and the price was too high for me (over $125 per month) - did anyone from AL ever get a policy through State Farm?

I have also tried USAA, Farmers, Progressive, and Gieco

Foremost was very good to work with on the quote if it were only cheaper

Single Seater is with Foremost. $441.00 per year. Stated value at $20,000.

Vehicle Description: Off-Road Vehicle

It is listed as a "Dune Buggy"

Engine listed in CC's: 6,276

They have photos on file.

Liability $100K-$300K - $155
Property Damage $50K - $36
Med Payments $1K - $88
Damage to vehicle other than collision, $500 deductable - $162